• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polyscience Sous Vide Toolbox (formerly known as SousVide Dash)

ElsieD

As a newcomer to sous vide cooking, I am still on a steep learning curve. However, this app has really helped me. I don't know if this is feasible but in addition to starting food from frozen, it would be nice to know how long to re-heat food. For example, I have beef braising ribs which have been cooked sous vide in the freezer and I have no clue as to how to go about re-heating them. I had cooked sous vide pork chops back when I first got my immersion circulator and then had to guess at how long to put them back into a water bath from a fridge temp to re-heat. The chops were not as good as when I seared them immediately after removing from the hot water bath. Like I said, this might not be feasible and maybe there already are instructions for this somewhere and I haven't found them yet.

In general, it just needs to be in the bath long enough to come to core (serving) temperature, that is assuming it was first cooked sous vide to the desired degreee of doneness and for whatever pasteurization you wanted, then quick chilled without opening. If you had opened the pouch then resealed, you may want to re-pasteurize as well.

ElsieD, mgaretz is correct. From the app's standpoint, reheating is no different than heating to temperature in the first place. One important thing to note in what he said is that you are heating to serving temperature. This may not necessarily be the temperature you cooked at to achieve your desired doneness and pasteurization. It is simply the temperature at which you wish to eat the food.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Thank you for your help. I will re-heat the ribs to 133 using the time as calculated by the app and then sear them. I think what I am lacking is confidence as this is so new to me. I will also be getting 2 sous vide cookbooks next week and I expect that will help.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice, grabbed my copy a moment ago. How about adding some vegetables? I sous vide potatoes and turnips at least as often as I sous vide meat.

Agreed. I have not made much use of my sous vide setup for veggies, I'd like to learn how, and having some info in the app would be very helpful.

Very nice, grabbed my copy a moment ago. How about adding some vegetables? I sous vide potatoes and turnips at least as often as I sous vide meat.

Great idea. 3.0 was more about functionality, but 3.1 will be a mix of functionality and more foods, veggies included.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Really enjoying 3.0.... when doing cook-chill, is there a way to turn off the audible alarm but not start the chill timer? Sometimes my ice bath isn't ready when the timer goes off (or I'm in the middle of doing somethign else and don't have the time at that moment to do the transfer) but I don't want to hear the timer beeping the whole time.

Really enjoying 3.0.... when doing cook-chill, is there a way to turn off the audible alarm but not start the chill timer? Sometimes my ice bath isn't ready when the timer goes off (or I'm in the middle of doing somethign else and don't have the time at that moment to do the transfer) but I don't want to hear the timer beeping the whole time.

Thanks for the feedback. Great idea on the timer. I'll incorporate a pause button in a future version to allow you to stop the beeping after cooking without starting the ice timer. It will be either 3.1.1 or 3.2 since 3.1 is already done and submitted to Apple for review.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

SVD 3.1 is out now. The main new feature is bookmarks, like this one, which are a way of saving and sharing settings. You can email or tweet them or embed them in web pages. On an iOS device they include a button to launch the app with the bookmarked settings.

For more details, click here.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

SVD 3.1 is out now. The main new feature is bookmarks, like this one, which are a way of saving and sharing settings. You can email or tweet them or embed them in web pages. On an iOS device they include a button to launch the app with the bookmarked settings.

For more details, click here.

SVD keeps getting better. I finally got around to posting my review for it in the app store recently. Keep up the great work.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

what about the possibility of producing a probe thermometer attached to a 30-pin connector to plug into the iPhone/ipad? Pretty sure that, coupled with this app, would rule them all and be in every kitchen.

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Sous Vide Dash just keeps getting better and better, and it is absolutely invaluable.

Just to keep Vengroff's creative juices flowing, however, here is my short list of "wouldn't it be nice ifs":

1. Allow the use of chilled vodka as an ice bath, down to say -30C, which I can reach with my AntiGriddle.

2. Compute times for frozen foods (everyone wants that one, and I understand how difficult it is).

3. Add additional shapes, or clarify what the terms mean. E.g., hamburger should use the "medallion" shape, sausage is a cylinder. But what about a spatchcocked Cornish Game hen?

4. Add additional foods, e.g., beef liver, lobster tails, brisket, chuck steak, with recommended times and temperatures for tenderness, as well as basic temperature/pasteurization. (This may start a food fight of preferences and recommendations, but I think that people pretty well have agreed on 24 hours for chuck, up to 72 hours for brisket and ribs, etc. Or let the users modify them according to their own taste.)

5. Add lots of veggies -- asparagus, broccoli, corn on the cob, rhubarb, turnips, potatoes -- just to keep me from having to look up the recommended times/temperatures.

6. Support some kind of an interface to a label-maker, to prevent "Unidentified Freezer Objects". I'm presently using a PolyScience MV-35XP chamber vacuum, which has a printer that I can customize the "Ingredients" with brief cooking instructions, as well as a pack date and an expiration date, but it's rather a pain to set up -- you have to scroll through the alphabet, letter by letter, as there isn't a keyboard.

I too really find the Sous Vide Dash useful. I would also like to see times for frozen foods. Perhaps once you get used to cooking sous vide you get a handle on how long something needs to be re-heated but for me, at this time, it remains a guessing game. The other night I took a previously sous vide cooked boneless braising rib out of the freezer and tossed it into a 134F water bath for a couple of hours then seared it. It worked out well, but I really had no idea what I was doing and I didn't know, really, if it would be done when I took it out (it was). All in all, though, a great app, especially considering the price. Well done.

Thanks everyone for that he positive feedback. We just released 3.1.1 with a couple of small user requested features, namely elapsed time counter and mute button for silencing the timer while the ice bath is prepared.

There is going to be some much bigger news soon. Stay tuned.

P.S. if you like the app please review it in iTunes.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Thanks everyone for that he positive feedback. We just released 3.1.1 with a couple of small user requested features, namely elapsed time counter and mute button for silencing the timer while the ice bath is prepared.

Any update on an Android version? I just got a tablet and this looks like a good tool to have around.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Any update on an Android version? I just got a tablet and this looks like a good tool to have around.

We are working towards it. But no firm date yet. Say tuned for more news.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

what about the possibility of producing a probe thermometer attached to a 30-pin connector to plug into the iPhone/ipad? Pretty sure that, coupled with this app, would rule them all and be in every kitchen.

Stay tuned...

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Stay tuned...

SWEEEEET!!!!

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I am pleased to report that We have licensed the technology behind SousVide Dash to PolyScience. They have just released an app called PolyScience Sous Vide Toolbox based on this technology.

SousVide Dash will continue to exist alongside the new app, and will continue to be updated and supported.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

hey,

thats great news,

one question: will there be more sous vide devices in one of the next updates? its an overgrowing market and i would love to have the sous vide chef included, i am sure others also would love to have a certain device supported.

thanks in advance and thank you very much for lots of great meals thanks to sous vide dash!!!!