• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

Just in time for Easter for those lucky Aussies:

"McDonalds in Australia gets tongues wagging with a Creme Egg McFlurry"

McDonalds in Australia will be selling the McFlurry mixed with Cadbury's Creme Egg for a limited time, sending tastebuds into overdrive.

It features an unGodly amount of sugar. A whopping 54 grams... which is about 13 & 1/2 teaspoons of sugar per serving. :o

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You think it might be sweet?   O.o  :D

• Like 2

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

13 hours ago, Aloha Steve said:

You think it might be sweet?   O.o  :D

A little.:B

I'd split it with someone so my sugar intake would still be high but halved. 

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

Yikes !

McD  send me a coupon book in the mail

glad I don't get these too often  ( hee heee )  

as to me the egg McMuffin w sausage is the nuts.

now   leafing through their promotions

the have a Chicken Sausage McMuffin

who as tried it ?  

i only have 2 coupons so do not want to waste them

just saying ....................

Edited by rotuts (log)

I did my best to take (2) hits for the team :  had to use one of the coupons for the Sausage Egg McMuffins

I ordered a Chicken Sausage McM and a regular ( presumed to be Pork-ish ) and brought them home.  granted it was early  ( 5:30 sm )

I got two items identically wrapped :  a bacon egg McM and and unknown sausage McM.   no indication which was which. 

the bacon McM was fairly awful  :  the bacon was canadiene-ish, that's to say a puck shaped salty rubber disk.

the sausage , well was sausage.  Im guessing it was Chicken.  it wasn't too bad.

to be clear, the difference between McD chicken sausage and pork-ish sausage might be that the former is perhaps 'less-porky'

'porky' would be difficult to define.

anyway, I have one more coupon, and might try again  later in the day when the Staff is a bit more awake.

BTW  three major grocery stores in my area make the muffin-egg-sausage/bacon ( real bacon, USA style, not canadiene ersazs stuff )

those are far better than McD's   how hard can it be to do the muffin, egg, etc ?  on store for the same price puts two eggs on the Muffin

after all, this week a doz. eggs are $ 0.69.

File this under "Things that make you go 'Hmmm' "...

McD's has re-launched their McPick 2 promotion...but with one major exception. The most recent incarnation of McPick 2 for $5 (as opposed to the original McPick 2 which was $2 ¬¬ ) featured four choices: The Filet O'Fish, the Quarter Pounder, the Big Mac, and the 10 piece McNuggets.

Now it's down to three items >:(...they dropped the Quarter Pounder from the McPick choices. As if their customers will just forget that they're offering less to the consumer.

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

On the way to visit a neighbor in the hospital I swung by for a frozen strawberry lemonade.  The strawberry was artificially sweet and sour at the same time....but it was good to have the whole whompped up package on such a hot and humid day

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

more on the new chicken sausage McM:

McM1.jpg

this is how they come.   CkMcM on the L  regular SMcM  on the R

McM2.jpg

unwrapped.   My McD is about 10 minutes away, and this is how they arrived home.  note the sausage looks Moister. more fat ?

remember, my view is that the cheese has to be melted to get anywhere near edible.   I micro's these about 20 sec each , one at a time

I decided to take a Big Hit for the team and eat them both at the same 'sitting'

O.o

yep.  O.o

Im not sure I could taste chicken, but maybe a little.  double blind w no information about the Mouthful in question  hard to say If I could identify chicken.

it was mild flavored, a bit dry even with the melted hot cheese.  it did not have any 'breakfast sausage taste'  i.e. sage, a little heat.

the SMcM was much juicer , probably it has more fat.   good amount of breakfast sausage taste.

however, now that the large grocery stores near me make various forms of breakfast Mc's, McD's is far inferior to those.

how can you screw up an EM, a sausage patty , a slice of cheese , and an egg ?  it must take work.

that being said   if im in a situation where I have to get Food on the Road, Ill go to McD for the sausage McM   and ask that the cheese be melted.

only one / 8 hours  would be OK     2 at a time, not so OK.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Starting today, June 20th, McD's restaurants in New England or the Albany, NY, area are bringing back the Lobster Roll.

"McDonald's brings back its lobster roll"

Since McDonald's has actually addressed whether its hamburgers are made of beef and its McNuggets are made of chicken, it's reasonable to ask what actually goes into the lobster roll. The company says the sandwich contains 100% North Atlantic lobster meat, which is tossed with mayonnaise in a stainless steel bowl, layered on leaf and shredded lettuce then served chilled on a home-style toasted roll.

"The lobster we supply to McDonald's is a hand-picked, artisan quality product, caught by seasoned veterans of the industry," said Stephen Felsenthal of Mazzetta Company, LLC, one of McDonald's regional lobster suppliers. "This is the same quality lobster served at white tablecloth restaurants on the East Coast."

Has anyone tried this sandwich?

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Has anyone tried this sandwich?

