• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Philadelphia

Tom

I'd be grateful for suggestions for lunch in a place that serves delicious food (our guest is a former restaurant reviewer) in a room quiet enough for conversation. No stairs (or at most one small step); no stool seats. Any cuisine -- although French-influenced is preferred, as are local, organic and sustainable sources. A restaurant opened in the last year would be good.

I had Fare in mind until LaBan's review. a.kitchen is probably too noisy after noon. I've not been to J.G. Domestic, Tashan or 943. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, most of your better French options aren't necessarily open for lunch, lest you consider Le Bec Fin or the hotel restaurants like the Fountain, 10 Arts or Lacroix. If you care to expand your horizons, either Amada, Garces Trading Company or JG Domestic would be good choices. If BYO isn't an issue for you, Matyson does a lovely and affordable lunch with an intriguing menu. Fork has an innovative menu and an excellent chef. No one place hits the bullseye for all of your criteria, but if you aren't stuck on having a French lunch, then you will do fine if you can be more flexible. Unfortunately the most intriguing option, the Farm and the Fisherman, is only open for dinner. Not French, but incredibly fresh farm-to-table cuisine in a lovely and quiet atmosphere. I'm certain your friend would be impressed with that.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

parc bistro on rittenhouse square has been open a few years now but has good food. its a big enough place that there are probably some quiet areas if you request such.

Excellent suggestions! I'll let you know how it goes.

Katie, thanks especially for suggesting JG Domestic, the only one of these places I don't know. And if Terence is in the kitchen at lunch, Fork would be perfectly appropriate.

• 2 months later...