• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why The Saveur 100 Issue Bugs Me

weinoo

Because I realize I am not alone in my addiction: #20 Griswold Cast Iron, #89 Jambon-Beurre

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Simple - because I find at least a dozen things that I must buy.

Starting with #32 - The Picardie Tumblers.

Picardie tumblers are the best. Nearly indestructible, handsome, stack beautifully, versatile, pleasant in the hand. On the rare occasion they DO break it's spectacular -- hundreds of little glassy rocks.

On the rare occasion they DO break it's spectacular -- hundreds of little glassy rocks.

Unless one breaks in the dishwasher... then it's not so fun. Ask me how I know :shock:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

The Picardie will remain in our household forever -- miniature grenades notwithstanding :laugh:

We have a cupboard full of 'em, and even more in our storage shed; Duralex's ongoing corporate restructuring and flirtation with bankruptcy a few years ago scared the bejeezus out of me, and I proceeded to back the truck up...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Simple - because I find at least a dozen things that I must buy.

Starting with #32 - The Picardie Tumblers.

They are on sale w/ free shipping at Sur La Table.

Thank you!

The Picardie will remain in our household forever -- miniature grenades notwithstanding :laugh:

We have a cupboard full of 'em, and even more in our storage shed; Duralex's ongoing corporate restructuring and flirtation with bankruptcy a few years ago scared the bejeezus out of me, and I proceeded to back the truck up...

I just ordered twice as many as I needed due to above sale.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ahh! A kindred spirit! I'm the same way. Love the Duralex Picardie glass. I have a cupboard full of them in all sorts of sizes also and more are boxed and set aside for when they are needed or not made anymore. I grew up with these glasses and I took them with me when I moved from home the first time. I began hunting for them again 5-6 years ago when my supply was getting low. They were hard to find at one point so I kept buying them as I found them. On the sidelines I even watched an eBay bidding war a couple of years ago where group of glasses went for over $100... insanely stupid of the person. I guess the same could be said of me with my doomsday stash.

I also followed the company's woes as they went from plan to plan, and was hoping somehow they would find a way to save the company. It looks like they did.

You can find them now at Williams and Sonoma, Sur la Table, Cost Plus Imports, and Costco. You have to be careful of and check the quality at Cost Plus. The cheapest is Costco $25 for 18 in SO. Cal. Yes I bought 2 boxes...just for the large tublers which are $3.99 a piece at Cost Plus. My personal favorite has always been the 6 oz. Good for coffee, hot tea, cafe su da, wine, juice.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

• 9 months later...

Just thought I'd mention that some Duralex has shown up at my local Tuesday Morning. Tumblers range from $9.99 (5oz) to $15.99 (17 oz)for 6. They also had ramekins, $5.99 for 4, dishes, and two other types of glass: straight sided and flared.

Gawd this Duralex reminds me of that hideous green and yellow glassware of the 70's! But, there will be no contempt prior to investigation...

I've had glasses ruined by repeated exposure to Electrasol/Finish and similar powerball type detergent in my dishwasher. How does the Duralex stand up to such chemical abuse?