• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The One Non-negotiable Food Item In Your Kitchen

Porthos

Inspired by Fat Guy's thread "Life is too short to do it the right way..." I thought I'd post a slightly different question. What is the one ingredient in your kitchen that there is no wiggle room for?

In my kitchen it is butter only - you'll never find a stick of margarine hanging around here.

What's your one or single most important non-negotiable food item in your kitchen?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Orange pekoe for me - Dilmah these days. And milk to go with it - 1% - somehow the other percentages just don't taste right! Butter as well - while I will use margarine in two recipes (and it's got to be the hard margarine) - only butter for veg, on bread...

Sign me up with the 'butter' people.

I've read through other's lists and in a pinch I can think of an emergency make-do sub for everything else.

But if there's no real butter in the house, I ain't cooking.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've recently shifted from using butter to duck fat, including in baking. Most delicious.

ETA: My one non-negotiable is fish sauce. I really do put it in everything, from salad dressings to curries to ragouts. Everything. OK, except the baking.

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

I'm off dairy so I'm using duck and goose fat, tallow, lard, coconut oil, marrow butter, foie fat and evo but I miss some good butter.

My non-negotiable food is homemade stock. I'd rather use water if I don't have it. But usually I always have some in the freezer.