• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Do You Do With Cheese

Shel_B

This afternoon I made a favorite cheese dish: I zap a bunch of cheese in the microwave - it usually doesn't matter what type as long as it melts to be nice and gooey - and then add plenty of fresh ground black pepper to it and eat it while still warm and soft. That's a real treat for me.

Do you do anything like that? I'm always looking for new ideas and ways to eat cheese.

... Shel

Any sharp cheese, but particularly Amalattea, in thick slabs spread generously with mango chutney. Le yum.

Also, grilled shredded medium to sharp cheeses with sauerkraut and little chunks of chorizo. It's a gas factory, but so so tasty.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

triscuit cracker, slice of tart apple, slice of sharp cheddar, pickled jalapeno pepper.

blue cheese and fruit, esp. apples, pears, or grapes. when desperate, I'll even use blue cheese salad dressing as dip (this was my favorite snack as a kid, before I discovered that blue cheese was a solid food). I've never tried to melt good blue cheese as a dip for fruit, but after reading your post I think I must try it soon.

parmesan cheese, coarsely grated onto a silpat into small mounds. broil briefly to melt into lightly browned, chewy, lacey, cheesey wafers.

What sort of cheese are you using for this process?

I use emmantal, pepper jack, various Swiss cheeses, some cheddars work well, asiago, fontina,

gruyère, havarti, gouda. I usually make small cubes or use shredded cheese - makes the melting easier and the cheese remains softer.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Fried cheese (in a non-stick skillet) combined with apples, either slices of fresh apple or with chunky applesauce.

Just about any cheese that melts smoothly (without turning grainy) will work.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been known to eat a grilled cheese and peanut butter sandwich. A lovely combination of ooze and creamy saltyness. Haven't done it in years though, and I'm unlikely to either! It belongs to a younger metabolism...

A lot of sweetish things go well with cheese. My out-laws enjoy an evening snack of small chunks of cheese with bits of candied ginger, and my husband likes sandwiches or toast with cheese (cheddar type) and golden syrup. Personally, I think rhubarb jam goes well with a bit of cheese on bread. Or strawberry,or apricot, or...

Toasted bagel + cheddar + apple butter = breakfast. I also like it with gooseberry jam instead of the apple butter but I haven't had any gooseberry jam around since the farmer's market wound down for the winter.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I push it to the back of the fridge where it proceeds to grow a uniform layer of green fuzz, then is carefully disposed of and the process repeats every six months.

Scarily, I'm so Facebook-indoctrinated I immediately went for the "Like" button on this post only to remember..am not on FB.

Re cheese, not sure if this is too unusual, but I like to take slices of sharp cheddar or parmesan and douse them in Tabasco, sprinkle on a little MSG (yes, MSG) and eat. This is my new favourite umami-bomb snack.

A lot of sweetish things go well with cheese. My out-laws enjoy an evening snack of small chunks of cheese with bits of candied ginger, and my husband likes sandwiches or toast with cheese (cheddar type) and golden syrup. Personally, I think rhubarb jam goes well with a bit of cheese on bread. Or strawberry,or apricot, or...

Membrillo with Manchego, a classic combination.

... Shel

Place any and all cheese that needs to be consumed on a microwave safe plate.

Wave it until melted. Blow torch the top. add Green Tabasco. Eat right a way. Also good on a fresh tortilla.

Back in the day my mother used to work at a high end cheese shop. She was given the end bits that could not be sold. She sent them to me. I made quiche lorraine-ish. Each one was differnt, but always delicious.