• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Livermore restaurants

andiesenji

I spent the week prior to Christmas (and the day after) in Livermore, CA, visiting my daughter and her family.

I was treated to several lunches and dinners at a few places in Livermore and one in San Francisco.

First we went to Rainbow Market which I read about in Cheesemonger - bought a lot of cheese and some other goodies.

We then went to Samovar on Page street, San Francisco where I had the English Tea Service. Excellent quiche, scone was okay. They do serve real clotted cream, not the ersatz stuff.

In Livermore we had dinner at Zephyr Grill. I had an excellent burger and the best fries (shoestring) I have tasted in years.

Next was lunch at El Sacromonte. I had the tortilla soup which was very good. They also have an appetizer that is a large block of grilled cheese that would be a full meal (with the lovely crusty bread) for anyone. I highly recommend it, if you are in the area. With the soup it was too much for us so it was taken home for later attention. :laugh:

Another lunch was at Wente Vineyard We opted for the charcuterie which was excellent. I tried the beef sausage sandwich with pickled cabbage which to me was okay but not exceptional.

One dinner was at Swirl on the Square which is similar to a tapas bar. I had an incredible grilled cheese sandwich and had no room for the other little dishes.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett