• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

as we all know , MDC is having its problems :

MDC.jpg

they don't listen to me , i.e. Melt the Cheese !

so they sent me coupons in this weeks Bulk USPS circular pack.

Having an Eagle's eye for  ' deals ' there are 7 coupons for breakfast items and only one for a Mac.  plus all sorts of other junk.

new here are the Biscuits and the McGriddles.

has anyone tried these ?  on the dry side ?

I may have to take a few Hits for the Team.

Biscuits can be a little dry at times. But not the McGriddles. The McGriddle "buns" are slightly sweetened and are also either buttered or just come moist. I like the sweet & salty combination in the McGriddle (I usually opt for the Bacon McGriddle).

I think I received the same McD's coupons. What's interesting is that they're even sending them out in the first place. They never used to send out coupons. They must be hurting. Some online articles I've read suggest that, across the board, people are eating out less due to pricing (especially at lunch). Which doesn't bode well for McD's.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 9/13/2016 at 11:29 PM, huiray said:

I've been sampling the "2 McPicks for $5" at a few places in my area, devoting it to just the Filet-o-Fish. Not bad. But, as has been mentioned, the slice of American cheese has shrunk to approximately a quarter-slice. Regrettable. Still, in most places it is "melted in" insofar as *that* goes. :-) Some places give what *seems* like a little bit more cheese, but overall they aren't THAT substantially different from place to place - but some places do do it just slightly better than others. I have a couple places that I will be returning to for more. The pics below do not account for all theF-o-F's I've had. A couple places had me wishing for a 3rd F-o-F after I had eaten the second one. Nowhere served me a F-o-F with a quart of tartar sauce; in fact, I would have asked for more if I had been ordering one of these at some other time - and being charged for the "more" nowadays, of course, whereas in years past there was no extra charge.

A sampling of F-o-F sandwiches from three places:

DSCN1081a_400.jpgDSCN1082b_400.jpg

#2; and #3 with the bottom bun peeled back (& torn) to show the"melted-in cheese".

DSCN1089a_400.jpgDSCN1123b_400.jpg

I had my annual FoF last week. I could only get through half of it.

But there was not the surfeit of tartar sauce I remembered.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I used to get 2 McD's coupon offers / year.

this is the third this year.  it has a heavy emphasis on breakfast items   and " All Day etc "

the WSJ and NYTimes in their financial  analysis suggest that the All Day Breakfast is keeping McD afloat.

more or less

the franchises don't like this as the breakfast items are not very profitable.

personally  some profit might be better than no profit.

now if the Dummies learned to melt the cheese ........................................

I bring all the stuff i  ***  study **** home and micro it for that reason.

since nothing is ' crispy ' there , this is an improvement.

I took 2 hits for the team :  McGriddles :

Griddles 1.jpg

and

Griddles 2.jpg

I nuked each for 20 sec to melt the cheese.after tis pic was taken  these two are right out of the wrapper,  im 5 min from mcd    note  they still don't melt 

the cheese.  it was at about room temp  probably having been heated up by the other

ingredients.   it might have come from the refrig but I can't say.

as noted earlier these are sweet.  on the short ride home I smelled  ' waffles ' thinking imitation vanilla and HFCS

I did look at the ingredients of the sausage item to add information for your consideration.

there are Natural Flavors here , but they don't say which one.  no imitation vanilla nor HFCS

personally I think the bacon at any fast food emporium tastes very greasy to me if not grease that's going Off.n  same flavors here on the Bacon rendition.

I could not taste the sausage on the item with that had it as a patty as the sweetness overwhelms all other flavors.

if you were starving , on a limited budget having no where else to go before you collapsed  , and liked " sweetness " with a waffle aroma

these might be for you.

please ask them to re-nuke your purchase to melt the cheese.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

what  a dummie I am.  two more hits for the tram :

Sausage-Biscuit  

McD SB 1.jpg

and

McD ES 2.jpg

no cheese to melt , but I nuked one for 20 sec. anyway  

DRY.   if they were covered w sausage gravy they would be quite nice.

but they were not .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

McD's in the news...2 articles:

"McDonald's is making a major change to the Big Mac"

The chain is launching a Mac Jr and a Grand Mac nationwide for a limited time in early 2017, the company said Thursday.

The Mac Jr. is a miniature version of the Big Mac with a single 1/6-pound burger patty.

The Grand Mac features 66% more beef than the regular Big Mac, an extra slice of cheese, and a larger bun.

There's a picture in the article of the three sizes. Anyone seen Goldilocks around? xD

I'm not sure if this change would make McD's a "destination restaurant" for me. I tend to prefer the Big Mac. :B

The 2nd article:

"McDonald's just pulled the plug on its biggest menu change in years"

McDonald's has ended its custom-burger menu test called "Create Your Taste" in the US and replaced it with a new version called "Signature Crafted Recipes," the company confirmed to Business Insider. 

What an expensive experiment "Create Your Taste" turned out to be! The kiosks aren't going anywhere...they will remain in the McD's but will just be offering less choices to the customers. This is a good thing?

Tim Oliver

So much Money , So much Idiocy :    Just Melt the Cheese !

a BigMac in my area costs $ 4.87   the B.M. meal  $ 7 47 

that that far away , although not well known you can get a ' Turkey dinner ' more or less home-store-made for 5.99. it very fine.

no one who regularly takes their Medications ever thought the Kiosk Burger was ever going anywhere.

all they have to do is make sure the food they now server is piping hot.

the all day Egg/sausage/ McMuffin will bring in enough people  ( piping hot ! ) to prevent them from going out of business.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant marketing? Or file this under "WTF"?

"McDonald's Is FINALLY Bringing Back The McRib"

The sandwich, which is returning for a limited time, will only be available at specific locations for about $4. But before you start calling every McD's in a 20-mile radius, you can download the brand's McRib Finder from Apple's App Store.

I enjoy the occasional McRib but there's no way in hell I am going to download an app just to find out where it's being sold. ¬¬

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

bet the cheese will still not be melted.

Bring your torch!!! :)

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Table Service ?

mcdonalds table service

idiots.  bet the cheese will still not be melted.

who is going to try this ?

"" The thinking [ sic ] is that customers will be more willing to wait if they are sitting at a table instead of waiting at a counter ""

It's not like it's going to be wait-service...at least that's what I'm perceiving from the various articles I've read about this.

It sounds like it will be more like the table service you get at Carl's Jr./Hardee's. You order and then go sit in the dining area and when your order is ready an employee brings it to your table.

McD's...always on the cutting edge of yesterday. ;)

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

9 minutes ago, Toliver said:

It's not like it's going to be wait-service...at least that's what I'm perceiving from the various articles I've read about this.

It sounds like it will be more like the table service you get at Carl's Jr./Hardee's. You order and then go sit in the dining area and when your order is ready an employee brings it to your table.

That's exactly what the linked article says:

[McD;s) has been testing the service at about 500 of its more than 14,000 domestic stores.

Customers in those stores order at the counter or at kiosks and sit down and wait for an

employee bring out their food, a change that McDonald's says improves customer satisfaction.

... Shel

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

70 % of their Traffic is DriveThrough

maybe its really that simple :  you are going to be less annoyed sitting , rather than standing.

I suspect the table service workflow is more similar to the drive-thru workflow than it is to counter service so it would make sense from an efficiency standpoint.

People waiting at a service counter get really pissed when they perceive they are waiting longer than, say, the customer behind them, who had a different order and was served more quickly.  Getting the waiting customers away from the counter is bound to lessen that pain point. 

I rarely go to McDonald's however yesterday I went in for a coffee during their breakfast rush and noticed they had installed the kiosk/table service. Interesting to observe that with 3 counter servers working each with a 5-6 deep line no one was using the kiosk and the staff member assigned to the kiosk was just standing around.

May take a little time for customers to accept.

• Like 1

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

On 11/19/2016 at 6:39 AM, lindag said:

lately I've been craving fish tacos.  Can you get them at McDonalds?  And are they any good?

Not available at McD's...yet.

There is a small fast food chain called Rubio's (click) that started in San Diego. They were the first to feature fish tacos (we're talking 30 years ago) and fed many a starving college student (back when their fish tacos were far less expensive than they are today). I see by the Locations section of their web site that they're in Colorado and Utah now. Not sure about Montana. 

Tim Oliver

nah, we're the last to get anything.

This state is really huge with a total population of barely one million.

We don't get the new or the high-end stuff until everyone else has it, and maybe not even then.

21 hours ago, Toliver said:

There is a small fast food chain called Rubio's (click) that started in San Diego. They were the first to feature fish tacos (we're talking 30 years ago) and fed many a starving college student (back when their fish tacos were far less expensive than they are today). I see by the Locations section of their web site that they're in Colorado and Utah now. Not sure about Montana. 

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Toliver said:

Or you can get taco shells and Gorton's crunchy fish sticks, a head of cabbage and some apples and some avocadoes at the grocery, and make your own.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com