• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parmesan Whey

GlowingGhoul

I've made the parmesan water by using ground parmesan and water and letting it be stirred at 70C in a Thermomix for 1/2 an hour. Did not find a use for the whey as most of the flavour was in the water. However be warned once the whey sets as it cools it's very very difficult to get off, think parmesan cheese moulded into the container

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

• 2 weeks later...

I use whey for a sauce of whatever I'm using the cheese for. For example, when I make ricotta, I use the whey to make my buerre monte which is used to glaze the finished pasta.

- Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

I've made the parmesan water by using ground parmesan and water and letting it be stirred at 70C in a Thermomix for 1/2 an hour. Did not find a use for the whey as most of the flavour was in the water. However be warned once the whey sets as it cools it's very very difficult to get off, think parmesan cheese moulded into the container

I'm not getting this: What make this 'whey' set? The whey is the thin, liquid fraction that doesn't set.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org