@HungryChris tried one last year

Edited to add that I realize now that you were asking about the current incarnation, not last year's model.  Also commenting that the Albany NY market seems a curious one for the lobster roll (from someone who was born there and grew up in northern NY with nary a lobster in sight)

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Also commenting that the Albany NY market seems a curious one for the lobster roll (from someone who was born there and grew up in northern NY with nary a lobster in sight)

I thought nearly the same.

Maybe Albany now has some big influx of folks from coastal CT, RI, MA, etc.!? o.O

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I thought nearly the same.

Maybe Albany now has some big influx of folks from coastal CT, RI, MA, etc.!? o.O

Or maybe a ranchise owner(s) with McD stores (and the necessary distribution network) in both MA or CT AND the Albany area.  VT's another landlocked area that's listed in the McD's lobster roll press release. 

I'm planning a trip that will involve flying into either ALB or BTV and will be on the lookout for McD lobster rolls.

• Like 1

McDonalds to Offer All-You-Can-Eat Fries

I don't know if this is something new - I never heard of it, but I don't follow what's going on at McDonalds.  I had a sausage and egg McMuffin about six months ago, and before that I cannot recall when I was last in a McD.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-products/news/a37935/mcdonalds-all-you-can-eat-fries/

... Shel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

McD's is adding a new menu item in some select California McD's restaurants:

"McDonald's to sell garlic fries at more California locations"

The made-to-order fries are tossed with a puree mix of garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, parsley and salt. The new offering sold out within the first two weeks of their initial promotion in San Francisco, causing a shortage in early May.

Tim Oliver

On 2/29/2016 at 7:58 PM, Toliver said:

Just in time for Easter for those lucky Aussies:

"McDonalds in Australia gets tongues wagging with a Creme Egg McFlurry"

It features an unGodly amount of sugar. A whopping 54 grams... which is about 13 & 1/2 teaspoons of sugar per serving. :o

Dear Sweet Baby Jesus. I'd be miserable afterward (my digestive tract gets hinky at high sugar loading), but I'd eat one in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

McDonald's China are promoting this 5 continents menu

mcd800.jpg

According to the publicity:

Africa is represented by smoked chicken wings

Europe by jam and yoghurt ice cream

The Americas by a salmon burger

Asia by some sort of fruit drink

and Oceania by deep fried battered shrimp

Who knew?

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

McDonald's China are promoting this 5 continents menu

mcd800.jpg

According to the publicity:

Africa is represented by smoked chicken wings

Europe by jam and yoghurt ice cream

The Americas by a salmon burger

Asia by some sort of fruit drink

and Oceania by deep fried battered shrimp

Who knew?

Speechless. 9_9

> ^ . . ^ <

Im wondering why McD-C chose salmon, a more expensive fish that an ordinary white fish for the 'burger'

Im assuming its ground rather than filet ?

granted every picture has a thousand lies in it, 

maybe at some point you will be soooooo hungry  that  you try one .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im wondering why McD-C chose salmon, a more expensive fish that an ordinary white fish for the 'burger'

Marketing.

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

maybe at some point you will be soooooo hungry  that  you try one .

When hell freezes over. I have managed to live to a ripe old age without once ever troubling McDonald's doors. I'd rather eat their doors than their "food".

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

36 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Marketing.

When hell freezes over. I have managed to live to a ripe old age without once ever troubling McDonald's doors. I'd rather eat their doors than their "food".

Please tell us how you really feel. :)

• Like 2

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Tough week for MDC  [ N.B.: 'tough' ]

MDC reported 1.25 USD / share on 6.26 Billion.  WallSteet [ xD ] projected 1.28 / S on 6.27

[ed.: looks like Lab Error to me ]  BTW  who on WS makes this drivel up ?

Stock fell 3.7 % to 122.97 the next day and today its 117.81

you may ask why the second drop ?   Ill tell you :

MDC sent me some coupons.  2 for 1.   Got them yesterday : one coupon was for the Artisan Crispy Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich :

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/premium-buttermilk-crispy-chicken-sandwich.html

so I thought Id take a few hits for the Team.  

Exibit A.jpg

Exhibit 2.jpg

the bun was an Artisan Roll.  I can't imagine this roll spelling or ever hearing of a Brioche.  Over baked and dry as a bone.

Very little mayo.  the Crispy Chicken was firmer than rubber, extra chewy but not greasy.

I had to add extra mayo even before I took a bite.  MDC had to work very had to create something so inedible.

$ 5.35  full price my area with Tax.   at 50 % off, with the coupon, analyzing Totalvalue  :  D-

full Price  ?   F--, but they will give you a free coupon from MCD to Get Your Head Examined.

I can't image any of the Board Members , CEO , other BigBelliedWigs ever tasting this and putting it on the menu.

if they did then its an excellent basis for a stock holder class-action suit.

as I said: the coupons came yesterday.   they explain this :

MDC.jpg

note the drop on the 27th the day after the QuarterlyReport. reports are " after hours "   note yesterday's market  ;  very few people must have tried out those

coupns.  Note todays :  "" Coupon Effect "" Ill call this.

check your health insurance , co-pay  etc before you even want to think about trying this.

unless you want that "Get Your Head Examined " coupon.

Edited by rotuts (log)