• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has Anyone Tried Making Thin Sandwich Rolls?

zoe b

I've been buying the whole grain ones--I think they're made by Pepperidge Farm. They are handy to grab and use for a sandwich, or just butter & have with some soup.

I think I could make better ones, though--I'm thinking of a whole grain dread dough, wetter than usual, roll out very thin discs, let rise & bake--has anyone done this, or have any ideas?

I agree that high hydration isn't the way to go. To approximate the texture of the storebought thin rolls, you'll want something closer to a pita or sandwich loaf texture. I was thinking that a whole-wheat pita dough, stretched and docked (poked all over with a fork), might yield a tender, flat, pocketless round similar to the PepFarms version.

Edited by HungryC (log)

ok--well, the thin rolls aren't like ciabatta or pizza dough, but thanks, Lisa & runwestierun. And Blather--as gorgeous as your rolls are, that's not what i'm looking for, either.

I think you're right, HungryC--the texture of the rolls is like pita, or the crust end of sandwich bread--I'll try the pita recipe tomorrow--lord knows, I've never had any luck making a pita that's a pita, so maybe I'll be able to make the thin rolls, instead!

Heidi said--

These products are generally marketed as a healthier and lower calorie item. Is that part of your concern? That might narrow down the responses and options.

well, not completely--although I want to make them with some kind of whole grain, and the fact that they are small means that they are lower in calories--I like the convenience of them--and I don't like any of the packaged sandwich rolls available at the supermarket.

It would be great to have a bag of homemade rolls in the freezer to grab when I need one .

Thanks, Isabelle--that recipe is similar to one a member posted from the Fleischmann's Yeast site--except yours has an egg--I think I'll try both versions.

dcarch--magnificent bread & pics--what recipe do you use, if I may ask?

Thanks, Isabelle--that recipe is similar to one a member posted from the Fleischmann's Yeast site--except yours has an egg--I think I'll try both versions.

dcarch--magnificent bread & pics--what recipe do you use, if I may ask?

Thanks, nothing special, except I added wild rice flour.

dcarch

Have you considered using a normal soft sandwich bread and then slicing it and compacting it with a press or rolling pin after baking?

it's a thought, but you wouldn't get all the nice crust that you get from the little rolls--I love crust!