• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The One Non-negotiable Food Item In Your Kitchen

Porthos

Fish sauce is a good one, but I have to go with ICE. If there's no ice in my kitchen, I'd probably die of thirst..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Add me to the butter list. And Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I'm quickly getting to the point where I'll do without eggs, too, if I'm out of fresh organic free-range from the local farmers' market. I can do without half-and-half for my coffee and sub with milk, but I am not a happy coffee drinker when I have to do it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Add me to the butter list. And Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I'm quickly getting to the point where I'll do without eggs, too, if I'm out of fresh organic free-range from the local farmers' market. I can do without half-and-half for my coffee and sub with milk, but I am not a happy coffee drinker when I have to do it.

Oh YEAH on the Lawry's--I also love their lemon pepper.

I also gotta add that I will do without beans if they aren't Rancho Gordo. I've even gotten my mom and mother-in-law on the band wagon.

I have no wiggle room on bacon.. It has to be real, dry smoked pork belly bacon.. No turkey bacon, chicken bacon , tofu bacon.. bleh.. Even the vac packed stuff walks the line of my tolerance.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I'm also in the butter camp! Beyond that....I always have half and half, eggs, bacon on hand. Prefer Hellman's mayo but have tried Duke's without being disappointed, however I must have one or the other in the fridge at all times. Will not use any other ketchup but Heinz (I grew up near Pittsburgh)!

Donna

If I only get one, it would be butter. If I get to make a list, it would include eggs from my own flock, hamburger only from my farmer friend, tomatoes and sweet corn from my own garden, fresh garlic and (hanging head in shame) Diet Coke. (Or Diet Pepsi--in my world, the term 'Coke' means a soft drink. As in: 'I am going to the QuikMart, want a Coke?' 'Yeah, get me a Mountain Dew.')

sparrowgrass

Freshly ground black pepper.

I've only used pepper out of a grinder for so long I didn't even think about this one. But definitely a non-negotiable. I even have an extra grinder that goes on vacation with us since we rent a house-keeping cabin for our trips and cook our own food then.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

The best quality that I can afford...I have gone back to school so the budget is tight, but never will I compromise and get the stuff that is dirt cheap and tastes like cardboard.....so I get the small size of decent olive oil and balsamic vinegar....I can survive.

Butter was the one thing my mother would never compromise and I guess she taught me well.

I can't pick just one. I won't cook in a kitchen that doesn't have real butter, fresh limes, some form of aji peppers, cumin, and fresh oregano either in it or available to it. EVOO almost makes the list, but not quite, because butter is more versatile.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

no question, for me, it's French Roast coffee. I drink it black, one cup in the morning, and a good cup makes the morning tolerable. Need the jump start.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde