• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coupe glasses

Snowy is dead

I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but I had no luck with 'coupe' in the search, so here goes...

Has anyone found a supplier for good quality coupe glasses for a decent price. I know Libbey is the cheapest, I just can't get past how clunky they appear. Is there a similarly priced product that looks a little more elegant and won't break when you look at them wrong?

thanks

Does this coupe appeal to you?

That looks a whole lot like a Libbey Embassy coupe...

Anyway, this might not be what you're looking for, but there are boatloads of coupes of all shapes and sizes in thrift stores. I think its because they are a popular glass for weddings or other occasions when champagne is served, or they were back in the day and found their way out of an estate and into the thrift shop. You might have to look around but they're there, and sometimes you'll get some really pretty ones with etching. If you don't like the Libbey coupe, your best bet is to hit the thrift stores.

nunc est bibendum...

You might have to look around but they're there, and sometimes you'll get some really pretty ones with etching. If you don't like the Libbey coupe, your best bet is to hit the thrift stores.

I know they are in the thrift shops but Kerry Beal and I have been looking for ages and even in the thrift stores it's hard to find ones that are not:

Too shallow

Too small

Too ornate

We will keep looking and I am sure the perfect coupes will show up but they do seem to be in short supply.

Edited to add missing verb.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've had good luck in the past with finding coupes in Etsy's Vintage section. They aren't typically sold in large quantities, but the variety is decent and the prices are (generally) reasonable. Here are a couple of searches that turn up relevant stuff for me (though there's a lot of overlap):

Nice, but huge.

True, but because of the slope of the sides, much of the liquid in a full glass is held in the upper part of the coupe. That means that a four ounce cocktail still takes up about two thirds to three quarters of the visual volume (if there is such a thing), looks lovely in it, and there's enough room at the top that spills are kept to a minimum. I'm not a fan of a glass with the liquid teetering about the rim, especially at parties.

You might have to look around but they're there, and sometimes you'll get some really pretty ones with etching. If you don't like the Libbey coupe, your best bet is to hit the thrift stores.

I know they are in the thrift shops but Kerry Beal and I have been looking for ages and even in the thrift stores it's hard to find ones that are not:

Too shallow

Too small

Too ornate

We will keep looking and I am sure the perfect coupes will show up but they do seem to be in short supply.

Edited to add missing verb.

That's too bad. There are at least three or four every time I hit the one store down the street from where I live (I'm only counting the ones that are suitable). And I know there are other people looking there too, so there must be more. Maybe they've just been more popular around here.

Then again I like them small, and I do have some that are a bit shallow but they're not too bad. But the vast majority of my drinks are 3oz pre-dilution. If you need them for bigger drinks than that, you might have to go with one of the coupes on the market that are bigger (and tend to have bigger price tags too...). All the coupes I find tend to be the same small size.

nunc est bibendum...

I have a few of the Libbey ones, and, yes, I feel they're a bit clunky. I've also found a few at Anthropologie stores, though they tend to have a design element (etched, etc.). I bought 2 which are nice and were on sale for $7 each, not bad. Here's a different one with poor reviews due to breakage:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=073413&catId=HOME-TABLETOP-GLASSWARE&pushId=HOME-TABLETOP-GLASSWARE&popId=HOME&navCount=315&color=100&isProduct=true&fromCategoryPage=true&isSubcategory=true&subCategoryId=HOME-TABLETOP-GLASSWARE-STEM

They seem to be getting more popular. Here are a few from PB (can't tell how big the one in the first link is):

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-classic-stemware/?pkey=cstemware

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/alessandra-etched-recycled-glass-stemware/?pkey=cstemware

They seem to be getting more popular. Here are a few from PB (can't tell how big the one in the first link is):

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-classic-stemware/?pkey=cstemware

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/alessandra-etched-recycled-glass-stemware/?pkey=cstemware

Probably around 10 oz.

After searching all over I just purchased 8 coupes for a wedding present for a young friend from through Etsy. I was prepared to spend much more, but found these--exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like they are 8 oz.

Both are, in my opinion, too large for properly made cocktails.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I realize that this topic is about where to find coupes.

But I just found these Nick & Nora glasses, which are quite elegant and not huge (6 oz.) and, better still, they are reasonably priced...

Nick & Nora glasses

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I realize that this topic is about where to find coupes.

But I just found these Nick & Nora glasses, which are quite elegant and not huge (6 oz.) and, better still, they are reasonably priced...

Nick & Nora glasses

I have those glasses they are great, but I think they are 4.5 oz.

I'll measure one when I get home tonight.

Same glass found at PDT , Pegu and other cocktail bars.

• 1 year later...

Do all cocktail bars use the same coupe? Is it the Leopold from Cocktail Kingdom?

What is the ideal size? 4.5 oz seems a bit small as I often make 3-4 oz drinks, add in dilution and your contents are uncomfortably close to the rim. I know some bars will often serve drinks to the rim but it always spills a bit and gets your hand messy as you're drinking.