• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Pork Chops

ElsieD

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

remember , this chop 

is not from 

Big Pork.

Don't YOU remember - I don't buy big pork - I enjoy less pork, but better pork! Price per serving, @rotuts

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

well, a I said ?

just incase there was 

a flash  

Seasonally, due t the Heat 

Induced ?

I very much

look forward

what's On the plate

Your Place

and the many things

End Up With 

good for you !

youth this about it

some don't.

17 hours ago, gfweb said:

PCs dry out so easily.

I'd SVx few hours...cool to RT then broil or pan sear

Not good ones!  I do, however, prefer a rib chop as opposed to the center cut ones. I don't even mind a blade chop when available.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I am somewhat baffled by the huge variances I see posted for temp/time with sous vide. I have a Joule and it specifies 140°/1.5hrs for 1.5” pork chops. I’ve done them that way many times with very good results. 

That temp is higher than those discussed above, but the time is way less. Is the temp difference offset by the time?

@Midlife 

I think of time, w SV'd ,  as tenderness .

and temp as doneness .

but they both work together to create tenderness.

to get the same tenderness , for the same sort of meat

it takes longer @ 130 F , than @ 140 F 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Midlife said:

I find pretty good tenderness at 140° but may give 130° a try next time. What’s interesting is that the Joule shows the same 1.5 hours for BOTH temps. 

This is the part 2 of the general sous vide topics.  Ithere is a part 1 but i'm having trouble copying the link.  You may find this of interest.  There are other sous vide topics specific to a cut/type of meat.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151649-what-are-you-cooking-sous-vide-today-part-2/

Edited by ElsieD (log)

I think tenderness is also a function of the quality of the meat.  I tend to experiment.  I was doing pork chops at 135 to 140 f.  Then someone here said they usually use 132f and get juicy results.  So I thought we’ll if it is a bit rare for me then I can always sear it a bit in a pan.  I found 132 F was the right temperature and I kept the time at 90 minutes.  

Keep a sous vide journal and document where you bought the meat, the cut, the thickness, the temperature, the time and how it came out.  Very useful.

• Like 2

As long as we believe that cooking sous vide is so scientifically sound that we can choose a time and temperature for a particular thickness of a particular protein and the results will be identical each and every time, we are bound to be disappointed. Supermarket pork and  heritage pork will give different results. Choice beef and prime beef will not react the same to the same time and temperature. 
As with all cooking methods experience matters. 
Restaurants have a much better shot at consistency simply because their supply is much more consistent than what most consumers are able to source. 
That is my take anyway. 
@Okanagancookand I seem to have cross posted!

Edited by Anna N
To acknowledge a cross posting (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

This is the part 2 of the general sous vide topics.  Ithere is a part 1 but i'm having trouble copying the link.  You may find this of interest.  There are other sous vide topics specific to a cut/type of meat.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151649-what-are-you-cooking-sous-vide-today-part-2/

Thank you. There’s a link to part 1 at the top of that part 2 page but clicking on it only took me to the EG main page. I’m sure part2 will be very helpful.

I’ve been using the Joule maybe 3 times every 2 weeks for a couple of years and am happy with everything except the poor fat rendering with ribeyes. I’ve gone back to grilling them. 

• Like 2

SV'd cooking is improved 

keeping track

in a Red engineering lined book.

you can easily look back 

and make changes on you next cook.

SV is very forgiving re : exact times in the bath

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

SV'd cooking is improved 

keeping track

in a Red engineering lined book.

you can easily look back 

and make changes on you next cook.

SV is very forgiving re : exact times in the bath

47 minutes ago, TdeV said:

He convinced me it was the proper thing to do as well...except I never have!  I don't deal well with authority!!

• Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

He convinced me it was the proper thing to do as well...except I never have!  I don't deal well with authority!!

So raise your fist in rebellion and get a black one.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

a big P.S.:

the Original SV

red notebook

long thought lost ,

possibly recycled 

did return , at the bottom of a pile 

etc.

I didn't date it 

but an early S&S receipt 

is early 2012.

it was easier to add that rather than write  about it.

it was ref's for

sirloin tips , on sale 

but cut and trimmed as flap meat.

remember it well.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I like to Jaccard SV pork chops. This also facilitates rapid uptake of marinade or brine if you're using a chamber vacuum machine (which will shoot liquid into the pores created by the needling process). But I usually just salt them liberally well before cooking instead of using a wet brine. In any event, Jaccarding definitely makes a positive textural difference... more tender, more juicy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pork seems to be one meat that doesn't necessarily have to be rare to be tender. I find it seems to get a bit tough if its overcooked.

Now normally with pork chops I will brine them (6%) for 6~24 hrs then smoke them (hot smoke 80~100C for 1 hr then add BBQ sauce (in foil) and continue for 1~1.5hrs then hot sear them

But I have done them SV instead of smoke (65C for 1.5hrs) then hot sear them. You do tend to lose some juices in the SV (hence the brining)

The 65C starts to do things to the connective tissue and turns them into jelly, and the hot sear renders any remaining fat. I think the lowish heat in the smoking does the same thing.

If you want a truly tender pork rolled roast, SV 65C for 24hrs, then the oven at 200 for 20 minutes or so to improve the look and outer skin. BUT you cant get crackling unless you remove it before starting and cook separately.

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

I cook pork sous vide to pasteurize and preserve it.  When I can get quality pork I much prefer to grill my chops, turning every minute.  Your mileage may vary.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think everyone's mileage may vary.  

Especially dependent on the product one is starting with. I've never worried about percentages when cooking pork, and...I've never had any complaints!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog