• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick Chicken Safety Question

sadistick

A bit late to the party, but this is pretty much what my mom would do - take frozen stuff out in the morning, set on counter and then cook for dinner. The same time frame. Not per the governmental guides but the norm in many households.

People being unaware or not caring about safe handling in most households probably accounts for most instances of so called "24 hr flus"

To the comment that the toxins are already there. There are low levels of them because there are low levels of the bacteria that create them. The higher the level of bacteria , (growth from being left out at room temp) the higher the levels of toxin will be. I have never experienced the joy of this type of food poisoning , but knowing someone who has, I will say it is not pretty .

All that considered I would still have used it, as room temp was low enough and the time at room temp wasn't long enough to worry me.

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow