• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Toliver

McDonald's 2013–

256 posts in this topic

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:12 PM, Toliver said:

McD's...always on the cutting edge of yesterday. ;)

Good one xD.

1 person likes this

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

On 11/23/2016 at 6:18 AM, rotuts said:

has anyone read this book ? 

Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald'sir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=031292987

Thank you for the link. I have not read it but, being from San Diego, I am familiar with most of his story. He did have a temper. When the San Diego Padres (pro baseball) played their fist game, he got on the P.A. system after the game and apologized to the public for how badly the players had played. His wife Joan ran McD's after Ray had passed. She was a kind and generous woman with quite the opposite temperament from Ray.

1 person likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

The origins of the Special Sauce :

delligatti

NYTime obit has details.

I read the Ray & Joan book last night 

I highly recommend it.  I hoping there is a copy at a library near you 

here are some pics of the Joan and Ray  Salvation Army community centers she endowed   they are community centers in at risk neighborhoods around the country

the first one she sponsored while she was alive  , in San Diego.  it was built in an area where both parents or single parents had to work two jobs to get by , and

meant to be a place where children could find a safe place after school  She donated 80 million dollars for this center

joan and ray

after she died she gave the Salvation Army 1.5 billion dollars to build more centers

as I understand it there are 26 centers

their official name is  Ray and Joan Kroc Community Corps Centers.        Corps being a Salvation Army Term.

look for this book if you can,

1 person likes this