• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Have the board members been smoking something, or possibly tripping?

BOTH........yuk

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

11 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Have the board members been smoking something, or possibly tripping?

9 hours ago, Aloha Steve said:

BOTH........yuk

Well, depends on who's doing the eating. :-) 

I believe some folks like chocolate-covered pretzels. Or who dip their chicken nuggets into their chocolate-topped Frosty. Folks also point out that salt+chocolate=delicious. It seems, though, that there may not be enough chocolate sauce nor enough salt on the stuff now being offered in japan to please more people than it currently does. :-)

http://kotaku.com/mcdonalds-chocolate-french-fries-dont-taste-disgusting-1755137811 

https://www.yahoo.com/food/we-tried-mcdonalds-chocolate-fries-in-japan-130729752.html 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/we-tried-mcdonalds-new-chocolate-covered-french-fries#.ldO7lGE3b 

ETA: Oh, here's Brit Chris Broad approving of the chocolate fries:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/video/2016/jan/28/mcdonalds-japans-chocolate-covered-fries-it-works-video-review 

:-) 

Edited by huiray (log)

There are a few things I will eat at a McDonald's. 

1. Fries. Any time. Agree with whoever said ask for fresh. A fresh McDonalds fry is a marvelous thing (and will probably clog your arteries in nothing flat).

2. Hash browns. See fries.

3. Baked Apple pie. Good road food breakfast when you want to eat in the car, with a hash brown and coffee.

4. About once a year, a fish sandwich. With lots of napkins to wipe off some of the pint of tartar sauce they always seem to put on them. I suspect they, too, would benefit from nuking to melt the cheese.

5. Coffee. When you're in the hinterlands, on the road, you can generally count on Mickey D's to be an acceptable cup of coffee. Not great, but acceptable.

I loathe their breakfast sandwiches. I'm picky about the quality of my sausage and bacon, and they use about the lowest quality of each that I think exists. Ditto chicken nuggets, although my grandson disagrees.  Burger King has a much superior breakfast sandwich, but the best sausage and biscuit (with or without egg and/or cheese) is in the warmer case at a Southern convenience store/gas station or a supermarket deli in a small town. Trust me on this.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

File this under "Oops!" or "DOH!":

"McDonald’s customers upset over mozzarella sticks that lack a key ingredient"

Throughout the month of January, a handful of McDonald’s customers posted photos of what looks like hollow breaded sticks. What is missing from the center is mozzarella cheese, and customers are not happy about it.

McD's attributes the missing cheese as to having been baked out during cooking. ¬¬ 

The pictures accompanying the article are amusing. I can only imagine a fast food exec crying "Eureka! That's it...we'll deep fry air!". :P

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

McD's has had another big "fail" right out of the gate:

"McDonald's new kale salad is worse for you than a double Big Mac"

McDonald's Canada's "Keep Calm, Caesar On" crispy chicken salad with "real parmesan petals" and "a nutrient-rich lettuce blend with baby kale" has 730 calories, 53 grams of fat, and 1,400 milligrams of salt, once you add the Asiago Caesar dressing. 

"Health-wise, I think it's fat and sodium overload," Toronto dietitian Shauna Lindzon told CBC.

By comparison, the double Big Mac featuring two beef patties and three pieces of bread has 680 calories, 38 grams of fat, 1,340 milligrams of sodium.

A McDonald's spokesperson told CBC that customers can alter the salads to make them healthier. 

Really, McD's?

It's now the customer's responsibility to turn your fail into something healthy, when it should have been created (I'm looking at you, McD's) to be healthy in the first place?

Really?

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

45 minutes ago, Toliver said:

McD's has had another big "fail" right out of the gate:

"McDonald's new kale salad is worse for you than a double Big Mac"

Really, McD's?

It's now the customer's responsibility to turn your fail into something healthy, when it should have been created (I'm looking at you, McD's) to be healthy in the first place?

Really?

"Healthy"

What's "healthy?"

For those who don't have issues with fat and sodium, but do have issues with carbohydrate, the kale salad is a "healthier" choice than the Big Mac.

To each his/her own. 

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

http://www.eater.com/2016/2/4/10919356/top-chef-neal-fraser-sold-out-to-mcdonalds-wtf

This brought a big, wide smile to my face.

IMO the writer of the article shows his high-falutin' horror at the notion that McDonald's ingredients might actually be edible much more than anything duplicitous that Neal Fraser may have done that he was ostensibly decrying.

I would have liked to see the dishes made and their description.

and  why through the meal did some suspect something unusual was going on.

Im assuming the ingredients came uncooked from McD's distributors ?

16 hours ago, huiray said:

http://www.eater.com/2016/2/4/10919356/top-chef-neal-fraser-sold-out-to-mcdonalds-wtf

IMO the writer of the article shows his high-falutin' horror at the notion that McDonald's ingredients might actually be edible much more than anything duplicitous that Neal Fraser may have done that he was ostensibly decrying.

Interesting concept, it would've been nice if the article had talked about what McDonald's products he actually used preparing the meal and what he made out of them.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

5 hours ago, MSRadell said:
21 hours ago, huiray said:

Interesting concept, it would've been nice if the article had talked about what McDonald's products he actually used preparing the meal and what he made out of them.

Here ya go...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mcdonald-702796-food-fraser.html

http://laist.com/2016/02/05/fool_me_once_ronald.php

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

McD's 2 for 2 finito.

maybe Ron didn't cc: me or it went into my Email Trash

its now 2 for 5

:blink:

look at it this way  : 2 BigMacs for 5

Really?

They haven't changed the website yet.

We still have not been tempted to take advantage of the McPick2 offer again.

Edit: Don't those cheese sticks on McD's website look different than all the internet posts with photos about them being hollow with no cheese inside? :laugh: At one point that is what came up first on a Google of McDonalds: an article concerning complaints about hollow cheese sticks, with McD's own website second. Talk about bad PR. :S

Try TJ's Mozz Sticks. Probably the best I ever had, and $3.99 a pound, conveniently in your freezer. I like Hunt's tomato sauce with basil, garlic and oregano out of the 8 oz, can for convenience when I don't have frozen marinara on hand. I put it in small glass prep dishes on top of the oven while preheating and the cheese sticks are baking, along with serving plates. The sauce is hot when the sticks are piping hot from your oven. You can freeze unused portion of sauce for later in a small container. I always save and wash 8 oz. plastic sour cream containers for storing small portions. Very useful in small households.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

A new breakfast item is being tested at some Ohio McDonald's: The Chicken McGriddle.

The (repetitive) article (click)

Has anyone in Ohio tried this new sandwich?

Tim Oliver

there are McGriddle items already ?

I could not copy and paste the line in question :

McG.jpg.f0dba61e167965c2740ad88d48eba1fa

i know  i don't live in Cleveland.

soo  

has any one seen a McGriddle or tasted one ?

here is he web page they sent to me :

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/full_menu/breakfast.html

no biscuits of any kind my way either

:sad:

Edited by rotuts (log)

On 2/19/2016 at 2:14 PM, rotuts said:

has any one seen a McGriddle or tasted one ?

If you are serious in asking this, then yes, I have had McD's McGriddles. They're okay. The "buns" are slightly sweet (supposed to be sort of like a sweetened-with-syrup pancake-type bread). So you get a sweet with the salty meat thing happening. 

Are you saying you don't have McGriddles where you live?

Tim Oliver

A very short article on McD's latest mistake:

"McDonald's doubled the price of a popular promotion, and many customers are devastated"

McDonald's just raised the price of its popular McPick 2 promotion to $5 from $2, and some customers are upset.

They've changed/upgraded the items that qualify for the deal. No more mozzarella sticks.

It's odd, though, that they're essentially selling a 10-piece McNugget for $2.50 when Burger King is currently selling their 10-piece chicken nuggets for $1.49. 

But it's a very good deal for the Big Mac's and Quarter Pounders.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver