• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pulled pork in slow cooker, uses for the leftover liquid?

Junkbot

So I want to make some pulled pork in my slow cooker, and didn't want to waste the liquid that's leftover before pulling the meat. Anyone have suggestions on what to do with this liquid? I was thinking about using it as a sauce, but was curious as to what 'base' other people used (eg. saw a recipe using Dr Pepper. How would a BBQ sauce based on Dr Pepper taste?).

I dunno. Probably just me. But I'm puzzled by this.

When I make pulled pork, there just isn't much "liquid" left over. For one thing, what liquid I start with thickens and reduces as the meat cooks. When the pork is done, I pull it, and mix it with whatever liquid remains. In fact, I often add a little more vinegar or barbecue sauce or whatever was in the cooking sauce if I think it needs it.

But as many times as I've made pulled pork - and God knows I have - in ovens, crockpots, stovetops, outdoor smokers, BBQ grills, whatever - I have never had enough leftover "liquid" to consider needing anything else to do with it other than to stir it into the meat.

Am I alone?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

it depends how you like your sauce and how much fat has been rendered

the liquid volume left depends on how much you started with and how tight you cover is and how close to the boiling point you take the total

I like Dr. P. I like it better than Coke. I use diet dr. p its the only diet soda I can swallow.

What you are seeing might be a variation of Pulled Pork used in Tex-Mex cooking:

Carnitas. All the Carnitas Ive seen is swimming. You take out a chunk, lightly sherd it then grill it so it has crunchy bits.

You never get rid of the fat. Never.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I do skim off the fat if there's an excess.

(Assuming we're talking about southern-style pulled pork in a crockpot or Dutch oven. As rotuts says, carnitas are a completely different thing altogether.)

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I dunno. Probably just me. But I'm puzzled by this.

When I make pulled pork, there just isn't much "liquid" left over. For one thing, what liquid I start with thickens and reduces as the meat cooks. When the pork is done, I pull it, and mix it with whatever liquid remains. In fact, I often add a little more vinegar or barbecue sauce or whatever was in the cooking sauce if I think it needs it.

But as many times as I've made pulled pork - and God knows I have - in ovens, crockpots, stovetops, outdoor smokers, BBQ grills, whatever - I have never had enough leftover "liquid" to consider needing anything else to do with it other than to stir it into the meat.

Am I alone?

nope

I cannot think of a time when the cooked meat (crock pot experience only) was not swimming in liquid. That's plain pulled pork with no seasoning, seasoned pulled pork (assorted) and puerco pibil (without banana leaves). But then I haven't made the foregoing more than the last two years.

I drain the liquid and then remove the fat when it is solid. Use it mainly for the dogs over the next weeks. Or dump it. The juice goes for sauce or frozen for broths. The extra 'juice' always gets used up in one way or another.

Have never added any liquid to the mix except for small amounts of li, lemon or orange juice.

Could the cuts of pork be a factor?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Wow! good for you. Youve had some pretty happy dogs!

Ive had three. When I made gravy, and i was pretty good at that, i made extra and kept it chilled or frozen. when it was Dog dinner time, there was an elaborate (short) ritual of getting a little bit of that gravy ( Human grade) in the microwave so that it was Aromatic.

the Dog danced with joy. Fantastic Smells, fantastic Taste. Happyness all around!

:wub:

Could the cuts of pork be a factor?

Who knows. It's all so haphazard, at least for me. I usually do use a pork butt/shoulder. If I'm doing it in a crockpot or slow oven, I try to trim most of the visible fat. Cut it into large chunks. Add a pretty generous dusting of some seasonings. Sometimes brown, sometimes not.

Seal 'er up and let 'er simmer.

If it appears to be drying out, I'll add some beer, or hot sauce, or BBQ sauce. Sometimes (but not often), it's runnier than I'd like, so, as others have mentioned, I skim off the fat, pour whatever juices/sauces remain into a skillet and reduce. Then shred the pork and mix up the whole thing. Serve on buns with some vinegary coleslaw alonside.

Maybe I don't let it cook as long as others? I just can't say.

I havent used a Crock for some time.

Does the Crock need its meat completely covered with liquid? a braise as you know is not a soup.

I cant imagine the liquid of that quantity comes from the meat. If it does shop elsewhere.

if its really covered with liquid tasty as that might be

consider becoming a student carnitas.

"fresh" tortillas would help in your studies.

No, it doesn't need to cover the meat in a crockpot, just about halfway up the piece of meat. Turn it after a few hours and add more stock/beer/bbq sauce if needed. I find I don't need to add much if any extra liquid.

I havent used a Crock for some time.

Does the Crock need its meat completely covered with liquid? a braise as you know is not a soup.

I cant imagine the liquid of that quantity comes from the meat. If it does shop elsewhere.

if its really covered with liquid tasty as that might be

consider becoming a student carnitas.

"fresh" tortillas would help in your studies.

Good point about the liquid coming from the meat. DH and I are just talking about it...the amount of water injected into the meat. Thanks for bringing that one up.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.