• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

This appeared on a wall near my home yesterday.

mcd.thumb.jpg.1b3487dcc2383f27e3572c4a595a2e29.jpg

Allegedly it is breaded chicken leg meat and salad in a football-shaped bun to celebrate the football world cup in Russia.

10元 is $1.60 USD

mcd2.jpg.80997f1a86a0687d0a6fb67bf7e58237.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

26 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I know China is cheap but I thinK 10 RMB is more like 1.6 US$ ...

(which seems ok for a burger)

You are, of course, correct. Brain fart on my part. Have edited.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Whew! I thought when I saw that 16 cents for something that McD's charges about $6 USD for here and thought, okay so it's 38 times more expensive to eat here and they might be using much better chicken over there. So now it's only 4 or 5 times as expensive to eat over here.

I feel better, I think? Still I know y'all have access to better mainstream chickens than we do, not to mention the cheap and well raised ducks. I feel better. I really do, I think? :D

I have been seeing a lot of ads for McDonald's Quarter Pounder here. They're saying they cook it up to order now, so it's hot and fresh. What a concept. *eyerolly* That is what they used to do years ago and what made them the behemoth they are. I haven't tried the new ones. The one and only Quarter Pounder I ever ate was borderline inedible. I don't believe I even finished it. This new strategy sounds like a step firmly in the right direction, though, and I hope it works for them and maybe expands into more of their items. Fresh and hot is good. Cold and stale, not so much.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 months later...

"McDonald's Is Unleashing a Big New French Toast Breakfast Sandwich"

It's called the "McGriddles French Toast sandwich." As you've probably deduced, this new sandwich is a twist on the McGriddle, but instead of using pancakes for a bun, it features French toast. It's an innovation so simple that in retrospect seems obvious. But if it was obvious, why didn't you think of it? 

The brioche French toast will be sandwiching "a grade-A freshly cracked egg, melted American cheese, savory hot sausage, thick cut Applewood smoked bacon and brushed with sweet syrup." These are all good things.

Currently being tested in Minnesota. Are there any Minnesotans on the board who have tried one?

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, rotuts said:

MCD has something new , or 3 somethings :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCKmmRpmMSko pics

no pics that I can find .   more salt , and more sat fat Im sure

There's a picture of the leaked document that prompted this story here at this link

"Triple meat" with 2 sausage patties plus bacon, cheese (apparently 2 slices) and egg on either biscuit, muffin or McGriddle breakfast sandwiches. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 9:25 AM, Kim Shook said:

Yup.  Southern convenience store store food can be a hidden treasure.  Some of the best fried chicken I've had has been in some wide place in the road with 4 visible houses, 9 Baptist churches and one tiny little store with one gas pump.  Oddly enough, the only other place that I've found excellent convenience store food was in England! 

First and best shrimo po'boy I ever had was from a gas station in Louisiana. I understand Japan has a pretty strong convenience store (7-11!) culture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

McDonald’s offers a new breakfast sandwich.  Really?  Looks like just a double up on the old one to me.

Here.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

McDonald’s offers a new breakfast sandwich.  Really?  Looks like just a double up on the old one to me.

Here.  

The biggest difference with this new breakfast sandwich (aside from the extra sausage patty) is you can choose what kind of bun/bread it's served on. You have a choice between the standard English muffin, a biscuit, or a McGriddle bun (which is a sweet tasting bread).

I like the fact that I can have it the way I want it. Choice is a good thing. :smile:

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

But their sausage is SO nasty.

(There is a downside, I guess, to being raised on homemade Southern style breakfast sausage. We killed the hogs, neighbor made the sausage and cured the hams and bacon. I now have horribly high sausage standards.)

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

But their sausage is SO nasty.

(There is a downside, I guess, to being raised on homemade Southern style breakfast sausage. We killed the hogs, neighbor made the sausage and cured the hams and bacon. I now have horribly high sausage standards.)

McDonald's sausage has gotten better in the later years. It used to be horrible, but at least in my local outlet it is more meaty instead of the soy crap they used to serve. If you haven't tried it again in decades, like I hadn't, you might want to give it another shot.

Of course with free range hogs and the authentication of the origin of your available sausage, you might be better off sticking to your current path.

