• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melbourne

Yes I did have Flower Drum in mind when I said that the Chinese food in Sydney is better than Melbourne ;) When was the last time you went to Flower Drum? How many Chinese customers did you see? Many Chinese avoid the place because you can eat just as well for less elsewhere. Oh, and you can't exactly drop in on a whim if you felt like some crab congee in the middle of the night :)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Ok, Sydney has better Chinese food. But does Melbourne at least have better Chinese food than Canberra? (Please tell me yes)

One thing I absolutely hates in Canberra is that Cantonese BBQ places (often seemed to be run by Mandarin speaking folks) microwave the BBQ items. My grandfather, who owned a BBQ joint in Hong Kong, must be turning in his grave! Does that happen in Melbourne and Sydney as well?