• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
peterm2

Cookbooks Available Only in England

My sister is in London for the next week and luckily has a bit of free space in her bag on the way back. Any recommendations for great cookbooks available only through Amazon.co.uk? I could always pay to ship them here any time of the year, but having them hand-delivered without paying to ship overseas is more fun! Plus there's no VAT on books within England, so you don't even have that savings from shipping overseas.

Last time I was over in the UK, I bought several cookbooks. I wish I had just bought them on Amazon and had them shipped. Those suckers were HEAVY and schlepping them back to the US was a PITA.

Yeah, thankfully she has a wheely check-on bag that is otherwise full of clothes and shouldn't be near the weight limit. You're right that I'm looking at ones not available in the same form via Amazon.com. (Ones where the weight measurements have been obliterated for the U.S. market are fair game).

Hello

Sorry if this is a bit late!!

So basically you want to be looking at good cheffy books from local one or two star chefs. *

The three star bigwigs will have big book deals and you'll be able to get them in the US. The more prosaic "how to bake bread" or "69 ways with fish" books are, to be honest, done better in North America anyhow.

So off the top of my head consider:

Stuff by Andrew Pern from the Star at Harome. His self-published books are plush and excellent - Black Pudding & Foie Gras, and Loose Birds & Game (this title is double-entendre,FYI!).

Books from the endlessly inventive David Everitt-Matthias of the Champignon Sauvage are also work a look - Essence and his Dessert book.

Aiden Byrne who used to cook at the Dorch has a great book called Made In Great Britain which has playful, inventive haute cuisin. Sort of reminds me of Michel Richard.

Formulas for Flavour by John Campbell is by a slightly more toned down molecular type chef. Excuse the horrific title its actually quite good.

I normally tend to avoid compilation cookbooks (too bitty) but if you want a good snapshot of current British haute try Great British Food (published by Dorling Kindersley) - basically the book of our version of iron chef (ok a MUCH more genteel version!)

If you want an all-in-one guide to slightly on-steroids traditional British food you should look at Gary Rhodes New British Classics. It is a great one stop shop for all out best bits.

Hope this isn't too late!

J

* The same sort of logic also works in reverse when I'm browsing bookstores in France or the US

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I would take a look at River Cottage's books. I have a few from the UK and am very happy with them.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I love 'forgotten skills', even though I have done more reading than cooking from it.

This comes too late for you but Niger Slater's Tender Volume 2 is only available in the UK (or at least not published in the US) but it might be my very favorite thing he has written. It is superb and should be chased down by all.

This comes too late for you but Niger Slater's Tender Volume 2 is only available in the UK (or at least not published in the US) but it might be my very favorite thing he has written. It is superb and should be chased down by all.

I have this one, as well, and it's going to be available in the US in April (with a much prettier cover, I might add).

I have purchased most of these books you've been recommended through Book Depository.uk. Free shipping and good prices. Pern's 'Foie Gras and Black Pudding' is great, but so are all the other titles mentioned. I'd add the Hawksmoor book to the list, too,

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I have this one, as well, and it's going to be available in the US in April (with a much prettier cover, I might add).

Interesting. April is a big month for cookbooks then. I also love Hawksmoor. Everything I've made from it is superb (though certainly not light).

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

• By K8CanCook
      Update!! --- the sale is still going on at Amazon as of Sunday (11/24) at 11:15am EST
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone note the sale price on Modernist Cuisine today (maybe yesterday)? Amazon and Target dropped the set of tomes to $379!!!

This price looks like it will change after today...so get it ASAP!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0982761007?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=SRFCHFB5EFTGAA8AZHJX
      -or-
      https://www.target.com/p/modernist-cuisine-by-nathan-myhrvold-chris-young-maxime-bilet-hardcover/-/A-77279948
    • By Bollo
      I need a book on the application of rotavapor machine. I've searched something on web but i can't find something strictly professional for the kitchen please help me. To improve the research. 
    • By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Shelby
      Thanks to @blue_dolphin, I was forced to buy this cookbook  and it was delivered today.  No matter how hard I try, I just don't super enjoy cookbooks on my Kindle.  Anyway, I'll most likely be alone on this thread due to low okra likability lol, but I'm an only child and I'm used to being alone 😁

First on the list will be the Kimchi Okra from page 100--as suggested by @blue_dolphin.

I'll be back on this thread soon