• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oven thermometer with exterior temperature display?

BrooksNYC

Is there such thing as an oven thermometer that lets the cook monitor the oven temperature from outside the oven, i.e. without opening the oven door?

My Manhattan rental has a tiny 1940s Royal Rose oven, "tiny" being another word for "Barbie scale". The thermostat, last I checked, is off by about 80 degrees, and the oven itself is so small that its interior walls don't retain heat well — there's just not enough surface area. The temperature plummets the instant you open the oven door, and then it's another 10 minutes for the temperature to build again.

RoyalRose.jpg

The compartment in the upper left-hand corner, barely wider than a ferret's hips, is the oven. Beneath it, a lilliputian broiler. The rest of the stove is storage for pots and pans.

I have an ordinary oven thermometer inside the oven, but checking the thermometer means opening and closing the oven door and losing heat.

I've seen meat probes that connect to a temperature display via a long wire, so that the temperature display sits on top of the stove while the meat is cooking. Would this work as an oven thermometer if I just draped the meat probe over an oven rack? I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks. . . Hattip.gif

Edited by BrooksNYC (log)

Thanks for your input, everyone. All great ideas.

Sounds like either a baking or a meat-probe thermometer will do the trick. And I've wanted a baking stone for years! Appreciate the nudge.

Again, many thanks for your help.

I use a meat probe.. I am doing a bit of low temp cooking ( 140 F ) that I don't want to open the door either. I couldn't keep my oven very stable with the Bake setting-- Convection was my best option.

Its good to have Morels

The reviews on that Breville oven are really excellent. Bookmarked for future reference, and thanks, gfweb.

Counter space here in Pixie Kitchen is at a premium. I could plunk the Breville on top of the Royal Rose, but will probably wait for my loyal toaster oven (30 years old and still firing) to give up the ghost.

Paul, what's cookin' at 140°? Oven roux? Dried fruit? Didn't know that convection ovens were more stable. Thanks for the tip.

Am pretty sure that even with a new oven thermometer, I'll have to hover near the stove to monitor the temperature. Erratic behavior seems to be in the cards for a 65-year-old stove.

Not that I'm pointing the finger. I'm kinda flighty myself.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem in that my oven's thermometer is incredibly inaccurate. The oven itself is a 1967 Frigidaire. I've been using it for two years and I love it, but ever since I had the lower heating element replaced, it gets much hotter than the dial would indicate. I've been through two Taylor High Heat Oven Thermometers and both have stopped working relatively quickly. I need to find an in-oven thermometer that is not only accurate, but quick (quick enough to keep up with oven, which, when set to 350 will heat up to 450 or higher in 10 minutes or less, if not 550+).

I'm not necessarily looking for an outside-of-the-oven thermometer, just something quick, accurate, and very durable. Any suggestions?

Fat gives things flavor. -- Julia Child

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd just piggy-back on this thread.

Can a meat thermometer be used in an oven, i.e., stuck in the meat while the meat's cooking and then viewed through the oven window? Is that even a good idea?

Also, are there meat thermometers that could be run to the outside and hung on the oven door, like this item: http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25312-oven-chek-digital-bakers-oven-thermometer-ot-3.aspx

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I thought I'd just piggy-back on this thread.

Can a meat thermometer be used in an oven, i.e., stuck in the meat while the meat's cooking and then viewed through the oven window? Is that even a good idea?

Also, are there meat thermometers that could be run to the outside and hung on the oven door, like this item: http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25312-oven-chek-digital-bakers-oven-thermometer-ot-3.aspx

Yes. That model is sold in a variety of cases and brands. I got mine years ago at the business costco in Hayward. These days I mostly use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375301427&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et732

It can monitor the oven temp and the meat temp and I primarily use it for smoking or grilling. I also like the fact that I can take the receiver with me throughout the house.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Yes. That model is sold in a variety of cases and brands. I got mine years ago at the business costco in Hayward. These days I mostly use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375301427&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et732

It can monitor the oven temp and the meat temp and I primarily use it for smoking or grilling. I also like the fact that I can take the receiver with me throughout the house.

Being able to take the receiver throughout the house seems like a great idea! Thanks!

From what I read, it seems that this unit can monitor both meat temp (doneness) and oven temp simultaneously. Is that correct?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Yes, it does both at the same time. One of the probes comes with clip that clips onto your grill or oven rack - that's the one that monitors the oven temp. The other is pointed so you can insert it into meat or whatever you are cooking. You can also set alarms for both. The oven temp alarm wouldn't be much use for a normal oven but can alert you if the fire needs tending in your smoker or grill.

If you don't want to order online, you won't find this in your typical kitchen supply shop, but you are likely to find it in a BBQ shop. If there's a place near you that sells Big Green Eggs, they have the same thing with the BGE brand on it. That's actually what mine is, but I don't own a BGE.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have a bbq thermometer with two probes, one for meat, one for the bbq. That would definitely work and the oven one goes up to very high temp. Has a wireless receiver too (that I have somewhere in the house....)
I use it in my big green egg all the time, definitely would work for an oven. Brand is Redi Check. Cost around $40 I believe.

A meat thermometer would work too, but usually they don't go up high enough (only concern if you plan to use high temps in the oven)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog