• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All about paper towels

Fat Guy

. So I bought a stack of little terry towels (cute - in bright citrus colors) and now use a clean one whenever I cook dinner to keep the counter wiped up, etc.

A photo of the cute towels? A source? Thanks.
I bought them at my local grocery - Gelson's, in Newport Beach, CA. I will look at the label next time I am there.

Has anyone else had the problem of their store no longer selling Bounty select-a-size, just one big sheet? I am beside myself...

Has anyone else had the problem of their store no longer selling Bounty select-a-size, just one big sheet? I am beside myself...
Yes. I haven't seen them in a month or so.

Just bought a roll in Long Beach at Stater Bros. about a week ago. I've also seen Brawny with the same feature, although I don't think they call them "select-a-size". Love these things ! Usually I only use the half sheet size, unless I make a mess carrying the doggie water bowl from the sink to the doggie placemat.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

In Japan there are these great paper towels that are used in all professional restaurants called "Leed cooking paper" リードクッキングペーパー. They seem to made from matted fibers, like a very thin felt. I heard that there is a similar product in the U.S. Does anyone know the brand? These are the ultimate paper towels but they quite expensive. You can uses these towels to filter, absorb oil, keep surface moisture (for wrapping raw fish etc.), moisten a towel wrap vegetables and then microwave them to steam them, etc.

I may be repeating myself here, but Viva, by Kleenex brand, are the best paper towels I have ever used. I've been known to rinse out water soluable spills that I've mopped up with them, rinse, dry and reuse. Love 'em! :wink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have tried to use cloth towels more frequently....even bought many of those microfiber towels (though I have no idea what has happened to most of those). Keep returning to my Bounty paper towels! I don't like the select-a-size ones for the reasons mentioned by others.

Donna

In Japan there are these great paper towels that are used in all professional restaurants called "Leed cooking paper" リードクッキングペーパー. They seem to made from matted fibers, like a very thin felt. I heard that there is a similar product in the U.S. Does anyone know the brand? These are the ultimate paper towels but they quite expensive. You can uses these towels to filter, absorb oil, keep surface moisture (for wrapping raw fish etc.), moisten a towel wrap vegetables and then microwave them to steam them, etc.

I may be repeating myself here, but Viva, by Kleenex brand, are the best paper towels I have ever used. I've been known to rinse out water soluable spills that I've mopped up with them, rinse, dry and reuse. Love 'em! :wink:

I don't buy anything else. I have the roll holders in my bathrooms, two in the kitchen, one in the pantry, one on the deck where I barbeque and in the garden shed. I but a case at a time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

. So I bought a stack of little terry towels (cute - in bright citrus colors) and now use a clean one whenever I cook dinner to keep the counter wiped up, etc.

A photo of the cute towels? A source? Thanks.

Darienne, they Ritz cotton bar mops. I don't see the exact ones I bought online, but they are like the ones at this link in lime/lemon/orange without the contrasting borders:

http://www.amazon.co...pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

Bounty select-a- size. I buy them at Costco. In addition to the usual uses, I also use them to line a plate before putting say, a grilled cheese sandwich or toast on it as I find the paper towel keeps it from getting sort of soggy. Sometimes it becomes the plate.

Same. And I use them for many non-kitchen things as well.

By the way, has anyone else notices that the Bounty select-a-size have disappeared from stores, to be replaced by packages proudly proclaiming "one big sheet" ( or something, I don't buy them). I am beside myself.

By the way, has anyone else notices that the Bounty select-a-size have disappeared from stores, to be replaced by packages proudly proclaiming "one big sheet" ( or something, I don't buy them). I am beside myself.

The whole roll? :shock:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I adore my paper towels but i have two teenagers and 4 dogs to deal with so I might be in the minority, I use them for cleaning, napkins, fried food, basically whatever I can. I buy the bulk brand that sams club has monthly But it is as much a staple in my house as toilet paper. I do have kitchen towels, but I never know what the person before me has done with that towel..

• 3 months later...