• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What keeps you away from it?

Suvir Saran

Excelent Question, I hope others chime in.

I never was exposed to it as a child and had no experience with it. I did not know what to expect. Once I did try it, I was rewarded with amazing flavors and textures. I think many people are affraid of intense flavors or non-western flavors even if they are delicious.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

First: We adore Indian Food. We are a little ashamed that we don't cook it more often ('tho thanks to you, we are cooking it more already. :biggrin: )

Oddly,we discussed this a couple of nights ago.

To many Westerners, who have not had the luck to grow up eating/watching folks cooking, Indian cooking seems incredibly exotic, and the ingredients list can be intimidating. But often the most important thing is that I don't have any "remembered palate" to go by. Indian food is so subtle and sophisticated that we don't know if we're "Getting It Right."

For example, I kinda know what a Moules Mariniere or Carbonnade se Boeuf should taste like, and what to shoot for. Because these dishes are familiar to me. Not so many Indian dishes.

So what we have decided is that we will plough ahead, do our best, hope for authenticity. And if it tastes wonderful, maybe authenticity isn't *that* important! :smile:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

what keeps me away from eating it is finding good restaurants nearby.

Cooking is a different question -- it's usually the problem of not having fresh ingredients around and not having time to go to the market. And I'm scared to open my big tupperware tub of bulk-bought spices because when I bought them I was too cocky to write down what they were on each little bag, and now I can't really smell the difference (which leads me to believe of course that they're too old).

Anyone know what type of store sells little empty spice bottles?

What am I doing about it? I'm seeing a therapist twice a week and having accupressure.

How did I get to this point? I clicked on the "today's active topics" and thought this was an interesting post.

I absolute LOVE Indian food. Eating it, cooking it, smelling it - everything about it.

I know several people who just "don't like Indian food." I'm wondering the same thing you are, Suvir. Is it one particular spice that bothers some people? A combination of spices?

Interesting question.

You can get them by mail from places like Vann's and Penzey, and probably other spice sellers. But if there's a "health food" store near you, check with them. Some regular drug stores, too. Some sell small empty jars for the customers to fill with their own concoctions.

I'm the only individual in this 100 person office who wants to seek out Indian food. It's a cuisine that others in this office don't readily embrace. Part of the problem is that most of the Indian food in this town is of the steam table variety. Yuck. Mrs. Varmint doesn't want to spend a night on the town (when we're paying a babysitter) learning to explore a cuisine relatively unknown to her, particularly when we know that the "best" restaurant in town is very mediocre, if that.

Because of this unfamiliarity with the cuisine, making it is even more difficult. I don't know what constitutes good vs. bad Indian food. Next time I visit the "big city" (whichever "big city" that might be), I'll need one of you to be my Indian food guide.

Of course, if I can negotiate a deal to get Suvir to come to North Carolina for a weekend, I could learn a heck of a lot!!!

Suvir???? :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I am just learning to eat Indian food. I am unable to eat really spicy food, it has negative repercusions on my system, but I've found in the Indian restaurants I've been to, they've been able to "tone it down" for me. This is always a problem in our house since my husband loves spicy stuff, the spicier and hotter, the better.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I use these chemical storage bottles. Amber glass is good since it's light protective.

I got mine from VWR (catalog number 16180-025) but any scientific supply place should have similar bottles.

Cool. But can you let me use your account number? I want to load up on all my haz-mat needs, and it's easier if they bill you directly.

Warning -- if you enter "Vann" and "Spice" on google, you will get "Vann's Spice House." It is not a spice house. It is a spicy house.

(I now return you to the regularly scheduled thread.)

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

My first experiences involved curry and chutney. They were probably not done right and so after that, I've never tried it (Indian) again. The same thing happened after I first tried Creole. A restaurant in Boston as I remember. I've never tried it again either.

It's in the spices and whether they're put together in a way that a neophyte can understand.

I've never eaten in a posh Indian restaurant because I've never had a guide (person or book) to tell me how to do it properly. - "Should I put this on the naan and eat it that way, or would that just make everyone aware that I'm an ignorant tourist? Should I mix this and that other thing, or not?"

