• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aqua Chef Water Oven

BadRabbit

Has anyone tried or seen the AquaChef Water oven? It's relatively inexpensive compared to the Sous Vide Supreme (about $140 compared to $400).

I've been wondering when someone would be throwing a competing piece of equipment out there since I've built a DIY version for $50 bucks and assume it could be made commercially for practically nothing. I love my homemade one but would like to have something a little more pleasing to the eye when on the counter.

I wonder how precise the thing is and if it's a PID controller or just thermostat. I don't think I'd buy it if it's just a thermostat.

The free trial is intriguing but I've been fooled on those before with "restocking fees" or just a return process so convoluted that the customer gives up.

http://www.kitchenadvance.com/aquachef.php

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

Has anyone tried or seen the AquaChef Water oven? It's relatively inexpensive compared to the Sous Vide Supreme (about $140 compared to $400).

Looks very much like the Waring Pro deep fryer adapted for another purpose. Have doubts that it is a serious sous-vide set up.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks very much like the Waring Pro deep fryer adapted for another purpose. Have doubts that it is a serious sous-vide set up.

It's really all about how they have the thing controlled and the quality of the temperature measurement (I'd assume it's probably a thermocouple). A "serious sous vide set-up" isn't a very complicated thing. It would be better if it was insulated but I've done plenty of very precise SV in Rubbermaid containers.

It's just a deep fryer, they didn't even bother to change the basket mechanism. I would think this would be horrible for sous vide because home deep fryers fluctuate a lot and could have 20 degree temp swings that would ruin your food.

It's just a deep fryer, they didn't even bother to change the basket mechanism. I would think this would be horrible for sous vide because home deep fryers fluctuate a lot and could have 20 degree temp swings that would ruin your food.

Nobody is denying that it's a repurposed deep fryer but if there is a PID controlling mechanism it won't matter. I'd guess that 25% of the people on this forum use repurposed gadgets for sous vide. I've seen countertop roasters and rice cookers tranformed into rigs that will hold temps within .5 deg C (some tighter than that).

If this company has really just changed the name on a fryer and claimed it works as a water oven, they'll end up killing somebody. Maybe they're that reckless (or ignorant) but I hope not. I personally couldn't find a fryer that had a control panel like that (or even very similar).

All of that is why I was hoping someone had actually used the thing and could offer a real review instead of pointing out the obvious that it looks like a deep fryer.

Update:

I spoke with customer service and they claim it is PID controlled and will hold within 1 degree. That's not quite as tight as I'd like but unlikely to be a big deal unless I'm playing around near the danger zone.

I may try it out and will give my review.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this product and naturally hot-footed it over here to see if anyone's used it. I've already got two Sous Vide Supremes but if this maintains good temp control it would be a great item to recommend for those wanting to get into sous vide on the cheap. Def looks like a repurposed fryer, just wonder how tight the temps will run.

BTW, there's another new player on the market called the Stealth from undergroundcirculators.com. The restaurant where I work got one recently and it's a pretty solid, no-frills unit. It has an impeller to circulate water and seems to heat 20 gallons without trouble. It has no features at all- you can't even switch the display from C to F. But for $500 it's a solid machine.