• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Also, liuzhou, based on some of your descriptions of Chinese interpretations of Western food, I might wonder if you have ever had actual American cheese that did not have to be labeled "food product"?

Yes, but not in China. Wasn't impressed. Must be all that French blood!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

of course I had the other Steak Biscuit this AM

the biscuit was quite nice.    the grilled onions added a lot of flavor.  couldn't taste the egg nor the cheese

45 sec out of the refrig melted the cheese.   it was hard as a rock cold

suggests to me ultra saturated animal fat.

if you never trim the peripheral fat off you steaks  you might recognize the beefy fatty flavor.

real staying power in this FoodBombe.

BTW  the meat might not have been ground beet but beef very very heavily passed through the " Cube-ing Machine ' 

several times.

Id say , if piping hot , this item has the most flavor of anything at McD's

just make sure its hot and this is the flavor your looking for.

a P.S.:  say what you like about what's ' cheese ' and what's ' not cheese '

back in the day Velveta had nothing imitation in it.  melted nicely  and made a might fine macaroni cheese.

nowday  don't bother to look at the label.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's a limited edition McD's sandwich available in Australia and New Zealand:

"McDonalds' New Chicken Big Mac Might Actually Be Better Than The Original"

The Chicken Big Mac - the poultry version of the beefy original - has become an official menu item at McDonald's locations in Australia and New Zealand, AU.com reports.

The sandwich is exactly the same as the original - America, cheese, pickles, and special sauce included - just with crispy chicken patties swapped in for the burger patties.

Oddly, I wonder how it is to eat. I can see a double burger's success since the patties aren't that  substantive. But two chicken patties? Might be more "there" there, to mis-use the old cliché, and maybe that's why it's getting such good reviews down under.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I see one if not more issues :L

the chicken at McD's is glued together.   Meat glue , just a guess.

that isn't such a big deal as such 

but it makes for an odd chew.

shy not ground chicken ?

a la ground beef ?

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

It's a limited edition McD's sandwich available in Australia and New Zealand:

"McDonalds' New Chicken Big Mac Might Actually Be Better Than The Original"

Oddly, I wonder how it is to eat. I can see a double burger's success since the patties aren't that  substantive. But two chicken patties? Might be more "there" there, to mis-use the old cliché, and maybe that's why it's getting such good reviews down under.

They probably use smaller chicken patties, like the ones on the McChicken sandwich. There's 15 g protein in that sandwich, while the Buttermilk Crispy Chicken sandwich has 28 g protein, so nearly twice as much chicken in that one. One thing McD's is really good at is making things smaller. They used to have total weight in grams for each item. When they first came out with the McDouble, which is a smaller version of the Double Cheeseburger with one less slice of cheese, they still had the weights on the nutrition site, so you could compare items. It's easier to downsize, I guess, without attracting attention to it with the weights removed from the site.

I found the nutrition for the actual Chicken Big Mac on the McDonald's Australia site, and it has 722 calories and 36 g protein, so it is a huge sandwich, bigger than the regular Big Mac which has 520 calories and 26.9g protein. So yeah, apparently there is more "there" there. :)

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 months later...

Dinner today was a couple of McDonald's double cheeseburgers. Hold the ketchup, mustard and onions, please, plus a medium fries and ice water, which is free with a food purchase and critical to hydration and body temp control on a four mile hike.

The restaurant is right in the vicinity of the liquor store (though I didn't need anything there today) and the Harris Teeter grocery store where I picked up strawberries, delicata squash (which will be my first experience with it) seltzer water and a few other things.

I have been using the promotional offers that are printed on the receipts when you make any purchase at McDonald's to fill out an online survey for a buy one sandwich get one free offer. Once you complete the survey, they give you a validation code you fill in and the receipt is good for the discount for thirty days from the date of your visit. You must complete the survey within seven days of your visit, and that reminds me. I need to go get today's receipt from my backpack so I can make that deadline. 

McDonald's quality is very low. But I'll tell you what, getting all the calories and protein I need for the day for $3.25 including tax is pretty awesome. The food, both burgers and fries, was reasonably but not ideally warm today. That was an exception. Burgers are usually out of safe temp for holding. First table I attempted to sit at was pretty clean, but not perfect. Food temp and tables not clean is something I have been complaining about. Today was the first time I saw any results. I did complain a while back about no hooks in the ladies restroom stall to hang a purse or backpack and they have since installed them in both stalls. I keep expecting them to say we don't want to hear any more from you, but they have been honoring the discount for a long time now over many months. If you are going to eat at McDonald's and your outlet offers this discount in return for completing a survey, which may even get some actual results, you might want to look into it. You can get any sandwich of your choice free of equal or lesser value. Even the all day breakfast ones.

I did eat about a cup of strawberries later after I got home, but they were only 46 calories and healthier than anything else I had today at McD's. xD French fries do have potassium, though, which you need if you are asking your muscles to walk four miles.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 4 weeks later...

"You Won't Believe What McDonald's Is Serving Now"

Just this past week, McDonald’s unveiled a McVegan burger in Finland...Customers there have been requesting more plant-based and meat-free options, so the McVegan was developed to evaluate its potential to become a staple on the menu. The burger is 100 % plant based, with a juicy soy patty on a Quarter Pounder bun. The burger includes a vegan McFeast sauce, ketchup, mustard, fresh tomato, lettuce, onion and pickle slices.

Just looking at the picture accompanying the article gives me the heebie-jeebies. That ain't meat. :o

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who like them, the McRib is back (at least at my local McD's).

I saw a TV ad this evening touting their 2 McRibs for $5 special.

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

its that time of year

McD  ( along w burger king ) sent me some coupons for 2 for one

in last thursdays  USMail delivery of Flyers.

quite a few coupons !    from both Institutions !

Nada from Wendy's    I don't recall every getting coupons from W's

so I looked the over and decided to take 2 Hits for the team

at 1/2 Price !

suprise.gif.1a8a3b90dccd9edf831fb4df3ff0be9f.gif

I went for two chicken guacamole ' sandwiches ' on the artisanal bun.

no pics sorry.  brought them home.

still , the Bete Noire for McD is that the cheese was not melted.

but they were hot and I decided not to Micro them.

the chicken was hot and crispy and not greasy.

the Guac was a bit spicy and nice.

this is a much better combo than the big mac

if you get it fresh and it hasn't been sitting around on the warmer

plan accordingly

or ask for fresh not from the warmer.

• Like 4

On 5/7/2017 at 3:13 AM, liuzhou said:

Their items would improve if their "cheese" were cheese.

I really don't know if it's meant to be cheese.  In its perhaps best use, its a stand in for Hollandaise in the Egg McMuffin (Eggs Benny clone).  A sort of quick-melt sauce.  Such a thing works with a Filet-O-Fish as well.  'Cause you're not eating cheese with fish.

A local supermarket makes its own EggMcM w sausage and cheese.

how hard can it be to take a sausage patty , and EM , a cheese slice ( american processed OK ) and an egg ?

theirs is 10 times better than McD's

they use Land)lakes processed cheese  

and you can taste the difference.

so McD's is some different beast.

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

A local supermarket makes its own EggMcM w sausage and cheese.

That's not an Egg McMuffin.

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

how hard can it be to take a sausage patty , and EM , a cheese slice ( american processed OK ) and an egg ?

Not hard at all.

What's hard is developing the infrastructure to do it for millions of people every day, and actually being successful at doing just that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I agree that scale is an issue.

but why is he cheese never melted ?

health code that is has to go on the items cold ?

I think one needs to give the he cheese a chance to melt in the wrapper before tucking in.

There is no better sausage, egg and cheese biscuit than the one procured at a Southern gas station/convenience store before 7 a.m. during deer or duck season.

It's just the way it is.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/4/2017 at 8:48 AM, kayb said:

There is no better sausage, egg and cheese biscuit than the one procured at a Southern gas station/convenience store before 7 a.m. during deer or duck season.

It's just the way it is.

Yup.  Southern convenience store store food can be a hidden treasure.  Some of the best fried chicken I've had has been in some wide place in the road with 4 visible houses, 9 Baptist churches and one tiny little store with one gas pump.  Oddly enough, the only other place that I've found excellent convenience store food was in England! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My husband's trial from the 'holiday menu' in the UK.   

Beef and Cheese Feast I think it was called.  You won't get me trying new things from Maccas,  if we go I want something specific, quick, nostalgic and something only they do,  the way they do (looking at you big m).  We all know what they are and to me it's not the place to branch out!  

20171206_132243.thumb.jpg.723e401d644378878bcb34347fd5cc1b.jpg

He reports that it was not remarkable!  Beef cheese mayo bacon & LTO.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

He reports that it was not remarkable!  Beef cheese mayo bacon & LTO.  

Thank your husband for taking one for the team, so to speak. :)

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 5 months later...

The soccer World Cup is approaching ...

And with it "international" burger variations at McD Hong Kong: Right now the "German" chicken (&) sausage burger. Kind of ciabatta bread, an oblong breakfast sausage patty and a spicy fried chicken patty. Fatty, salty, umami - for a drunken midnight snack ideal. As to why this is spicy eludes me - being German I do like spicy stuff, but German food is usually not. In any case I enjoyed the burger more than I should admit (though will need to re-sample in a more sober state of mind, perhaps) ...

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

• Like 5

So @Duvel,  what did you think? Bun is pretty much as depicted, and I see the sausage, but the chicken is hiding itself.  The wedge fries in the photo do look good.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Yeah, the picture doesn't do it justice. I found the best part was actually the deep fried breaded chicken thigh "patty". They had to freshly fry it as I was amongst the last customers. So it was crunchy and very juicy ... and worked nicely with the sausage patty.

• Like 1