• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Texas: Last Chance Kitchen

Lisa Shock

Just thought I'd start this thread for discussion of Last Chance Kitchen, so that spoilers don't appear in the main TC9 thread. Bravo has viewing blocked outside of the US.

Anyway, I like seeing the eliminated contestants on the sidelines. They are helping a lot and giving more insight into what the dishes taste like.

I also like the fact that the competitors have no idea that this event is occurring, so they get a surprise as they 'leave' the regular show. Too bad that this is the only season where this will be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

They shouldn't let it go all the way to the end. The last chance winner needs to compete against the survivors before the very end. Otherwise its really unfair to the survivors who faced stiffer competition to get there.

They shouldn't let it go all the way to the end. The last chance winner needs to compete against the survivors before the very end. Otherwise its really unfair to the survivors who faced stiffer competition to get there.

I agree.

Nyesha keeps the jacket! I'd love to see her take this.

BTW, Nyesha's choice of coconut & lime was a huge gamble. Yes, they taste good together, but, a significant percentage of the population doesn't like coconut. And, for those who don't like it, myself included, the aversion is really strong. This aversion is well known enough to cause most pastry chefs in real professional competitions to avoid using much coconut, if any at all. Lime also has it's detractors, but, that group is relatively small.

So, from the perspective of a pastry chef, this is a solidly huge win for Nyesha. She managed to use a flavor profile that many of us would avoid, did not play it safe, and had the best tasting dessert.

Although watching the latest top chef episode regarding the Almond Joy dessert, she may have known already that Chef Colicchio likes Coconut as he was looking for it in that dessert. I feel it may not be as big of a gamble if she knew he liked coconut.

Underdog special (Really...? Not one eliminated chef could throw Bev a bone?).

Well, Ritchie hollered "Do your fish!" at Bev as the time ticked away. So at least one of them was being helpful and kind.

And I liked that the final result was because of underseasoning the fish. Nothing to do with Bev's "unexciting" ingredients. Sounded, to me anyway, like it came down to grabbing salt and pepper shakers.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Underdog special (Really...? Not one eliminated chef could throw Bev a bone?).

I like that Bev came through, but Nyesha would've been the more dramatic comeback after fighting through more challengers.

I really like Nyesha and was pulling for her to win it all.

But I think that as far as a "dramatic comeback" is concerned, there will be plenty of drama when Bev, whom they all think they got rid of, shows back up...

Like a bad penny...

Like the sugar ants under your sink...

Like that old yeller cat that came right back the very next day. We thought he was a goner but the cat came back, the cat came back, 'cause he wouldn't stay away...

Yep. Should make for drama aplenty.

:biggrin:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Interesting showdown this week. One more episode before the big reveal.

I had hoped for so much more from Chris, and somehow he never quite delivered. I had really wanted Nyesha to keep her streak going, but, it would also be very amusing to see Beverly walk back into the kitchen. I think that she was unfairly ragged on for most of the regular show, she definitely can cook.

Cox On Demand has it as well. Those of you who need a regional workaround online can use an IP masking service like silentsurf.co.uk and just type the TC:LCK url into the toolbar, http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-9/last-chance-kitchen unclick the disable javascript box, and you're good to go.

Interesting showdown this week. One more episode before the big reveal.

I had hoped for so much more from Chris, and somehow he never quite delivered. I had really wanted Nyesha to keep her streak going, but, it would also be very amusing to see Beverly walk back into the kitchen. I think that she was unfairly ragged on for most of the regular show, she definitely can cook.

One thing I've found particularly interesting is that each of the last two chefs that Bev has defeated began the segment by dissing her. Don't remember the exact words, but Nyesha said something like, "When I saw Bev, I thought, 'I've got this.'" And Chris said, "I wasn't particularly intimidated..."

The first thing I thought, each time, was that Bev was going to win. I don't think the producers/editors would be so unkind as to begin the segment with a dismissive putdown, and then have Bev go on to lose.

For such a quiet and unassuming person, she's obviously a pretty great cook. And she's taken the abuse with considerable grace.

I can't help but root for her.

Well, that really sucks. If I had known, probably wouldn't have bothered watching.

Cliffhanger!

I will say that that Bev and Grayson got the challenge that terrifies me the most, and they both did well at it. I fear that I would be a deer in headlights with so much leeway. Now, tell me that I have to use grapefruit and jasmine rice and cauliflower, and I am so there. But, the 'do anything' challenge just stops me cold with too many possibilities. So, kudos to them both for getting something decent on the plate!

My guess from appearance is that Grayson won. But who know?

Well, I know they could use a new format for last chance kitchen. It has 2 major issues:

1- Very likely to make itself meaningless by just putting the last couple people right back in the competition. Sure, if it does not it's epic (good try Nyesha!) but the odds are very bad (everyone has a bad day, and while in the core competition it could just cost you the win, in a 2-person match you are out.

2- Wasted talent! Look at all those great cooks sitting around on their hands! It's a great oppurtunity to play with novel game systems. Do a point based system. Make winning just give you an advantage next time, instead of eliminating someone. Make Tom cook more things! See if your audience is really so in love with "I'm sorry, you are a looser and can no longer play" or if they might be there to see some kind of cookoff where more entries make the show BETTER?