• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leveling my stove grates

DMS

My KA 4 burner cooktop grates are unlevel. The cooktop itself is perfectly level front to back and side to side. Any suggestions what I could use to level the legs on the grates? They have a plug that is set into a leg hole. When previous plugs have fallen out, I've tried varying glues but they never seem to hold. It drives me nuts that everything flows to one edge of my pans. Help!

Thanks!

No. There is no adjustment. They slide up into the leg and rest at the lip of the plug. I don't think I can put anything up the leg. Maybe I could file down the bottom. that is about all I can think of doing.

Would you know how to measure the height disparity? The easiest solution is to put something in the shorter ones, or alternately put "spacers" in all of them, with differing internal heights.

The steel balls from small ball bearings might work, if you can get a few in different sizes. Barring that, you can make your own plugs out of small machine screws (I'm guessing #6-32 would be a workable size to start), and use nuts, doubled up, to set your own height.