Just sayin' McDonalds seems to have cleaned up its act lately on the sausage offered on its breakfast sandwiches. It sure needed to. I remember when the sausage was abominable too. Of course the price has increased quite dramatically as well. McD's is no longer a cheap place to eat. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I agree with @kayb, the sausage is awful.  I tried it recently because someone else wanted to eat there and, unlike @Thanks for the Crepes experience, I found it just as nasty as ever.  Must be a regional thing.  Luckily, we have both a Hardee's and Bojangle's nearby and they have wonderful sausage and MUCH better biscuits than McD's (and Bojangle's serves theirs all day).  Never a need for me to go to McD's for breakfast again.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This is interesting (to me, at least)...

This morning going through the McDonald's drive-thru I noticed that their new Triple Stack breakfast sandwich was no longer on the menu. As I paid for my breakfast at the window, I asked about it and was told it was no longer being offered.

When it first appeared it there was no mention of it being a "for-a-limited-time-only" item. So it makes me wonder if perhaps the franchisees were getting the poor end of the deal with that sandwich and they pulled it from the menu to save money.

If anyone hears anything about this, please post.

Tim Oliver

19 hours ago, Toliver said:

This is interesting (to me, at least)...

This morning going through the McDonald's drive-thru I noticed that their new Triple Stack breakfast sandwich was no longer on the menu. As I paid for my breakfast at the window, I asked about it and was told it was no longer being offered.

When it first appeared it there was no mention of it being a "for-a-limited-time-only" item. So it makes me wonder if perhaps the franchisees were getting the poor end of the deal with that sandwich and they pulled it from the menu to save money.

If anyone hears anything about this, please post.

An article I read last month in the WSJ said the triple stacks were being offered for a limited time:

McDonald’s recently added new Triple Breakfast Stacks, for a limited time, in an effort to generate excitement on a menu that has seen little change. The breakfast sandwiches with extra meat are offered beyond traditional breakfast hours only upon request.

The company is pushing the idea of a “holistic” breakfast, with ads encouraging customers to pair its breakfast items and McCafe coffee drinks, and it is testing baked goods including coffee cakes and muffin tops. McDonald’s has also started offering more competitive breakfast deals, including breakfast sandwiches for $1....

• Like 1

all McD need to do

is melt the cheese.

for its CEO's

its Franchise Subscribers

and its stock price.

its cheese BTW is no where as good

as the cheese Market Basket puts on its Muffin-Sausage-Egg-Cheese   

thing-ey  every morning

I think its Land)Lakes

dont k9nw

but the its from MB is foil wrapped

they sell out early

and is 10 times better than McD

not just the meted cheese , but much better cheese than McD

makes specifically for their own use.

• Like 1

Not McDonald's-related, but re: American cheese. Having a grandson for whom grilled cheese is one of the two protein sources he will eat (the other is chicken nuggets), I generally buy Kraft sliced American cheese (NOT the "processed cheese food" wrapped in individual slices in plastic). The Kroger deli had Boar's Head American cheese on sale for about the same price last week, so I bought that. Made grilled cheese sandwiches for the kid today. The Boar's Head cheese is much "meltier" than Kraft. Now I want a meat loaf sandwich. Must make meat loaf next week.

Or, if it continues to be 60-ish degrees, maybe I'll just fire up the grill and cook burgers.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb

I don't know what MarketBasket uses for its egg/m/s

its white  and melts really well

IU get them on Sat or Sun am

I have two in the refrigerator for Sun / Mon

Ill ask

Land-O-Lakes ?

Kraft ?

makes the ' dish '

On 1/5/2019 at 11:46 AM, blue_dolphin said:

An article I read last month in the WSJ said the triple stacks were being offered for a limited time:

Thank you for that. I guess McD's is still trying to find that something "new" that will become another Egg McMuffin. 

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

"McDonald’s Bacon Hour lets you “put a bacon on it” for free"

To celebrate all the bacon McD’s is throwing onto its menu, the fast food giant will conduct a Bacon Hour. On Tuesday, January 29, from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. (local time), one can visit one’s local participating McDonald’s and get one order of applewood smoked bacon—that’s two half-pieces of bacon, to be specific—with anything on the menu.

Just an FYI for all you bacon lovers out there...:cool:

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver