• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ole Ole Food Warehouse - a wonderful feast

helenas

Sorry if this topic was previously discussed. It was mentioned in Rosengarten Report

that this wholesaler of spanish food runs an open house every 2nd and 4th Saturday 10 AM to 2 PM with free tasting.

Any experience?

Or maybe even egullet get-together for shared tasting? If there is a sufficient interest,

we might request the owner for egullet only private tasting. Your thoughts?

edit: the site is added for your convenience:

Ole Ole Foods

• 2 months later...

Have been going to this place for over a year now and thought it was worth a mention. This is a Spanish (from Spain) foods wholesaler that opens to the public the 2nd Saturday of every month, and every Saturday in December. (They are open 12/21) They put out samples of everything they sell, a veritable feast. Of course, there is the Serrano ham, sausage, wonderful white anchovies, tuna pate, great cheeses, lots of olives, olive oils, breads and cookies. Everything is washed down with a complimentary glass of Spanish red wine. Of course you can buy everything you taste. They are open from 10-2, take the Parkway to Rte 3 to Rte 21. They are right off Rte 21-- easy off, easy on. Make sure you go there hungry!! :biggrin:

They even have a web site: http://www.oleolefoods.com/

See you there!!

Jason and I made it there around 1 PM. It wasn't as big as I thought it was going to be, but they have some interesting and hard to find items that made the trip worthwhile. The packaged goods seemed to be at decent prices, if they weren't all bargains. We got a one ounce tin of Superior Quality Spanish Saffron for $40 (for comparison, Penzeys sells if for $34 per 1/4 oz). However, the cheeses were a mixed showing. The cabrales and an interesting goat cheese (forgotten name, sorry) were excellent, but the Mahon was way past its prime (ammonia smell). None of them were a steal, price-wise, but the main thing is to inspect and smell your cheese and know what you are shopping for when it comes to the perishables. I also picked up some good olive oil, tinned red peppers, packaged chorizo and a bunch of ideas on how to use them. Jason took some photos, so I'm sure he'll post them soon.

Here's the photos we took:

gallery_2_4_31895.jpg

gallery_2_4_7385.jpg

gallery_2_4_21352.jpg

gallery_2_4_35696.jpg

gallery_2_4_2900.jpg

gallery_2_4_48508.jpg

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Will they be open this Saturday (April 10)? It is the day before Easter

Just got a postcard saying that the sale this month will be on April 17th.

Too bad, I got a tremendous craving for their Serrano Ham!!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Menton, you seem to have gone here many times. I plan on going tomorrow...mainly for cheese, chorizo/sausage, and vinegar. Is there anything in particular you can recommend? I live in Belleville and can't believe I've never been here before. Thanks.

Pete

Menton, you seem to have gone here many times. I plan on going tomorrow...mainly for cheese, chorizo/sausage, and vinegar.  Is there anything in particular you can recommend? I live in Belleville and can't believe I've never been here before. Thanks.

Pete

One of my favorites here is the Tuna Paté, great on crisp bread or crackers. Should be a tasting of this there. Also the Serrano Ham is heavenly. I believe the Perlows have touted the olive oil here.

Please be sure to give us your report later!! (Hope you went there hungry!)

The olive oil is excellent as are the chorizos and their bulk saffron tins, and any of their canned or jarred goods. However, we have been less than happy about their cheeses, which were really ammoniated on the occasions when we brought them home.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I didn't realize they put so much food out for you to sample. I actually did buy 4 cheeses (manchego, idiazabal, garrotxa, and iberico) and they were all very good...none past their prime. Also bought a large chorizo, some smoked hot paprika, sherry vinegar, and a chocolate bar. Very good quality all around. I also couldn't get over how many people were there. Definitely have to get some olive oil and tuna pate next time....

Can anyone tell me when the next public sale is? I'm having a party at the end of June and wanted to pickup some supplies.

Thanks,

Lisa

The first few posts of this thread say every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month, so looks like 5/28.

I think they only do the 4th Saturday in December-- You probably have to wait until June 11.  You can call them at 973-759-0333.

I just called, June 11th from 10:00 - 2:00. Thanks for your help.

Edited by lcdm (log)

• 3 weeks later...