• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

• 3 weeks later...

"McDonald’s adds Donut Sticks to breakfast menu"

McDonald’s is making another major play to raise the profile of its breakfast and coffee menus with the introduction of McCafé Donut Sticks. 

The Chicago-based chain said it is doubling down on breakfast with the Feb. 20 unveiling of the sugary, churro-style treats. The nationwide debut of Donut Sticks comes after extensive testing last year to perfect everything from the shape of the donut to the amount of cinnamon sugar needed for each stick.

The result: crispy sticks prepared in “existing kitchen fryers” and served “hot, crispy and golden brown” with no microwaves, the company said.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

7 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

I hope the filets o'fish get fried in different oil from the Donut Sticks.

They would probably use the fryers used for the apple and cherry pies (do they still have them?)

When I worked there - as a kid, so many, many years ago - we had 3 fryers.  A double fryer for french fries, one for fish and one for the pies.

55 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They would probably use the fryers used for the apple and cherry pies (do they still have them?)

When I worked there - as a kid, so many, many years ago - we had 3 fryers.  A double fryer for french fries, one for fish and one for the pies.

I thought the only pies currently available were baked apple pies. Not that I know for sure, because for us, McD's is exclusively road food, what we eat in the car when we haven't been able to pack something to come with us. My husband thinks their burgers are easier to eat with one hand than other fast food.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Mickey D's pies are all baked now. My standard breakfast en route to an early morning meeting I have once a month, an hour and 15 minutes away, is an apple pie, hash browns and a big orange juice (I have my coffee with me in the big ol' road mug). Wouldn't do to have my stomach growling at the meeting with my biggest client.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It's that time of year again:

"McDonald's is ready for St. Patrick's Day with the limited return of Shamrock Shakes"

Shamrock Shake fans are catching a lucky break.

More than a month before St. Patrick's Day, McDonald's popular minty shake is back at participating locations nationwide, the Oak Brook, Ill.-based fast-food chain announced.

The drink is slated to stick around for a week after the traditional Irish holiday through March 24, while supplies last.ted return of Shamrock Shakes"

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried the BigMac w bacon ?

Ive never had ' good ' bacon at a fast food place

the bacon seemed thin and a bit " Off-Taste "   i.e. Oxidized  

( a bit rancid )

:S

• Sad 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, rotuts said:

has anyone tried the BigMac w bacon ?

Ive never had ' good ' bacon at a fast food place

the bacon seemed thin and a bit " Off-Taste "   i.e. Oxidized  

( a bit rancid )

:S

The local McD's here I guessactually does bacon very well.  I like mine crispy but not burnt and the on the one time I ordered it is was really good.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 weeks later...

"Leaked documents reveal that McDonald's is about to slash items from its late-night menu"

McDonald's is slashing its late-night menu.
The fast-food giant is rolling out a new late-night menu on April 30 at midnight, according to leaked internal documents shared with Business Insider. The updated menu will not have any new items, but will significantly cut down on what is available from midnight until 5 a.m.

McDonald's is cutting Signature Crafted Recipes, Artisan Grilled Chicken Sandwiches, Buttermilk Crispy Chicken Sandwiches, Buttermilk Crispy Tenders, Filet-O-Fish, and premium salads from its late-night menu. Bagel sandwiches and Snack Wraps, which are currently served regionally, will also be cut from late-night menus.

This probably won't impact most customers. Funny how they're not adding anything new...just stripping down the menu for late night crew.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

"Leaked documents reveal that McDonald's is about to slash items from its late-night menu"

This probably won't impact most customers. Funny how they're not adding anything new...just stripping down the menu for late night crew.

Been a while since I've made a wee-hours McD's run, but I would be willing to bet the Filet-o-Fish gets put back. Just sounds like the stuff of late-night snacking to me.

For denizens of the Southeast, I was always much more prone to hit Krystal (aka Greasetyl) for my late-night, can't, sleep, had too much to drink runs. Or Waffle House, aka the Awful Waffle. Which is a misnomer, because the waffle is actually decent.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, kayb said:

Been a while since I've made a wee-hours McD's run, but I would be willing to bet the Filet-o-Fish gets put back. Just sounds like the stuff of late-night snacking to me.

For denizens of the Southeast, I was always much more prone to hit Krystal (aka Greasetyl) for my late-night, can't, sleep, had too much to drink runs. Or Waffle House, aka the Awful Waffle. Which is a misnomer, because the waffle is actually decent.

Krystal or Waffle House. 

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 3 weeks later...

"Leaked documents show that McDonald's is adding international hits to its American menu, including a Spanish Grand McExtreme Bacon Burger and a Dutch Stroopwafel McFlurry"

...In early June, the fast-food giant is adding four "Worldwide Favorites" to the menu, according to internal documents shared with Business Insider.

New menu items include the Grand McExtreme Bacon Burger from Spain, the Stroopwafel McFlurry from the Netherlands, the Tomato Mozzarella Chicken Sandwich from Canada, and Cheesy Bacon Fries from Australia.

The article offers a little bit more description of the new items. I am looking forward to the rollout.

Tim Oliver

it seems McD can't make up its mind

it supposedly cut back on a variety of deLux burgers that weren't selling well ,

and making the franchises keep expensive times on hand

now its going to try 

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a23011300/mcdonalds-stroopwafel-mcflurry-grand-mcextreme-bacon-burger-bbq-mcshaker-fries/

https://www.mcdonalds.es/products/86

https://www.instagram.com/p/oQkISyyS-C/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading

doesn't make a lot of sense to me

I think their scaling back their menus wasn't an all-day thing but rather for late night customers. I imagine it would make it easier for the over-night crews if they didn't have to make complicated or "fussy" menu items.

Tim Oliver

"Donut Sticks and bacon sent McDonald's sales through the roof"

Donuts Sticks and bacon were a sweet and savory success for McDonald's last quarter...

...During the quarter, McDonald's added Donut Sticks to its breakfast offering and a new 2 for $5 Mix and Match deal. It also said its "Bacon Event," a one-day event in January that let customers add bacon on the side of any order, was a big success.

The last time I went through a McD's drive-thru I was looking for their "Value" menu...and couldn't find it. Turns out their "2 for $5" Mix-and-Match was their "Value Menu". O.o

I am surprised they did so well, financially speaking. But I guess they know what they're doing these days.

I just don't get it. Wait time in the drive-thru has increased since they debuted their "fresh-not-frozen" hamburger patties for their main burgers (they still use frozen patties for their cheeseburgers and hamburgers). They now have parking spaces for drive-thru customers who are waiting for their fresh patties to be cooked. Uhm...does anyone else see the absurdity of this? Parking spaces for drive-thru customers? :wacko: It's crazy.

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Coupon Time !

possibly time to take a few hits for the Team

McD and BurgerKing sent me coupons , good for this month

yest. I caved and got 2 1/4 lb'ers w cheese.  the McD is close by , and i micro'd the burger to get

them hot enough to melt the cheese.

these were ' fresh meat ' burgers , said to boost sales 30 %

Im not sure what 1/4 lbs'ers were like w Fz meat

these were neither here nor there ,  and not meaty at all.

however , they were not ' sweet ' , as I recall BigM's are

over all  pretty blah blah

the price for one of these in my area is $ 6.30  w tax

seems high to me for the experience over all.

at the usual rate for one.    even 6.39 for two , wont get me to go back.

• Like 2

well, it must have been something I ate .

I had a coupon for BigMac';s

so yesterday I had two.

in contrast to the 1/4 lb'r

the BigMac's were ' tastier'

I thought about it :

they look more interesting

and there was a definite sweetness to them, sort of sweet and sour.

maybe the Special Sauce

and we know how addicting Commercial levels of sugar are.

McD also knows .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm liking the morning Chicken Biscuits...they're a little on the dry side but still liking them. The Chicken McGriddle (with blueberries) is a little too blueberry-ish for me.

McD's is catching some flack for their "recyclable" paper straws...that can't be recycled. Oops! :shock:

"McDonald's new 'eco-friendly' paper straws cannot be recycled"

McDonald’s new paper straws, which the fast-food chain described as “eco-friendly” cannot be recycled.

It said goodbye to its plastic straws in the UK and Ireland last year as part of a green initiative.

McDonald’s now says that its paper straws are not easy to recycle and should therefore be disposed of in general waste.

DOH! 

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

I'm liking the morning Chicken Biscuits...they're a little on the dry side but still liking them. The Chicken McGriddle (with blueberries) is a little too blueberry-ish for me.

McD's is catching some flack for their "recyclable" paper straws...that can't be recycled. Oops! :shock:

"McDonald's new 'eco-friendly' paper straws cannot be recycled"

DOH! 

Is the chicken in the biscuits fried?  'Cause I'd probably like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

It's a boneless breaded "cutlet" but the breading was not crunchy. I had a chicken biscuit this morning from McD's and the chicken piece was larger than the biscuits.

Tim Oliver

On 8/5/2019 at 5:14 PM, Kim Shook said:

Some pics for you of the two breakfast chicken sandwiches.

ChickenMcGriddlePic.thumb.jpg.7edb66ebb604355852a9dc61a168402f.jpgChickenBiscuitPic.thumb.jpg.09518f3610b7fb580bee675b48cab1e7.jpg

I added a little honey mustard to the biscuit because it doesn't have any condiment (they seem to be relying on the mositness of the chicken for their customers to be able to eat it without choking).

Though I think just honey , or better yet, honey butter would be a good addition.

The Mcgriddle "muffins" are less sweet than the regular McGriddle muffins because they're counting on the blueberries to add enough sweet flavor.

And as you can see with both images, the chicken is a little larger than the biscuits/McGriddle muffins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver