• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

nice review

thanks.

Ill await some coupons 

and then look into this.

Not sure if you will see coupons since the sandwiches are so new.

Right now McD's is selling them 2 for $3(US) which is why I gave them a try.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thing has its own topic but it also fits here. I have driven thousands of kilometres in the last few weeks. Mcdonalds happened. More than once 🤦‍♀️. On some of the less discerning food pages I watch on social media, the Filet-O-Fish has a cult like following. So the *Sh!t Foodie* in me decided to try. 

Dear God No. Why? Sweet. Messy. Cheesy 'Fish'. Hot tartar. An abomination. (And I love a fish finger sandwich when I'm in the mood to relive Uni). 

This is after my, hubs and kidlets bite. Didn't find the right cult for me on this day. 😂

20190827_115626.thumb.jpg.70ef1a191fdab0848ed60412f36b66b9.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

On 9/1/2019 at 5:38 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

I know this thing has its own topic but it also fits here. I have driven thousands of kilometres in the last few weeks. Mcdonalds happened. More than once 🤦‍♀️. On some of the less discerning food pages I watch on social media, the Filet-O-Fish has a cult like following. So the *Sh!t Foodie* in me decided to try. 

Dear God No. Why? Sweet. Messy. Cheesy 'Fish'. Hot tartar. An abomination. (And I love a fish finger sandwich when I'm in the mood to relive Uni). 

This is after my, hubs and kidlets bite. Didn't find the right cult for me on this day. 😂

John will order 2 filet o' fish without cheese if I haven't given him enough of his edible food.  I do keep some fish products in the freezer so he can make them for himself if I am away.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

McDo filet o fish is my one bow to junk food.    I don't; know why since I don't like the bun, hate processed cheese, for the most part think that cheese doesn''t pair with fish, and dislike industrial tartar sauce.    But put them all together and I kinda like this sandwich, all the time hating myself for it.

I got into the habit of ordering it because I won't eat McDo beef..    I am the customer for "Beyond.,"

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4

eGullet member #80.

I like Maccas too. I'll own my shame. I am aware I am not supposed to. But I do. 🤷‍♀️

However its not somewhere I go to try 'new things'. I like 4 things - and I pick them because thats the exact taste I want at that time. Its a thing that's consistent across continents (usually) and as a formerly fussy to extreme eater it helped! 

One of the, 4 I only eat in the UK. First time I got a sausage muffin in Aus I was sick. There was nothing wrong with it but the sausage they use is beef and it tasted just wrong enough for my brain to think I had been food poisoned. 😂🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, you lucky Canadians...

"Where's The Beef? McDonald's To Test New Beyond Meat Burger In Canada"

McDonald’s (MCD) said Thursday it would begin testing a Beyond Meat (BYND) plant-based burger at 28 of its restaurants in Ontario, Canada, starting Sept. 30 for 12 weeks.

The burger will be marketed as the P.L.T., or plant, lettuce, and tomato, and sell for $6.49 (Canadian dollars). 

“This test allows us to learn more about real-world implications of serving the P.L.T., including customer demand and impact on restaurant operations,” Ann Wahlgren, McDonald’s vice president of global menu strategy,  said in a statement.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I won't be rushing to McD's to try one.

The Beyond Meat "burger"I had at Carl's Jr. was very good.    IMHO, excellent.    I will be interested to see how McDo's compares in quality, deliciousness and at what price point.   

We read that BM costs more than fast food beef, which begs the question of the quality of beef being served at McDo and friends.     

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

6 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The Beyond Meat "burger"I had at Carl's Jr. was very good.    IMHO, excellent.    I will be interested to see how McDo's compares in quality, deliciousness and at what price point.   

We read that BM costs more than fast food beef, which begs the question of the quality of beef being served at McDo and friends.     

That's what I was thinking. If they are using the Beyond Meat burger itself, great. But would they ?

• Like 1

"""  We read that BM costs more than fast food beef ""

BM costs more that mighty fine 85 % fresh ground beef , that's both delicious

and of the quality that Im comfortable to cook rare at home :

$ 11 USD // lb   vs  $ 7.50 // lbs.

RocheBro's meat service counter , almost ground to order  Beef is cut to order.

this is the Achilles heel of processed plant fake beef.  its cost.

this is my personal data , collected over on the Beyond Meat thread.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for the record, I really liked the option of BM at Carl's.   Husband likes a Carl's burger occasionally when we;re on the road.   I don't eat burgers out, and find most fast food chicken sandwiches heavy, greasy or dry.    I've often ordered a veggie burger when available at these places.    I am delighted to have access to a really good one.

eGullet member #80.

and BTW , once the curiosity is satisfied

its back to counting those Beans.

FF is a very low margin business , and very sensitive to both price

and traffic flows in the ' restaurants '

McD is testing this , I think , w an eye to keeping traffic in its establishments

as high as possible.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2019 at 5:38 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

They key to a good FOF is to ask for it without cheese.  Cheese doesn't belong with fish anyway imo and you get one freshly made with cooler tartar sauce.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am remiss in not announcing that the McRib sandwich is currently back at McD's. This year it's 2 for $6.00US.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

B59FF288-0FE8-474B-AF65-1F43312A85D5.thumb.jpeg.151d5393e58371196f1ec97b0207153b.jpeg

Went out for a quick road trip with my Granddaughter. We decided we needed some fast food to wrap it up properly. It’s been years I’m sure since I was into a McDonald’s for anything other than breakfast when traveling. She had a quarter pounder with cheese and I had the brilliantly named and poorly executed Mighty Original Angus burger with large fries. I immediately shared the fries because they were far too many for me.

I took a bite of the burger and should’ve stopped right there but I was hungry. Any beef flavour that might have resided within that bun was totally overwhelmed by the smoky bacon. I am not opposed to smoky bacon but this didn’t taste like real smoked bacon by any means. Anyway I think I’m over my McDonald’s thing for another five years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

I deeply understand

Hunger is , what it is

no Fakey Fakey 

prosed  ' weeds ' at your local ?

just as well.

after all

why not test food on the Canadiens ?

eh ?

with respect and le(s) tongue dans le(s)

cheek

sort of

• Haha 2