I enjoy the food, but haven't cooked it very much. Again, simple ignorance. However, a few weeks ago, I made a curry shrimp using a recipe in (don't laugh) Joy Of Cooking. It may not have been completely "authentic", but it was more than just "dump prepared curry powder on shrimp." It had fresh curry leaves, lots of fenugreek, and several other spices. It was very time-consuming to make though - over two hours for prep plus cooking. Deeply carmelizing lots of onions took quite a long time, as it was done per the instructions at somewhat low heat. The result was fantastic though, and I'd do it again. I think I'll have to - I now have a large bottle of fenugreek that I need to find more uses for. :smile:

Suvir, you're doing a fantastic job as Press Officer for Indian Cookery (Monica too!) :biggrin:

I'm the only individual in this 100 person office who wants to seek out Indian food.  It's a cuisine that others in this office don't readily embrace.  Part of the problem is that most of the Indian food in this town is of the steam table variety.  Yuck.  Mrs. Varmint doesn't want to spend a night on the town (when we're paying a babysitter) learning to explore a cuisine relatively unknown to her, particularly when we know that the "best" restaurant in town is very mediocre, if that.

Because of this unfamiliarity with the cuisine, making it is even more difficult.  I don't know what constitutes good vs. bad Indian food.  Next time I visit the "big city" (whichever "big city" that might be), I'll need one of you to be my Indian food guide.

Of course, if I can negotiate a deal to get Suvir to come to North Carolina for a weekend, I could learn a heck of a lot!!! 

Suvir????    :wink:

I am willing and able to negotiate. :smile:

Seriously, I am. Lets do it. I would be more than happy to make a weekend out of it. Teach a class or two.. and share with you whatever I know.

If you are game... Count me in. :biggrin:

I've enjoyed Indian food thoroughly from an eating standpoint (though my tastes are still only barely evolved from total-gringo) for several years, though it's hard to find restaurant food prepared at really high quality in the northern burbs of New York, and I can't really afford Manhattan dining more than sporadically.

From a cooking standpoint, I have the same problems most other people have mentioned - ingredients, lack of trust in my ability to differentiate good from bad, etc - combined with an absolute lack of training in any sort of cooking (I'm self-teaching myself ever so slowly).

However, I've tried cooking it several times, usually with extremely positive results from my guinea pigs. I don't have anywhere near the level of familiarity with either the cuisine, or even the general kitchen to try experimenting, so I've stuck with pre-set recipes for the most part.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Suvir, you're doing a fantastic job as Press Officer for Indian Cookery (Monica too!)  :biggrin:

I agree 100 % - They have such dedication to what they do, it is commendable. Patience in explaining in simple terms, some quite intricate and complex preparations..... Good work both of you'll

anil

I can think of three main reasons...

First, I like diversity. I grew up eating Chinese,

Indian, Creole, French, Italian and Spanish. I just

cannot see myself eating one type of cuisine for

more that a week or two. Now that I'm married

I've added Greek, Thai and Mexican to my

repertoire.

Second, I find Indian cooking very time consuming.

Suvir, it took me over 2 hours to prepare your Tandoori

marinade tonight. Wow LOL. I don't mind once in a while

and I know it's going to be fantastic. Indian cooking is a bit of a

special treat in our home.

Third, is the availability of fresh herbs in my area. If a recipe asks

for fresh coriander or curry leaves and I don't

have any, I might as well not do it.

I've never eaten in a posh Indian restaurant because I've never had a guide (person or book) to tell me how to do it properly. - "Should I put this on the naan and eat it that way, or would that just make everyone aware that I'm an ignorant tourist? Should I mix this and that other thing, or not?"

