• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

The McD's in my neighborhood has a sign pasted to the drive-thru speaker, something to the effect of "We're out of McRibs and won't be getting anymore the rest of the year. Sorry.":hmmm: I think that franchise owner decided he was through with McRibs and all of the hassles that new ingredients involve. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I have to say that that bun looks a hell of a lot better than the ones we Yanks get.

I, too, noticed the bun at least looked highly photogenic. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ive gotten over the lasts few months

two ' sheets ' of coupons for McD's

2 for 1.

Sometime i can't resist further studies of the BigM etc

but Wendy's has countered w a 2 for 5  crispy chicken sandwich 

they cheerfully add extra tomato ( not catsup ) and pickles to mine.;

I bring them home , as W and McD are very close .

Ive gone in the slow hours , and the CkSand was piping hot  and crispy when i got home.

I just added a few drops of Green Tabasco and that was it.   W's added just the right amount of Mayo

BTW.

F.D. :  since ive shown up when the ' restaurant ' [ sic ] was not busy 

they knew to add the tomato and pickle ( after a while ) w/o having to ask

drunk.jpeg.5b3277e2e01ed9ce08f0930044f6b03a.jpeg

I can't imagine ever going to McD's ever again.  even   3 for 1 

4 for 1 would kill me , so that's out.

of course this wont work for you if :

1 ) you don't like chicken

2 ) its too far away , but you could take take your own GreenT  

why not keep a small bottle in the Gove Compartment ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

..... since ive shown up when the ' restaurant ' [ sic ] was not busy 

they knew to add the tomato and pickle ( after a while ) w/o having to ask

why not keep a small bottle in the Gove Compartment ?

Many decades ago when we were all young, an aspiring friend proposed that you should go to one restaurant enough to become known and "important" to them.   He was thinking of small chic dining rooms.   But husband and I have laughed many times as we are warmly welcomed at taco mobiles, marisco shops, even tiny holes in the wall in Paris.     Seems our repeated patronage pleases them...and certainly pleases us.

And green tabasco is swell.    I keep Cholula in the car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

• 4 weeks later...

"McDonald’s Added 2 New Burgers To Its Line-Up Including A Double Big Mac That Boasts 4 Patties"

Here’s the breakdown:

Double Big Mac: You get four all-beef patties with Special Sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions, on a sesame seed bun. YES. FOUR PATTIES.

Big Mac: The OG Mac isn’t changing—it’s still two all-beef patties with all the standard Big Mac fixings.

Little Mac: For those times when it feels like just one beef patty will do the trick, the Little Mac is here for you. It has “just the right amount” of Special Sauce and toppings, McDonald’s says in a press release...

The Little Mac and Double Big Mac are available in McDonald’s locations across the country for a limited-time starting on March 11.

McDonald's is ripping off In 'n' Out's 4x4. ¬¬ So much for innovation, McD's! xD

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

why not a little comic relief ?

https://japantoday.com/category/features/new-products/samurai-mac-burgers-arrive-at-mcdonald’s-japan

and Japan , along w the rest of the world has its own problems just now

I am pleased read 

""""    The Wild Faction burger has been named the Roasted Soy Sauce Style Double Thick Beef, and it consists of two thick and juicy 100-percent beef patties, two slices of rich cheddar cheese, and a crisp sliced onion, sandwiched in a bun topped with poppy seeds. ""

that at least the press release claims these burgers are Juicy   

might be a McD first.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I thought of you guys in this topic when it popped up this morning as well as my gardening mentor (in his 80s) who gets an Egg McMuffin almost daily.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/09/the-10-minute-window-for-the-perfect-mcdonalds-mash-up.html  I have not been since a road trip over 20 years ago. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

I thought of you guys in this topic when it popped up this morning as well as my gardening mentor (in his 80s) who gets an Egg McMuffin almost daily.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/09/the-10-minute-window-for-the-perfect-mcdonalds-mash-up.html  I have not been since a road trip over 20 years ago. 

Thanks.  Takes me back to the days when I worked at McD's and we'd play around with various breakfast food/hangover remedy combinations.  We could only get away with this early in the AM before the manager showed up.  I recall 2 hash browns were often used as a bun substitute.  Not sure I should still remember that quarter pounder/egg/cheese/Big Mac sauce version 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

"McDonald's adds new bakery items for the first time in almost a decade"

Beginning October 28, the McCafé bakery lineup is expanding with three new options: an apple fritter, a blueberry muffin and a cinnamon roll. They will be available all day across participating restaurants in the United States.
"We know our customers deserve a break now more than ever, and are excited to give them another reason to visit their favorite breakfast destination by offering delicious flavors they crave, any time of the day," said Linda VanGosen, vice president of brand and menu strategy, in a statement.

Please take one for the team and report back when you get the chance.:B

Tim Oliver

I'd probably try the blueberry muffin.

I was only recently alerted to McDonald's stopping serving breakfast all day:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-mcdonalds-cuts-back-on-menu-ends-all-day-breakfast-2020-3

IMO, they should just extend breakfast from 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 or 11:30 a.m.

I like the coffee drinks (iced coffee, cappuccino) at McD's, but seems like they're the same price(s) as Starbucks or Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. I like the cup they (McD's) serve the hot drinks in as well, but I wonder how long those cups take to biodegrade.

• 1 month later...

The McRib is back. I had my first bite of one, ever. The bite I had didn’t have pickles or onions and it wasn’t bad for fast food. I just don’t like McDonalds’s BBQ sauce. My husband ordered it (and had the rest) and felt the onions were a bit much. I thought they’d be chopped and they were larger slices. 

I can cross that off my bucket list 🥴

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We FORGOT!  We even stopped by McD's drive thru and grabbed a couple of cheeseburgers and fries to share.  We were starving and about to stop at Aldi's and Mr. Kim just pulled into the McD's next door.  We were sitting in the parking lot eating our burgers when I suddenly remembered.  I said, "Sh*t!  We forgot to get McRibs!"  LOLOLOLOL

• Haha 4

On 12/5/2020 at 1:00 AM, MetsFan5 said:

The McRib is back. I had my first bite of one, ever. The bite I had didn’t have pickles or onions and it wasn’t bad for fast food. I just don’t like McDonalds’s BBQ sauce. My husband ordered it (and had the rest) and felt the onions were a bit much. I thought they’d be chopped and they were larger slices. 

Let me just say the McRib is always back : )  I have one childhood memory of a highly manipulated spam like product joined by congealed bands of fat.  Something I wished never to experience again. Is it still like that?  

That wasn't chicken

4 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Let me just say the McRib is always back : )  I have one childhood memory of a highly manipulated spam like product joined by congealed bands of fat.  Something I wished never to experience again. Is it still like that?  

No.  It's just a ground pork patty.  Not the greatest product - no better or worse than a McD's burger.  Not at all mushy like Spam - very firm actually.  No bands of fat - like a burger, the fat is incorporated in the meat.

• Like 2