• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Presents for the Kitchen: 2011

Kerry Beal

I received gift cards, which will be spent sometime in the future when I decide what I simply "can't live without!"

A surprise gift arrived in the mail a few days prior to Christmas - a pomegranate seeder-gadget, from a couple of eG members who are also "gadgeteers."

It's really nifty!

Otherwise no kitchen stuff this year - like others, I have no room until I shift some things or sell or donate some.

My favorite Christmas present was a visit with my daughter and her family in Livermore, CA. I was treated to dinners and lunches in several restaurants. I'll have to get her to send me the names so I can post about them.

The food was just about perfect in each place, all different.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

DW got me "Fois Gras Wars" by Mark Caro. It looks interesting, but I've got a half-dozen books ahead of it in the lineup this month, so it'll be a bit till I get to it.

My 'big' present was a Saeco super-auto espresso machine I bought for myself a couple of months ago - so no surprise there!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I gifted a friend with a programmable slow cooker and Healthy Slow Cooker cookbook. Does that count? I haven't gotten all my presents yet, so I might still have something to report back...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I got a black chef's jacket with my name embroidered on it. I'm an "Executive Chef" apparently :) Also a matching black and white apron and a Shun Utility knife with my intials engraved on it.

I love my husband.

Oooh, that's cool. I suspect he's worthy of the love.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I got some great stuff this year...Togharu Inox Steel knives including an 11.5 in Slicer (Sujihiki), 8.2 inch Chefs knife (Gyotu), 5.9 inch petty knife, 5.6 inch Boning knife (Honesuki) and a hammered damascus paring knife. Also got a 9 inch All-Clad French Skillet. It was a good year!

I got: a set of three silicon brushes for the pastry drawer, a 24" silicone-bearing turntable for cake decoration, eight Spanish-style blown glass red wine tumblers with stubby stems (very neat), and a bottle of Amarula liqueur. Oh, and an extra fridge. It was a good year. :laugh:

Amarula! Are you going to make Springboks? springbok

All American Pressure Canner (21 quart)

New Covent Garden Food Co Soup for a Year cookbook

Basic Winemaking book (because our new house has a grapevine - Boskoop Glory grapes)

If you have Amarula, you're pretty much morally obligated to make a Springbok or two. Preferably while watching rugby.

I got a pressure washer. It's for properly deep-cleaning my 8-burner event grill I use in my volunteer cooking as well as my 3-burner high-power camp stove used for the same.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Can a pressure canner be used as a pressure cooker?

Or to flip the question, can a pressure cooker be used as a canning device?

Yes.

All pressure cookers/canners CAN NOT be used as pressure fryers however. This will likely cause a explosion and a bad case of kitchen napalm.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

I guess it's a Christmas gift that I bought myself. The owner of the condo where we are staying has agreed to sell me this set of nest acrylic bowls. Not a very good photo...

PA170032.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We bought a house the week before Christmas, so I got me a huge new kitchen! Yay. A proper kitchen, quite the step up from the apartment shoe box I've wrangled for the last 8 years. I get to start cooking in it at the end of January.

Other than that, the only thing I wanted (vociferously) was a meat grinder/sausage stuffer, so my family gave me money for that.

My boyfriend also bought me a few Christmas gifts (that I picked out) on a trip to Japan in early December; a wasabi grater, a tofu press, a little mother of pearl spoon, a beautiful hand-hammered copper pot, and two spoons from the same hand-hammering artisan's workshop.

2012-01-01 at 13.37.52.jpg

Oh, and the most ridiculous thing ever..a mould for turning hard boiled eggs square. Crucial bit of kit.

photo (2).JPG

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

We bought a house the week before Christmas, so I got me a huge new kitchen! Yay. A proper kitchen, quite the step up from the apartment shoe box I've wrangled for the last 8 years. I get to start cooking in it at the end of January.

Other than that, the only thing I wanted (vociferously) was a meat grinder/sausage stuffer, so my family gave me money for that.

My boyfriend also bought me a few Christmas gifts (that I picked out) on a trip to Japan in early December; a wasabi grater, a tofu press, a little mother of pearl spoon, a beautiful hand-hammered copper pot, and two spoons from the same hand-hammering artisan's workshop.

2012-01-01 at 13.37.52.jpg

Oh, and the most ridiculous thing ever..a mould for turning hard boiled eggs square. Crucial bit of kit.

photo (2).JPG

Well happy new year and congratulations on the house, and those are some lovely gifts! But the cubed egg thing... WOW. Poirot would squeal :wink:

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 3 weeks later...
the most ridiculous thing ever..a mould for turning hard boiled eggs square.

What a lovely strange thing. So, could you make a rectilinear deviled egg?

And congrats on the kitchen and home.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Just a bit belated - today I received a cookbook: "Dinner with Tom Jones" by Lorna J. Sass, published in 1977.

A great addition to my collection thanks to another eG member.

I also received an Eva Solo Apple Corer - I think I already have one somewhere in my stuff but it is an interesting "artistic" take on this usually basic utensil.

Also received a couple of teas from a friend who apparently thinks I need more. One is a Pu ehr tea from Rishi, and I don't drink this type of tea at all. The other is Peach Melba tea from Benchley which smells lovely but it is decaffeinated and I do not drink decaffeinated tea or coffee.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 11 months later...