• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soups when you're sick.

Tim Dolan

You're now an adult and you can't rely on mom hooking you up to an IV of her cancer-curing chicken noodle soup. So what do you do? I have a cold coming on hard and fast and I wanted to see what other people eat to get them through 3 days of dull misery.

When I'm in a pinch I like to get standard Campbell's tomato soup and rig it up with about 2 cloves of fresh garlic, red pepper flakes and enough Sriracha to make me sweat and blow out my sinuses. Quick, easy, satisfying, warms me up and lets me breathe for a little bit. I also LOVE a few packets of Lipton Noodle soup with whatever extra spices I feel like throwing in it. This is a barely a step up from dorm room cooking, but I like it.

Anyone else?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Ooooh! Oooh! (Hand waving frantically in the air). I've got a good one for you!

A while back the NY Times published a recipe for an amazing garlic herb broth -- it is like liquid health, and is delicious enough that even non sick people like it)... You can either have the broth straight, or even better, make it into a simple avgolemono soup, with some rice cooked in there, and then the juice lemon and an egg drizzled in at the end. Here's the recipe:

Garlic Broth Avgolemono

Note that you can skip the blanching the garlic step -- just cut the head of garlic down the center (across all the cloves), and throw the whole thing in the water.

Feel better!

I have an emergency supply of Lin Hong Kong hot and sour soup which works for me when I am feeling a bit rocky.

I haven't had a cold or the flu for years but this stuff is like magic when I have aches and pains.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I will make my own chicken soup. Maybe noodles, maybe matzoh balls. I keep a stockpile of homemade chicken stock in the freezer for emergencies like this.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Instant ramen in chicken broth, with enough lime and hot sauce to block whatever flavors the other ingredients originally had.

That garlic broth sounds appealing right about now. I think I'll try it.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Take out hot and sour soup, preferably Lee How Fook if I can drag myself out to fetch it, otherwise Szechuan Tasty House delivery. If I'm so bad off I can barely make it down to the kitchen then it's Progresso Chickarina all the way or Chicken-in-a-pot from the Famous 4th Street Deli around the corner...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

take out extra spicy Hot and sour soup.. I prefer from JF CHEN here in town.

Avgolemono .. either homemade or bought from a local greek restaurant.

A concoction of miso , benito flake , microplaned fresh ginger,shredded carrots, finely sliced green onions and garlic/ chilli paste. with or without a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. maybe a squeeze of lime. A pretty messed up confusion but I tend to dump anything with flavour in to make up for not being able to taste well.

very occasionally my wife will bring home a curried fish soup from her Indian friend at work. The last time it happened to coincide with a mild cold I was suffering though. It helped clear me out and feel better for a few hours afterwards.

Real fast and easy.. Rooster noodles ( plain 3 min noodles) , pacific organic low sodium chicken broth, dash of dark mushroom soy, ribbon microplaned carrot and fresh garlic, zest microplaned fresh ginger, spoon or two of garlic chilli paste or sirracha to taste.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow