• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FM Mangal

A quick note.

Some of you with longer memories will remember the Angel Mangal, a legendary old crate which did grilled sheep plus some other stuff which we never got to cos we were too busy stuffing our faces with grilled sheep.

Well after it shut down it was very difficult to find a Mangal with the right deliciousness of juicy grilled sheep crispy grilled sheep and meaty grilled sheep (preferably all served together as part of a mixed grill). Some places were too dry. Some were to miserly. Some were just too far off the beaten track in sodding Stoke Newington to bother with.

Well a year or two back (yes I do take a while to write things up nowadays) I finally found the new Angel Mangal conveniently located a mile up the road from me in Camberwell. Step forward the FM Mangal, on Camberwell Church St. It's directly opposite the Silk Road Xinjiang joint (an excellent backup, who's jiaozi are much tastier and a fraction of the price of currently fashionable Mama Lan's in Brixton).

Believe me, this place is the real deal. Great friendly staff (some of whom, amusingly, used to work at the Angel Mangal) from the hot apple tea when you get there to the complimentary grilled oniony pomegranatey thing to the humous and rustlingly fresh grilled bread. But of course that's distracting from the real deal which is the FM Mangal Special mixed grill. A great great plate of juicy crispy meaty grilled meat. With quail on top. The only thing missing from the AM is they don't do sweatbreads, but apparently this can be arranged.

It's simply the best Mangal I've found in London since Angel. And best of all you don't have to trek up to Stoke sodding Newington*

Go (and yes, Majumdar Sr I'm looking at you)

J

* Although to be fair its a hefty bus ride along the Camberwell New Road to get there from Oval Tube. Do it (36 436 or 185) as its well worth it.

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 4 months later...

Someone finally takes noticed! Reviewed in today's Sindy.

There has to be good reason to traipse across town for a kebab. And this secret sauce might be it..

I really do urge people to check this place out. The grilled meat is scrunchily lovely and if you get bored of it you can always pop across the road to Silk Road for dumplings and, er, more grilled lamb. :-p

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 3 months later...