• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your best use of Mexican Chorizo

Emily_R

My recommendation is, if it's in plastic, don't buy it as it will probably be just a ball of red grease. I get it at a Mexican meat counter where it's made in shop.

Crumble it up and cook with potato and onion and scramble in a couple 0f eggs

That was my experience. Not a very good ball of red grease either. In Kansas City, KS Krizman's House of Sausage makes a pretty good chorizo. I have learned my lesson.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Mexican Chorizo is one of the easiest sausages to make at home, too: I highly recommend it. You can even use a food processor to "grind" the pork if you don't have a meat grinder; the texture is not quite the same, but it still works. And then you know what's in it (and what's not).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Dakki- that does look outstanding! Very similar to one of our favorite taco places here in KC, they take it to a crazy level and throw a fried egg on top.

We had some leftover Mexican chorizo in the fridge after our NYE party, and my wife added mixed it in w/the burger meat one night. I am definitely a fan, nice addition.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

If you're in the bay area, the Fatted Calf makes really good chorizo. It's especially amazing how good it is considering how well they understand the European tradition. When Diana Kennedy was here, they made her Oaxacan version for her and she seemed to like it a lot. I loved it.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried making a pasta sauce with it?

Hi Chris

Macarrones* con Chorizo is a fairly traditional dish in Central Mexico (Jalisco, Guanajuato, Quertaro etc.,). Penne Pasta tossed with sauteed, pan fried Chorizo & sauced with Tomato (fresh tomatoes, par boiled, peeled, pureed with roasted garlic, salt)... the dish is dressed with Crema, Cotija, Pickled Vegetables & typically a side of Ensalada Verde (key lime macerated onions tossed with cilantro, fresh jalapenos & Orejona lettuce - a broad, short variety of Romaine)

* Macarrones.. much to the annoyance of Italians everywhere, hollow pastas in Mexico are generically referred to as Macarrones

Other variants of a similar dish is to toss the pasta with Picadillo (Ground Beef sauteed with Onions, Carrots & Peas) instead of Chorizo

In Mexico City, Fideos Secos (Dry Vermicelli) is a very popular dish making regular appearances in most homes, cantinas & neighborhood fondas here is a representative recipe from Patricia Jinich published in the Washington Post:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2010/01/13/mexican-style-pasta-tomato-sauce-and-chorizo/

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried making a pasta sauce with it?

Macarrones* con Chorizo is a fairly traditional dish in Central Mexico (Jalisco, Guanajuato, Quertaro etc.,). Penne Pasta tossed with sauteed, pan fried Chorizo & sauced with Tomato (fresh tomatoes, par boiled, peeled, pureed with roasted garlic, salt)... the dish is dressed with Crema, Cotija, Pickled Vegetables & typically a side of Ensalada Verde (key lime macerated onions tossed with cilantro, fresh jalapenos & Orejona lettuce - a broad, short variety of Romaine)

You inspired me!

Made rigatoni and the sauce was chorizo with canned tomotoes (whole peeled),oregano indio, and cotija cheese. I didn't bother with the crema but I did used my homemade chipotle en vinagre (made with banana vinegar and piloncillo) for the pickled vegetable. It was incredible.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray