• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polyscience Sous Vide Toolbox (formerly known as SousVide Dash)

ElsieD

I got the SousVideDash app working; it calculated 6 hours 20 minutes at 140 C.

I notice it has a place for "extra time for tenderness". Anyone know where I can find out what that means? (I mean other than "add 2 days for tough cuts"?)

Over 6 hours to pasteurize means you really should consider cutting whatever you're cooking thinner since that doesn't give you much wiggle room for spoilage to happen before pasteurization occurs. What are you cooking and how are you portioning it? One of the big mindset shifts that comes from SV cooking is the switch from "cook then portion" to "portion, then cook". Don't try to do whole roasts or large muscle cuts SV, the thickness works against you.

PS: I am a guy.

Presets: I'm all for less conservative settings. The current ones are the one big gripe I have with the app, i.e. the need manually change temperature settings for every use.

I wholeheartedly agree, way too conservative! I wish the presets could be tweaks. Ideally it should let you setup your own presets/recipes.

• 4 months later...

I'm seconding this query. Any plans for this?

I'm waiting for the android version too. I tried to use the equations from Douglas site, in order to write a similar app for myself, and was impossible for me.

Does any of you use those equations? I don't want to use the tables, is less fun :)

Cheers!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been using the Sous Vide Dash App and still confused about the time recs.

I input 1 inch chicken breast, 141F, pasteurize to core.

On the cooking journal,  at 1 hour 30 min 45 sec it saids "All pathogens reduced at core"

Does that mean the chicken is safe to eat after 1 hour 30 min. 45 seconds?   

When I scroll down, the graph shows it takes about 1 hour and 39 min for the red line (Listeria Core) to pass.  So does this mean I have to wait 1 hour and 39 min.?

Which time is correct?

Edited by torolover (log)

No because according to the App it doesn't reach 141F at core until it hits 1 hour 57 min 21 seconds.

I'm asking why the cooking journal saids 1 hour 30 min 45 seconds for pasteurization but the graph saids 1:39 for pasteurization.

Edited by torolover (log)

That's not the way the graphical representation works.  Although it may look like it sometimes, it's not the case that the colored lines for salmonella and listeria are "reduced at surface" or "reduced at core" when they cross over the grey or black temperature lines.  Those are independent graphs that are simply displaying information in the same space.  The scale on the left shows temperature and quantifies the grey and black lines, and the scale on the right shows log reduction of pathogens and quantifies the colored lines.  Pasteurization is considered to be a log reduction of five.  From what I can tell, Sous Vide Dash uses a log reduction of six as its standard.  All you need to care about is when a colored line reaches the height of six-log reduction on the right hand scale.  Depending on a lot of variables, this may or may not be before, after or at the same time as the colored line intersects the black line.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

A bit of confusion with SV dash is that it uses a different standard for different pathogens: log 5 for e.coli, 6 for listeria, and 6.48 for salmonella.

These correspond to reductions of 100,000 to 1, 1,000,000 to 1, and 3,000,000 to 1.

I assume this is just based on conservative recommendations.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, just dragging this old thread up. Is the app still available? I've been using it for a year or two and was about to recommend it to a friend but can't find it on the App Store.