• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Off-Strip and Local Gem Dining, Vegas

HI all,

I am hoping for some advice about off strip dining and/or local gems in Vegas. We will be there Jan 21-29 and would love to try some local favorites instead of the celebrity chef and high end dining for every meal. Thanks for your help

From a former Vegas local, I'd heartily recommend Rosemary's on Sahara. We had a fantastic tasting menu there, 5 or 6 courses for around $100. Great atmosphere & service. Also, over on the east side, we had great experiences at Lindo Michoacan.

The custard shop (can't remember the name!) just off-strip near the stratosphere was out of sight, always a line into the parking lot, and lots of entertaining 'local' scenery passing by.

If you hit 'china town' west of the strip on (I believe) Spring Mountain you'll find an endless variety of all things Asian. Had a stellar Malaysian meal at a little store front there once.

$.02, exchange rates may vary. ;)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Sorry but Rosemary's closed its doors a few months ago. One of our fatalities. The others are okay. A venerable favorite in Thai food is Lotus of Siam on Sahara but I actually prefer the much smaller scale King and I at Maryland Parkway and Tropicana in the Vons strip mall. Nora's for Italian on Flamingo and Jones is an old favorite of locals. We are losing some good ones to the economy. For breakfast the Original Pancake House on Charleston but I drove by the other day and it looked like it was closed. Too bad.

Robert Morris

Slow Food Las Vegas

Keep in mind, Las Vegans named Olive Garden the "Best Italian Restaurant" in the yearly "Best of Las Vegas" poll.

Depending where you're from*, I'd hit the small taco shops (drive three minutes in any direction and you'll see one) or the pan-asian places on Spring Mountain. Those are two things that are consistently done well here. And there's always In-N-Out, Fatburger and Tommy's, for people who don't have good hamburger stands locally.

I'm also of the opinion that Las Vegas does the rodizio steakhouse quite well. I've been to three, and all were quite good.

* If you're from San Diego or San Francisco, you already have better taco-shops or dim sum joints.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all and thank you for the suggestions. We are currently in Vegas and looking forward to a week of experimenting with finding local gems. We went to Settebello on Saturday night (thanks for the suggestion) and enjoyed wonderful pizza! We each ordered a pizza, intending to save the leftovers to enjoy while watching the NFL playoff games in our room on Sunday. ALAS, the pizza was so good, there were no leftovers!

Sunday night found us at a Russian restaurant, Tverskaya, on West Flamingo. We arrived late (about 8:30 pm, which I guess is not really late by Vegas standards!) It was not crowded and we were seated immediately. Since it was late, we ordered light. I had the pickled vegetables (cabbage, mushroom mixture, onions, and pickles) and my husband had the Borscht. The veggies were good, but the Borscht was GREAT!! We then shared the steamed tongue with horseradish, crepes stuffed with mushrooms, and the beef ravioli with sour cream--all appetizers and all were delicious. All portions are generously sized. They do not currently have a liquor license, although they are working on it, so check before you go if it is important to you. They do allow you to BYOB until they get their license. We thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to return on our next trip to Vegas

Considering Indian cuisine for tonight....

TopperMom,

For Indian - I would recommend Gandhi on Paradise (I think). It's one of the few restaurants that 'takes me back' to when we lived in B'lore.

Gaylord Indian at the Rio (is it still there?) was great but VERY expensive. In the $50 per curry realm when we went.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread!!

Want something different to try!!

Paul

Do you like sushi? We tried Sen of Japan about a year ago it was fantastic. It's located in a non-descript strip mall by The Lakes (Westside). It was opened by a former chef of Nobu. The quality is great and it is very creative. We just let the chef pick for us and had a great time. See my review here.

Edited to add links

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

When we were in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, we discovered Casa di Amore way off strip. They'll even pick you up in their limo and take you there and back if you call them and request it. The food was amazing.

And Vic and Anthony's in the Golden Nugget,down on Freemont , has one of the best steaks I've ever had in Vegas.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.