• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

Excellent!

You say "apparently," but do you have any stats to support that?  I'd love to know more about this.

It's called "Google", Shel_B. You should try it some time.

Here's one article (you can search for the others):

"Americans’ Shifting Tastes are Rattling the Food Industry"

NPD research has shown that millennials often eat at home, but if they’re grabbing a quick bite out, they prefer Chipotle and Panera Bread over fast-food chains like McDonald’s and Burger King.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Oooops !

McD can't melt the cheese 

but they have have this going for them :

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videos/ct-video-swearing-happy-meal-toy-you-decide-20150710-premiumvideo.html

According to our local TV station's (AP) online article on this:

http://www.wral.com/mcdonald-s-gets-complaints-that-new-toy-uses-curse-words/14764809/

These are the three sounds the Minion Caveman toy makes:

"para la bukay," ''hahaha" and "eh eh."

I've listened to the video on rotuts' link an embarrassing number of times now, and I hear the toy say "eh eh" once, maybe "hahaha" multiple times, which is the only one IMO anyone could construe as WTF. I can certainly see it, but I can also see "hahaha" on an ultra-cheapo speaker.

Am I the only one who hears "I be damn" several times as well? I have no idea how this could come out of "para la bukay".

rotuts, food in restaurants in my state must be held at below 41 or above 135 F. It would be an interesting experiment to see if the plastic cheese used by McD's melts or not at 135 F. I would think that it would, but, I know that almost 100% of the time I order anything with cheese on it, it comes unmelted, and I watch them pull it from a stainless heat cabinet these days. It wasn't always that way, of course. McD's used to be pretty durn good, which is how they got to be such a monolith.

Okay, y'all after recovering from a fit of laughter and a precipitated bathroom break, I will tell you what my husband thought the Minion toy was saying in rotuts' video for what I heard as "I be damn". He claims it sounds like "I have a dick."  :laugh:

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

asa Ive said, when i get a 2 for 1 coupon   I  sometimes (  :huh: ) use them for the

sausage egg McMuffin.  I just bring them home unless im starving and micro them just until the cheese melt.

same w the BigMac.

I heard WTF  but my mind was polluted first by the article Id have to admit.

It's called "Google", Shel_B. You should try it some time.

I'm quite familiar with Google, and, in fact, searched for additional information relative to your assertion.  You come across as an expert of sorts, and I thought you might have some inside or specific information to support your assertion.  I guess you're not the expert I thought you were ... just another Googler putting forth what you discovered by searching.  IOW, nothing special or unique from you.  My mistake ....

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

... I guess you're not the expert I thought you were ... just another Googler putting forth what you discovered by searching.  IOW, nothing special or unique from you.  My mistake ....

You can Google what it means to assume...

It's nice to share my lack of uniqueness and "specialness" with you.  :hmmm:

Getting back to the general discussion/topic...

McD's current campaign for their Sirloin Burgers has me stumped. They say that if a commercial or promotion has you confused over its merit, then the commercial isn't aimed at you. So it makes me wonder who the commercial is aimed at. 

Generally, Carl's Jr/Hardees's campaigns (woman in bikini eating a burger) are aimed at a specific (18-ish+) male market, Jack-in-the-Box seems to go for the 3AM male out from the clubs/partying market and Taco Bell for the male high schooler (or younger) market. 

This Sirloin Burger campaign (featuring Max Greenfield from Fox TV's "new Girl") is just so bland even though he's supposed to represent the "Hipster Market". It's funny but as I get older, "hipster" is taking on a different meaning.  :wink:

Has anyone tried the Sirloin Burgers at McD's and is it really that different than their usual burger?

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

We paid a visit to McD to investigate the lobster roll this past Saturday. It was not $7.99, but $9.99. Keep in mind this one is on the way to many of RI's nicest beaches. Still, it was a winner.

attachicon.gifLobsta!.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post the picture. It looks delicious and I am so sorry that it's not available in my area!

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The McDonald's in my area are promoting the new Buttermilk Crispy Chicken sandwich.

While the piece of chicken in the sandwich is crisp (served in one of their new boutique-ish buns), it was a complete "meh" experience for me. The chicken was blah and I could not discern any kind of seasoning or spices in the crispy coating on the chicken. I couldn't believe they let this out of the test kitchens as is.

Back to the drawing boards, MickeyD's!

Tim Oliver

thanks T !  Football started this week end, and that's the only time I see a hint of a commercial as I FF through them.

saw this and   .....

you saved me !

well ...  if they sent me a coupon  ...

but no thanks.   they might have made this interesting w some Flavor Bite.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an early AM flight tomorrow and am bemoaning the disappearance of the golden arches from several airports.  

I don't go to McDonalds much but I used to look forward to an Egg McMuffin when an early flight dragged me to the airport in the wee hours.  It seems that more and more airports are replacing the fast food outlets with other sorts of eateries.   Now, I like my Vino Volo or a nice spot for dinner when my flight's delayed but those crack-o-dawn Egg McMuffins were so easy to order and so restorative.  When they closed the terminal 7 McD's at LAX, I just allowed a little extra time for the walkway to terminal 6 and the secret tunnel to terminal 5.  Now, that one is gone too.  Worse,  I get off that dreaded no-sleep red-eye in Newark with a brain that thinks it's 2 AM and puzzle over a Bahn Mi menu??  I cannot.   

Whining over.  Maybe I'll leave the house early enough to get my fix in some dodgy neighborhood on the way to the airport…...

• 1 month later...

McDonald's seems to be punting:

"McDonald's unveils 'McPick 2,' to replace Dollar Menu"

McDonald's hopes it has a catchy, new deal that will be as hugely popular as its Dollar Menu. Starting Jan. 4, the fast-food chain will launch the "McPick 2" menu, which will let customers pick two of the following items for $2: a McDouble, a McChicken, small fries and mozzarella sticks.

The offering has gained the necessary votes from franchisees to make it onto the national menu, and will be available in U.S. restaurants for a five-week run starting Jan. 4. After that, McDonald's said it may change the details of the offering, but that it plans to stick with the "McPick" concept and name....
...."As we moved away from the Dollar Menu, we didn't replace it with offers of an equivalent form of value. And customers have voted with their feet," CEO Steve Easterbrook said in July.

To quote Bugs Bunny, "whatta bunch of maroons."  

Getting rid of the Dollar Menu? Really? In the world of sales, it's called "Loss Leaders" for a reason. 

So now they're patterning themselves after Amazon and Amazon's "Add-ons".

For $2 more you can add a really bad chicken sandwich and rubbery fried cheese sticks to your order at McD's. Destination Food it is not.

This is no way to stem the tide of people walking away from MickeyD's.

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 4

Tim Oliver

I think they should send me more coupons.  2 for 1 .

I didn't put on my glasses and missed out on 2 x [ 2 for 1 ] sausage egg McMuffins.

micro one, put the other in the refrig for the next day.  Micro that second one a bit longer

get the cheese melted.

not bad, when 2 for 1.

Warning unwise to try the 2 at the same time.

just saying.

McDonald's seems to be punting:

"McDonald's unveils 'McPick 2,' to replace Dollar Menu"

To quote Bugs Bunny, "whatta bunch of maroons."  

Getting rid of the Dollar Menu? Really? In the world of sales, it's called "Loss Leaders" for a reason. 

So now they're patterning themselves after Amazon and Amazon's "Add-ons".

For $2 more you can add a really bad chicken sandwich and rubbery fried cheese sticks to your order at McD's. Destination Food it is not.

This is no way to stem the tide of people walking away from MickeyD's.

edited for clarity

Well, the Fox News article (I highly distrust Fox News anyway) *did* talk about their doing away with the dollar menu quite some time ago and had been trying various approaches to replacing it, like their other competitors also have been struggling with in their menus. McD's getting rid of the Dollar Menu is not a recent thing.

Here's another recent view on the matter:

http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-value-menu-mcpick-2-2015-11

micro for the sausageMc's is 20 sec or so

for the Mac  about 30

as the bun is already soft, no loss there

piping hot and gooey  ( the lettuce does OK even ) they are a completely different item

glad they are not this hot at the restaurant [sic]

don't try two !

remember, as you are driving home  ( at speed ) those manufactured beguiling aromas are doing their work !

that's why micro is mandatory here.  speed

you've got almost 1/2 of your daily fat requirements ( saturated to boot ! ) w the B.M. and 40 % with one sausage egg McMuff

40 % of your salt need satisfied at the same time

this is a very efficient service McD is providing us   People forget that !

seriously, next time your get those 2 for 1 coupons try the micro.

fair warning give above.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I'm going to take my rep at eG down several notches here, but it is what it is. :)

I heard about the "McPick2" limited time special at McD's from @Toliver upthread/topic. I had some errands to run in the shopping center adjacent to McD tonight, and it sounded like a good deal, so that is what we had for dinner, day before payday and all. My husband and I each got two McDoubles and a small french fry. They were over a thousand calorie meals, but it's not like we eat like that every night, and it's all I ate for the day. I'm still not the least bit hungry.

They honor the deal in multiples of 2 over two per person, so we each had a dinner neither of us could finish for $3.23 each, and I didn't have to cook for a change. I can't say it was a great meal, but it was sure a good value. The raccoons were happy too with our leftovers: burger from me and fries from the husband.

So thanks, Toliver.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <