• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

Sorry FeChef,

I didn't understand that you were reporting on your attempt to recreate McD's "Mighty Wings" at home. In retrospect, I should have picked that up by the paper towel backdrop of your photo. I thought you were speaking about your attempt to try the wings at the resto.

Can you tell I'm a bit prejudiced toward McD's?

I don't care for heavily breaded fried food, but more power to the many that do, and to the millions that have made McD's an economic giant. I will not be joining them.

Again, sorry for my comment, and I would never have made it if I'd been more on the ball. My bad.  :blush:

Sorry again

> ^ . . ^ <

No worries mate. I am prejudiced toward Mc D's prices, so thats why i tried to clone there mighty wings. Plus they discontinued them aswell. You have to give them credit for taking such crap quality ingredients and making them taste pretty damn good. Once you get past the health risks, you might find you enjoy the taste of there toxic foods. :raz:

• Like 1

McDonald's, in a sort of decline  (   :huh:  )  is going to try again is an " Angus Sirloin Burger "

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2015/04/07/burger-deja-vu-mcdonalds-tries-upscale-burgers-again/

if you cant read the above, try a google on McDonalds Sirloin burger

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mcdonald's+sirloin+burger&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=X&as_q=&nfpr=&spell=1&ei=Qi8lVZHMIorRsAXi24HgDg&ved=0CBEQvwU

it going to set you back at least $ 5  or more

all they really need to do to 'hold the line' is get those BIgMac's and EggMcMuffins hotter :

ie w melted cheese.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

the implications made in the WSJ and the NYTimes are that McD makes too many things, which slows delivery of the

'food'  .  People go to McD for 'Fast'.  Maybe the heard there fears changing its mind and waling out.

All they need is the EggMcMuffs and maybe the hash-browns 24/7

Your wish is granted as they are moving towards breakfast all day. 

Despite all the bad press and current health trends McD's stock price hasn't really suffered. I bet they are really kicking themselves for spinning off Chipotle...

less stuff, delivered piping hot, would help the stock a lot.

WSJ suggested that McD's stock should be looked at as a " 5 % bond "

its been 'mid-90's $$$ ' for almost 15 years.

Edited by rotuts (log)

That's how I'm looking at it. It's off the highs so in the near term the advantage is the drip at discount prices. When things pick up internationally then the price will rise.

I haven't read this whole thread. But to be relevant:

My preferences are not for this type of fast food generally. But I agree. Hot, fresh and quick. Simplify the menu. Innovate customer service experience instead of what was a perfect menu (years ago). 

I think the problem with "hot" sandwiches or lack thereof is that they premake them- right?. Even if they just sit for several minutes there is a short lifespan to a burger or egg sandwich to be dealt with and they cool down quick even under a heat lamp.

• Like 1

I had not been to McDonald's in years, and about two years ago, found myself at a twenty-four hour one at 5:00 AM in the market for a breakfast biscuit. The only other people in the restaurant were employees.

I ordered up a country ham (this isn't on the menu, but it's available on request in NC), egg and cheese biscuit. I watched it being pulled from a stainless steel cabinet under the counter. Why, I thought when they have no demand for breakfast at this hour?

Top that off with the cheese wasn't melted, and the biscuit was so much smaller than the last one I'd ordered several years ago. I still found myself hungry after eating it, and because where else was I going to go at that hour, I ordered another mediocre lukewarm leftover biscuit.

I haven't darkened their doors (or drive-thru) since.

Oh, and you non-Southerners, please don't get excited or jealous about the NC country ham at McD's. It's not very good to start with, and they sliced it almost paper thin. You are lucky if there's half an ounce on your biscuit anymore.

> ^ . . ^ <

File this under "Things that make you go hmmm..."

So McDonald's announced recently that they would no longer purchase chicken with antibiotics in them. Which means they now have a huge amount of antibiotic-y chicken to use up before the antibiotic free chicken enters their supply chain. What to do with all of that antibiotic-y chicken?

Their most recent promotion: Two McChicken sandwiches for two dollars. :hmmm:

Really, McDonald's?

And they're the worst sandwiches ever conceived...a dollop of mayo, the breaded chicken piece and some shreds of lettuce on a hamburger bun. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The issue with antibiotics and chickens is not so much drugs in the meat, its more all the antibiotic-treated poo bacteria that get shat into the environment and are actually on many of the birds in the supermarket.  Something like 30% supermarket chicken with resistant staph sticks in my head.

• Like 1

Hey y'all!

Don't know if this a nationwide thing or not, but they are airing ads on our local broadcast area that are touting double cheeseburgers for a buck until the end of the month. Get it while you can.

I think, but can't prove, because I am just too lazy to do the research, that I reported upthread on my side-by- side experiences with the cheaper replacement "McDouble" and the original "Double Cheeseburger." If your as obsessive as me, you can go to the nutrition part of the website and see that the McDouble is just a bunch smaller than the double cheeseburger. Otherwise, take my word: not as good a value.

I know these are not haute cusine or anything, but for this little country girl who has to cook dang near every single day, they are a tolerable and affordable break. Husband love's 'em, so he's happy, which is always my goal.

The national website shows double cheeseburgers on the dollar menu, but I didn't find anything on the expiration date.

Get 'em while you can if you care.

ETA: and like rotuts says, you are going to have to nuke this thing to get the cheese melted. At least with double cheeseburgers, you won't have to remove any veggies first and then re-add them.

But I still hate their steam cabinets.  :smile:

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

its a shame the fast food joints like McD and BK don't understand the melted cheese thing

but I guess that's good in a way, as for sure it keeps me away

the sausage egg cheese McMuff is really a nice breakfast sometimes if its piping hot.

my local food store  ( RocheBro.) makes these in several versions.  the EM is crunchy and the cheese is melted.

2.99 when they don't sell out.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

eggs seem to have taken a hit at the market due to bird flu or what ever it is

my local market chain makes a much better egg/sausage/cheese/muffin in the AM   : 2.89

they aren't making many now

their eggs  ( its become a bit pricy as their local similar market was sold to WF ) used to go for 2.99 or so and now are 3.99 and on the way up

Market Basket sold the same eggs for 1.49 now 2.49

so  back to the question

should you 'happen' to find yourself at McD  what's the Egg/sausage/McMuff these days

maybe they use the smallest eggs possible    not the universal large.

...should you 'happen' to find yourself at McD  what's the Egg/sausage/McMuff these days

maybe they use the smallest eggs possible    not the universal large.

Eggs are an issue as an ingredient. They're not something that can sit in a warehouse for a year. They need to be fresh. So it's likely that prices will fluctuate with the current availability in the market. On the other hand, corporate behemoths like McDonald's can also lock in prices for supplies a year at a time so the daily market prices shouldn't impact their bottom lines too much. It will be interesting to see how this all impacts their prices.

The bird flu impact on availability of eggs and chickens will reverberate for months to come. Not only in the price of eggs and the price of chicken but in products that use eggs as ingredients (such as mayo). Also, Thanksgiving may be a price shocker in the U.S. as well since millions of turkeys have also been slaughtered due to the bird flu and the turkey farmers aren't sure that a new "crop" of turkeys will be mature enough in time to become Thanksgiving turkeys. So the price of this year's Thanksgiving turkey may also heavily impact consumer spending for the holiday.

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed while patronizing a local McD's that their menu has changed quite a bit from what it used to be. "Streamlined" would be the appropriate word. Their Value Menu (formerly known as the Dollar Menu) has been thinned out going from about 20 items to now just 5 or so. It reminded me a little of the menu at In-and-Out Burgers which is as simple as it gets.

Apparently, the fast food market is currently slowing down if not shrinking. So they're apt to try and lure customers back in with specialty items.

Case in point:

McDonald’s Lobster Roll

This summer, McDonald’s is offering a lobster roll at participating restaurants in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. The sandwich will cost $7.99 — pricier than most of its menu items — but it clocks in at just 290 calories, making it healthier than many other menu items.

I wish they would offer that sandwich here! I'll be "jonesing" for lobster for the rest of the week thanks to that picture of the sandwich; a yen that will not be sated here on the left coast of the U.S. where lobster is far from affordable (which is another thing that pisses me off about the Food Network where the chefs use lobster in their dishes as if it were as cheap as bologna).

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Apparently, the fast food market is currently slowing down if not shrinking.

Excellent!

You say "apparently," but do you have any stats to support that?  I'd love to know more about this.

... Shel

there is no way that picture of a lobster roll represent what you might get at McD in new england

in the same sense that the pics of the BigMac are fairly distant from what a bigmac 'in the box' is

i can't imagine many people in NE trying that. this time of the year many supermarkets set up 'stands' in the grocery for

limited hours to sell these rolls, 'made to order'

but its still interesting that McD is moving in this direction

I was in Maine in '99 on vacation and had my first ever experiences of lobster rolls.  I saw signs for them at McD's then and told my friends back home about it.  I did not try one at McD's, couldn't imagine it nor imagine locals going there, unless the price was just too good to pass up.

Lobster rolls have been big here the last couple of years.  A Maine expat opened a shop on the far north side and people drove from all over (including me).  They opened a second location and tried a third and a truck but had to give up on the latter two because of financial difficulties.  Meanwhile, a unit of Cousins Maine Lobster, the guys that were on Shark Tank, came to town and people supposedly stand in line for a couple hours to get one (not me).

Still, I don't expect to see the local McD's jumping on the lobster roll bandwagon.

Edited by brucesw (log)