• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Processing a Deer

Shelby

After I did my food blog last year, many of you asked for a more in-depth look at the way we clean a deer after it's been shot.

My husband and his hunting buddy graciously took pictures of this doe for me so I could show ya'll how we do it here in Kansas.

These pics were taken the first week of December during the two week doe/buck season we have here. There is another season that begins today that is for does only.

There are a lot of photos and since I can only upload so many at a time, this will be continued.

Please feel free to ask any questions --if I don't know the answer, then I'm sure my husband does. :biggrin:

100_2109.jpg

100_2110.jpg

100_2111.jpg

100_2112.jpg

100_2113.jpg

100_2114.jpg

100_2115.jpg

100_2116.jpg

100_2117.jpg

100_2118.jpg

100_2129.jpg

100_2130.jpg

100_2131.jpg

100_2132.jpg

And, there ya go! From here, they put the doe in the back of the truck, bring it home and hang it in the garage. Then, they skin it and cut pieces into more manageable sizes and I bring them inside to do the carving of the different cuts. That part is in my blog in my signature if anyone missed it last year.

Giant antlered vermin.

:laugh:

This one is a "she", though.

Shelby, do you save the deerskin or know anyone who tans it? I would think it would make fantastic mocassins.

We don't save the skin. I think a long time ago my husband tried to tan one himself....I also think one of our dogs ate it lol so that never happened again.

You're right. Someone could make wonderful mocassins--along with other things, I'm sure.

I wonder if I can hunt for a deer here in Central Park, Manhattan, NYC. LOL.

That looks like many yummy meals.

Thanks for sharing.

dcarch

LOL I'll watch the news to see if you attempted a hunt!

Thanks for looking. :smile:

How do you break it down into primal cuts? Do you get the same primals as when breaking down a steer?

Thanks for sharing these photos.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

And no gloves! What a man!

:laugh:

I don't think I've ever seen him clean a deer in gloves. It wasn't especially cold that day, but when it's really cold, cleaning a deer warms your hands up nicely--even though it's messy.

How do you break it down into primal cuts? Do you get the same primals as when breaking down a steer?

Thanks for sharing these photos.

If you click here it takes you to the part of my blog where we begin cutting up a deer.

Yes, it's just like a steer or cow.

Did ya know you can use a chain saw to split the spine? And I do hope you picked that liver up and washed it off. :rolleyes:

And I do hope you picked that liver up and washed it off. :rolleyes:

Me too. :smile:

You know, we didn't this time, but I have in the past. When you get four or five deer a season, the livers get difficult to figure out something to do with....and I don't like to freeze them. I need some ideas for liver usage.

My husband is going deer hunting again this week so maybe I'll have him save a liver for us.

Why don't you want to freeze them? I haven't noticed any deterioration in quality.

:laugh: Yes, with 4 or 5 deer, I can see leaving some in the gutpile. I like it, but I don't want to eat it very often. I bought a side of beef last year, and got about 10 years worth of liver.

sparrowgrass