• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat used in Thai penang curry?

Hi,

We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day and had beef in penang curry and it was really yum! The beef was very tender - was wondering if anyone knew what cut of meat is usually used by restaurants and how they get it tender? I'm sure they've done somethign to it to make it tender as I've noticed the same thing in Chinse restaurant meat as well.

Thankyou!

As OnigiriFB mentioned above, it's often sirloin although I've also heard of restaurants that use flank. As for the tenderizing part, some restaurants will pound the meat to break down the fibers. If the meat is especially soft (almost gelatinous/mushy), it has probably been treated with meat tenderizer which is an enzyme extracted from papayas.