• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ole Ole Food Warehouse - a wonderful feast

helenas

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes! I'm so there. I live just across the river and my girlfriend and I will definitely be hungry for a free lunch. ;-)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I might not be able to make it tomorrow... a horse and parcel of land in Herefordshire to whoever finds out when the next sale is. ;-;

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Bummer. The crowd in front of the 'food table' was pretty thick...I didn't get that close. I bought some Sea Salt, 'hot' chorizo, and Abaco extra virgin olive oil.

My next stop was to the Meadowlands Marketplace to the bakery vendor from Brooklyn where I bought a big $20 chunk of Parmagiano-Regiano cheese. A good day, food wise.

Waaaaaaaaaaaitaminute. There's foodstuff at the Meadowlands? TELL!! TELL!! And if you know, I'd love details about the time/pkg situation...do they charge you to drive in? I've never been, but always assumed it's just a big flea market full of dry goods (clothes, tzotchkes, etc.) in terms of merchandise. Would love to hear otherwise, as it's close by. Thanks!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Curlz,

Yep - they have food stuff at the Meadowlands Flea market. Fresh bakery goods, certain types of meat, seafood, packaged goods, fruit and vegetables, cheese, Dutch county produce, one of the NYC Pickle companies, cheap nuts and seasonings! (that's what I remember off the top of my head). This is in addition to the usual flea market stuff (the cheap socks + cellphone accessories brigade :)

Worth a trip if you haven't been there before. No charge to enter, no charge to park, so you'd only be out on your gas if you don't like it!

Wednesday (9-3) and Saturday (9-5). I went last Saturday just after 9am, and stands were still setting up. I usually try to go around 10am.

http://www.meadowlandsfleamarket.com/

Jason

Thanks, Jason! Had no idea. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I love the Marketplace. I love the food, the garage sale stuff, the 2500 booths with socks and/or t-shirts, and the booth that consists of 50 boxes of STUFF. This is the time of year (Oct-Christmas) where you find the widest variety of vendors. They used to charge a dollar to enter...it's all free now. Get there early..it was nuts on Saturday by 11am.

I actually did get to go to Ole Ole on Saturday... I got some olive oil (I think the same brand as you, Josefina) which I promptly broke on Sunday, thus sacrificing that. :-( I did get some Don Quijote (I think) chorizo which was absolutely delicious. It went into a paella and worked out nicely.

Those going to the Meadowlands flea market, do go. It's a lot of fun. There's a Pennsylvania Dutch pickle seller who does some fantastic jams and preserves. Also, the food vendors have Ren Faire-style turkey legs. Delish.

• 2 months later...

Come hungry but don't come too early. The one time I went to this sale I got there before 11 AM. They were still in the process of cooking the food and the food they did have ready wasn't stuff you wanted to eat before lunch. Having said that, I did get some great Spanish specialty items and do agree that this is a place worth checking out.

I stopped by the Saturday before Christmas or one before that and do not fully grasp the accolades for this place. I went with relatives from Galicia at around 1 pm . There was very little to buy, staff was quite short, and there were a few samples but you couldn't get to the table. The staff was a bit abrupt. The cookies I bought were stale and the water (sparkling) was flat. Perhaps I just hit the place on an off day or made the mistake of going right around Christmas. I'll try it again some time but I feel I might have missed something there.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I stopped by the Saturday before Christmas or one before that and do not fully grasp the accolades for this place.  I went with relatives from Galicia at around 1 pm  .  There was very little to buy, staff was quite short, and there were a few samples but you couldn't get to the table. The staff was a bit abrupt.  The cookies I bought were stale  and the water (sparkling) was flat.  Perhaps I just hit the place on an off day or made the mistake of going right around Christmas.  I'll try it again some time but I feel I might have missed something there.

Beth and I went yesterday and this was our exact experience. I personally don't see the draw of this place. I tasted 2 pieces of cheese and bought nada. We were there for all of 6 minutes. We expected to walk through a warehouse but were corraled into a very small area. We did discover that is right down the street from one of our favorite restaurants; Solar do Minho. Afterwards we went to Hana ah Reum in Ridgfield- What a fun place that is!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Gee, haven't been in a few months, but am quite surprised at the negative comments.

Yes, it's only one corner of the warehouse, and yes, it's early to eat this stuff, but it's been a big, fresh spread of lots and lots of delicious items.

Serrano ham, Spanish sausage, famous borquerones(white anchovies), belly tuna pate, lots of different kinds of olives, bread with olive oil dips, spanish cheeses, cookies and sweets, and it's all washed down with complimentary Rioja. What could be bad?

The products were always fresh and of very high quality. Perhaps it was an off day?