• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Toliver

McDonald's 2013–

264 posts in this topic

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:12 PM, Toliver said:

McD's...always on the cutting edge of yesterday. ;)

Good one xD.

1 person likes this

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

On 11/23/2016 at 6:18 AM, rotuts said:

has anyone read this book ? 

Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald'sir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=031292987

Thank you for the link. I have not read it but, being from San Diego, I am familiar with most of his story. He did have a temper. When the San Diego Padres (pro baseball) played their fist game, he got on the P.A. system after the game and apologized to the public for how badly the players had played. His wife Joan ran McD's after Ray had passed. She was a kind and generous woman with quite the opposite temperament from Ray.

1 person likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

The origins of the Special Sauce :

delligatti

NYTime obit has details.

I read the Ray & Joan book last night 

I highly recommend it.  I hoping there is a copy at a library near you 

here are some pics of the Joan and Ray  Salvation Army community centers she endowed   they are community centers in at risk neighborhoods around the country

the first one she sponsored while she was alive  , in San Diego.  it was built in an area where both parents or single parents had to work two jobs to get by , and

meant to be a place where children could find a safe place after school  She donated 80 million dollars for this center

joan and ray

after she died she gave the Salvation Army 1.5 billion dollars to build more centers

as I understand it there are 26 centers

their official name is  Ray and Joan Kroc Community Corps Centers.        Corps being a Salvation Army Term.

look for this book if you can,

1 person likes this

They have a promo going on here that if you bring your receipt home and answer a survey that doesn't take me very long on mcdvoice.com, they give you a redemption code to write on that receipt. Then you take the receipt back within 30 days and can redeem it for a free large sandwich if you buy the same (equal of lesser value, of course). I take advantage of it because it takes so much time and effort these days to get the minimal supplies I'm able to carry and relieves me of having to cook that day and usually the next day.  I eat a couple of double cheeseburgers and small fries when I go on a supply run on foot which is four miles round trip with 10 to 15 pounds in my pack on the way back. Then I use another validated receipt to order a couple of sausage and egg biscuits for the next day's food. These reheat really well in the microwave, and are the only things I've found from McDonald's that do. I add my own cheese, because it's cheaper and better. This takes care of my entire food needs for two days.

It took me forever to find out how to use this because there is no clue on the receipt or on McDonald's main website. I think I tripped across mcdvoice.com by Googling McDonalds survey out of desperation. You only have seven days from your initial purchase to complete the survey and qualify for the discount.

I have not been challenged by using a validated discount receipt for an eat in order and then using another validated receipt for a take out order on one visit. I have gotten a free sandwich with a purchased one with a receipt for only a small order of French fries.

Judge me if you will. After you pack everything back that you need to survive like food, drink, clean the house or yourself with, feed pets with or just anything on foot.

I am almost completely sure that there is a post on eG about Christmas gifts somewhere on here. A wife gave her husband a pack pony to pack back groceries. I couldn't find it on a Google search, but I swear it's here somewhere! I even think it was Dave Hatfield, who is deceased now, but lived in rural France. It's a very cute photo of the pony too. Some of you may remember.

I fantasized about it packing my load of supplies uphill, and realized this was not going to happen in Cary, NC. Then I started thinking about a large dog with side packs and/or a cart. That would fly here, I think, as long as I cleaned up after it.  xD

1 person likes this

> ^ . . ^ <

But then you'd have to pack in dog food.

Is it practical for you, on your route, to get one of those wire rolling carts? Pulling or pushing that would, for me, be eminently preferable to a pack. Heck, I'd contemplate a child's Little Tikes wagon.

1 person likes this

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Oh, you lucky Canadians...

"McDonald's sauces will be sold in grocery stores and we can all die happy"

A quote from the article:

"With this launch, Canadians will now be able to experience the world famous sauces they love at home," McDonald's spokesperson Adam Grachnik told Huffington Post Canada. "We look forward to sharing more details soon."

And as if we didn't need more reasons to move to Canada ...

Has anyone ever done a side by side taste test of the Secret/Big Mac Sauce compared to Thousand Island Dressing?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Posted (edited)

Ive enjoyed these books , there are many and a few might be in your library :

todd wilbur mcdonald's secret sauce

Ive also seen a few of the shows , and some of them beat most of which is on commercial tv these days and days or yore.

consider :

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/McDonalds-Special-Sauce-Big-Mac-Sauce-Copycat-Recipe.html

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Oh, you lucky Canadians...

"McDonald's sauces will be sold in grocery stores and we can all die happy"

A quote from the article:

Has anyone ever done a side by side taste test of the Secret/Big Mac Sauce compared to Thousand Island Dressing?

Has anybody cared enough to try? I have never understood the appeal of either one. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Posted (edited)

It's Korean weeks again. Which means mostly oversized MgNugget packs and sauces. But you have to admit they do a good job with those: The Gochujang ("Korean chili sauce") was bold and spicy, the Bulgogi was tangy, garlicky and just sweet enough. The latter I would buy in a bottle. Lemon Herb was ok and Honey Mustard was fine as well. Korean fried chicken is big in Hong Kong, so naturally McD wants to participate. At around 45 HK$ (around 5.5 US$) for a menu with 18 nuggets, fries and iced lemon tea I won't complain (having a pre-dinner beer on the ferry home of course helps supressing the complaining and also promotes ordering an additional dessert afterwards) ...

WP_20170418_19_26_46_Rich.jpg

WP_20170418_19_13_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20170418_19_11_49_Pro.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
2 people like this

@Duvel. Is the chicken really crispy like Korean chicken?

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Duvel. Is the chicken really crispy like Korean chicken?

It's a regular Chicken McNugget, but they are more crispy here than the ones I had in Europe ...

Edited by Duvel Correcting the autocorrect ... (log)
1 person likes this