• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Life is too short to do it the right way...

Fat Guy

In regard to peeling things, I also often discard the stalk from brocolli because I can't be bothered.

Except for me it's the best part!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am usually too obsessive in the opposite direction -- I like to do things the slow way, even when it ends up taking forever. I almost always peel / core / seed tomatoes (which doesn't take that long, by the way), and I rarely use the food processor. I will peel peppers when appropriate as well, though I find it a bit of a hassle.

I've definitely been known to use canned Thai curry paste (I've made my own in a mortar and pestle once or twice, and it was a lot of work, plus the end result wasn't as good as some of the canned pastes). I make my own stocks sometimes (especially for things like paella and risotto), but if I don't have any of my own stock (fresh or frozen), I do occasionally use packaged stock.

I should know better than commenting on a thread on eG about kitchen shortcuts, but I will anyway...

Pre-peeled garlic? It takes at most, 5 seconds. Leaving aside the issue of someone with arthritic hands, typing this post took longer than the amount of time it would have taken for me to peel a couple of cloves of garlic.

I should time myself the next time I do it and make a note of it so I can post in this thread as proof.

Maybe, for 1 clove. How about 40?

And if it tastes the same, which to me it does, what's the point? There are no awards for performing more work for no reason.

There is a video currently circulating on Facebook where someone in one of Saveur's test kitchens "peels" a head of garlc in 10 seconds.

No, that is not a typo.

Place a head of garlic between two metal bowls, shake vigorously for 10 seconds and voila. Instant peeled cloves.

That being said, I do not know when I will ever use an entire head of garlic as I do not foresee myself ever in that situation but it is good to know.

The method I use is a variation of the one I once learned from my mom -- place garlic clove on cutting board, place cleaver on top of clove, whack with the heel of your hand on top of cleaver; instant peeled clove. A little smashed or bruised, but you can't make an omelette without breaking an egg. :wink: Time: I dunno, 1 or 2 seconds maybe?

I don't think El Gordo is advocating to stop doing everything the right way as we each choose our own shortcuts. It's just that pre-peeled garlic cloves is something I will never be able to wrap my head around. Ever.

edit: spelling

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

I should know better than commenting on a thread on eG about kitchen shortcuts, but I will anyway...

Pre-peeled garlic? It takes at most, 5 seconds. Leaving aside the issue of someone with arthritic hands, typing this post took longer than the amount of time it would have taken for me to peel a couple of cloves of garlic.

I should time myself the next time I do it and make a note of it so I can post in this thread as proof.

And if it tastes the same, which to me it does, what's the point? There are no awards for performing more work for no reason.

There is a video currently circulating on Facebook where someone in one of Saveur's test kitchens "peels" a head of garlc in 10 seconds.

No, that is not a typo.

Place a head of garlic between two metal bowls, shake vigorously for 10 seconds and voila. Instant peeled cloves.

That being said, I do not know when I will ever use an entire head of garlic as I do not foresee myself ever in that situation but it is good to know.

The method I use is a variation of the one I once learned from my mom -- place garlic clove on cutting board, place cleaver on top of clove, whack with the heel of your hand on top of cleaver; instant peeled clove. A little smashed or bruised, but you can't make an omelette without breaking an egg. :wink: Time: I dunno, 1 or 2 seconds maybe?

I don't think El Gordo is advocating to stop doing everything the right way as we each choose our own shortcuts. It's just that pre-peeled garlic cloves is something I will never be able to wrap my head around. Ever.

Seen the video, and it's great...but again, if the garlic tastes the same...what's the point?

When i don't have pre-peeled i use the method you mention, except sometimes i don't want semi-crushed clove, i want them whole....

To each their own of course, but you fail to address the main point "does it taste different pre-peeled, in a side by side blind tasting" ?

No, that is not a typo.

Seen the video, and it's great...but again, if the garlic tastes the same...what's the point?

When i don't have pre-peeled i use the method you mention, except sometimes i don't want semi-crushed clove, i want them whole....

To each their own of course, but you fail to address the main point "does it taste different pre-peeled, in a side by side blind tasting" ?

I wasn't aware I needed to...? :unsure:

If you like pre-peeled, then use them. Why should it matter what I think?

Personally, I prefer fresh, and I always will.

I'll admit to having in my freezer bags of pre-pulped frozen fruit for making juice. Sometimes I just can't be arsed to strain the seeds out of fresh Mora or Naranjilla juices, and the pre-pulped stuff is seedless.... :wacko:

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

" if the garlic tastes the same...what's the point?"

I remember in a different thread the taste of fresh garlic vs. bought already peeled garlic, elephant garlic, and freeze dried garlic was discussed.

I came away from it that fresh garlic (however you prepare it) tastes different. Does it not?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I wasn't aware I needed to...? :unsure:

If you like pre-peeled, then use them. Why should it matter what I think?

Personally, I prefer fresh, and I always will.

You're right, you don't. I apologize. To each their own of course. My point was simply "if it tastes the same, why do extra work"..that's all.

Ah, eGullet, the place where people argue about peeling garlic.

Yes! I love it! :laugh:

LOL certainly not as exciting as gutting a deer! :biggrin:

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Ah, eGullet, the place where people argue about peeling garlic.

Yes! I love it! :laugh:

LOL certainly not as exciting as gutting a deer! :biggrin:

Ask two Gulleteers and get three opinions.

Hey, arguing is fun too.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I can peel a clove of garlic in about 2 seconds. Chop off the end, smash, or gently press, depending on the desired result, with the flat of a knife blade. Mincing finely, of course, is a different story, but given that we're talking about peeled (vs. pre-minced garlic).... I just don't see how anyone uses enough garlic at home to need pre-peeled garlic. Even if you need a whole lot at once, the method shown in the Saveur video should be fast enough.

If I'm using garlic for a number of different dishes within a 3 hour period, I will often mince a lot at once and keep it under some oil for convenience.

I use the method described here when browning smaller pieces of meat for a braised dish. Makes life much easier!

I rarely bother with chicken stock - most soups I make I just use water instead. Which made me rather happy to see Michael Ruhlman's onion soup recipe. I just don't see soup as an economical dish if you have to spend hours making a stock using ingredients that will only get discarded. It's different if it's playing a starring role, obviously! But my go-to vegetable soup uses only veg, water and seasonings and you'd never find it wanting in flavour.

And I peel my own garlic for the same reason I don't buy pre-cut melons and pumpkins from the green grocer: I don't trust their cleanliness. Also, I can keep unpeeled garlic out of the fridge, whereas the peeled stuff probably ought to be kept chilled.

I do not remove the seeds from tomatoes.

well at least I hope you peel them...

I'd rather eat tomato seeds than tomato skin. The food processor makes short work of both.

Last week I watched Jamie Oliver make a festive green salad. With a knife he chopped a bunch of apples then threw them in claiming all the best flavour's in the seeds and core. Count me out.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

No, that is not a typo.

My son taught me that one a few weeks ago and it's hilarious fun. I sometimes use my cocktail shaker to peel the garlic - it's like a magic trick! Just throw them in there and shake for a while. Remove the lid and pour out peeled garlic cloves. Oh come on - you can't resist!

After making dinner tonight..."spag and balls"...I acknowledge the following:

- I have no issues with using bottled pasta sauce

- I put the raw meat balls directly in to the simmering sauce rather than cooking them first

- I always make the whole box of pasta

- I use the same spoon to stir the sauce as I do to stir the pasta

Addition...I use powered "spices" to flavor the meat, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.

Edited by Fantastic Mr Fox (log)

The ultimate in this vein is the K-Cup. I love them...but not on the weekend.

I'm not a coffee snob but the K-cups, to me, always taste a little too much like instant coffee.

I'll stick with my Mochamaster, great coffee in under 5 minutes.

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)