• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying "soon to expire" meat

Snadra

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I don't even like buying it within a day or two of the use by date. Not sure if it's mistrust, paranoia, ignorance or what but I am an absolute date freak about all foods-meat included.

Jeff

Just to be clear, we are not talking about meat that has expired, but is nearing the date. Or at least thats what I'm talking about. Typically, I see it slightly discounted a few days before expiry, and more heavily discounted as expiry approaches. I have never seen meat for sale past expiry (and if I did I would complain to the manager), and rarely on the day of expiry.

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I don't even like buying it within a day or two of the use by date. Not sure if it's mistrust, paranoia, ignorance or what but I am an absolute date freak about all foods-meat included.

Jeff

Just to be clear, we are not talking about meat that has expired, but is nearing the date. Or at least thats what I'm talking about. Typically, I see it slightly discounted a few days before expiry, and more heavily discounted as expiry approaches. I have never seen meat for sale past expiry (and if I did I would complain to the manager), and rarely on the day of expiry.

Thanks for the clarification- that may have been my misunderstanding.

In my local experience it is quite often the more expensive "organic" or "free range" chickens that often go unsold and are price-reduced. This is typically where I get the raw ingredients for my chicken stocks. After all, if they're going to be pressure cooked to extract any last vestige of flavour they're going to be safe, plus you get the added advantage of real chicken taste.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Rip the plastic, smell it. If it smells good buy it and use it. Buy nothing ground.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I buy "used"beef when ever it looks ok(no brown sections)and always when I am gonna grind it up for hamburgers.assuming there is a suitable amount of fat in it,never do fish or other stuff

Bud

The middle-aged discount beef at my local independent grocer (with Union butchers)is impeccable. They don't do discount ground beef, poultry or fish.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com