I enjoy the food, but haven't cooked it very much. Again, simple ignorance. However, a few weeks ago, I made a curry shrimp using a recipe in (don't laugh) Joy Of Cooking. It may not have been completely "authentic", but it was more than just "dump prepared curry powder on shrimp." It had fresh curry leaves, lots of fenugreek, and several other spices. It was very time-consuming to make though - over two hours for prep plus cooking. Deeply carmelizing lots of onions took quite a long time, as it was done per the instructions at somewhat low heat. The result was fantastic though, and I'd do it again. I think I'll have to - I now have a large bottle of fenugreek that I need to find more uses for.  :smile:

Suvir, you're doing a fantastic job as Press Officer for Indian Cookery (Monica too!)  :biggrin:

Would it be improper to ask where you live?

Maybe there are members or lurkers from you area that could help you organise an Indian tasting... or maybe I am not too far.. and I would volunteer organising a meal myself... :smile:

My co-writer (for my cookbook), Stephanie, did the Indian recipes for Joy Of Cooking. I can well imagine the recipes working very well. She is a stickler for detail. And loves Indian food. Also Stephanie is famous for her brilliance with seafood. You were lucky and smart in picking the curry shrimp recipe. I am glad to hear it worked well. What did you like about this curry? Did you use fenugreek seeds or powder or leaves? I am guessing seeds... But one never knows.

Human Bean, our jobs as press officers are made easy with the wonderful job each of you do by posting in this froum and around the site. It is encouraging and inspiring. Thanks for your own input. I look forward to reading more. :smile:

I can think of three main reasons...

First, I like diversity. I grew up eating Chinese,

Indian, Creole, French, Italian and Spanish. I just

cannot see myself eating one type of cuisine for

more that a week or two. Now that I'm married

I've added Greek, Thai and Mexican to my

repertoire.

Second, I find Indian cooking very time consuming.

marinade tonight. Wow LOL. I don't mind once in a while

and I know it's going to be fantastic. Indian cooking is a bit of a

special treat in our home.

Third, is the availability of fresh herbs in my area. If a recipe asks

for fresh coriander or curry leaves and I don't

have any, I might as well not do it.

I am sorry the marinade took you so much time to prepare.

What made it so cumbersome?

I have easy and quick recipes.

In fact I did several for Food & Wine magazine that had to be cooked within 45minutes.

Let me know and I can send you those.

I have always enjoyed your posts. And I love your passion for Indian cooking. It comes out through your posts. Keep sharing more of your experiences.

And I shall keep you in mind when testing the next marinade. Again, sorry it took so long to make.

Suvir, you're doing a fantastic job as Press Officer for Indian Cookery (Monica too!)  :biggrin:

I agree 100 % - They have such dedication to what they do, it is commendable. Patience in explaining in simple terms, some quite intricate and complex preparations..... Good work both of you'll

Simon, Ajay, Oliva, Polly, Sandra, BettyK, CathyL (Queen of Chutney), and many others including you Anil, do a lot more than you each take or get credit for.

It would not be fun for Monica or I to simply be here sharing what we knew, if it was not for each of you.. and those even just lurking. You all make this as much fun as it is. Thanks for all your participation.

And Ani, it is always great to have you share from your many travels and memories. I am always eager to see what you have up your sleeve next. :smile:

"Should I put this on the naan and eat it that way, or would that just make everyone aware that I'm an ignorant tourist? Should I mix this and that other thing, or not?" (human bean)

right. plus: not knowing a cuisine well, you go very slowly at start, having to feel your way. and these days, my cooking is mostly in the style of slater's fast food. my occasional more or less improvised curries are not bad, though, and i'm looking forward to have the time to try to recreate some of the meals i've had at indian restaurants. perhaps in a year or so, when alvilda is closer to three years!

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

BettyK

It took me, too, at least that long but that was largely because I had no garam masala and had to make that first. Now, however, I have a stash of the garam masala and I am sure I could put together the marinade in a matter of minutes. Further, I also ground extra of the other spices because I knew I would soon repeat the recipe and they should not get too stale in a week. I think we newbies are handicapped because we simply don't have all the spices ready and one who cooks Indian frequently, probably does. The dish was so good and the learning experience so valuable that I now consider it "Continuing Ed." but in my own kitchen. I hope this sounds empathetic and is not in any way misconstrued as so many comments can be!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog