• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Presents for the Kitchen: 2011

Kerry Beal

It's that day again - by now I assume most folks have had a chance to tear into their pressies and find out what they got.

Always interested to hear what goodies people received.

I didn't ask for a thing for my kitchen this year as I tend to get what I want when I decide I need it during the year. So this year I've been buying myself all sorts of cocktail gadgets and ingredients (you can't move in my living room for all the bottles of booze on the floor). Perhaps my next purchase should be a huge liquor cabinet. It would be faster than waiting for my hubby to build me one!

So the only thing I received that would be vaguely kitchen like was a box of liquor chocolates - a little like ice cubes to Eskimos - but from a favourite patient - so I'll enjoy them with friends.

I got: a set of three silicon brushes for the pastry drawer, a 24" silicone-bearing turntable for cake decoration, eight Spanish-style blown glass red wine tumblers with stubby stems (very neat), and a bottle of Amarula liqueur. Oh, and an extra fridge. It was a good year. :laugh:

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I scored big time this year. We opened our gifts last night and I'm still agog. Kitchen gifts I got from my swell hubby:

SousVide Professional Chef Series Immersion Circulator by Polyscience

Infrared Thermometer

Brod & Taylor folding proofer

Essential Pepin

Bodum Burr Coffee Grinder

IPad Holder for kitchen use Ricardo 2 in 1 measuring cup/scale

Fine Cooking 2011 Annual Collection DVD

Merry Christmas, everyone, wherever you are.

I got money, which I'll be using to pick out my OWN kitchen gifts...lol...I also got a meat slicer, which I actually opened early, since my dad (the one who bought it for me) wanted corned beef on the 20th for his birthday. :laugh:

Merry Christmas to all my friends on eGullet!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

A gorgeous Zojirushi induction rice cooker, the book "Cook like a Chef" and a gift certificate to one of our better grocery stores. A fine Christmas. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I got a black chef's jacket with my name embroidered on it. I'm an "Executive Chef" apparently :) Also a matching black and white apron and a Shun Utility knife with my intials engraved on it.

I love my husband.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Not a lot of kitchen stuff, but I did get a set of mixing bowls from my daughter, since I threaten to steal hers every time I cook in her kitchen. Oh, and a way-cool trivet made of wine corks by my youngest daughter; big enough to set a sizeable casserole on!

ETA: Merry Christmas/Happy Chanukah, everyone! My biggest Christmas present arrives next week, when my granddaughter comes for a four-day visit, along with her mom!

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I received an Emile Henry ceramic grilling/baking stone for the oven. Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks promising. The pizza stone formerly in the oven had seen better days, so nice timing. And from unrelated sources, a bottle of port and a box of Godiva truffles. I think we're set for next week.

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas!

Forgot to mention these ice cube trays. The ice cubes seem to last much longer than my ordinary cubes and it takes just the two trays to fill my in-freezer ice bin. Love 'em.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Big kitchen gift: a Lello gelato/ice cream maker. I guess it's time for me to learn something about making ice cream.

Most interesting among the small items: a silicone ladle. Sort of a cross between a spatula and a ladle. This could turn out to be a genius gadget--and I've never heard of such a thing before!

A set of cuisanart pans, a ninja, three attachments for my kitchenaid, ruhlmans charcuterie book.. and my favorite..a basket put together by so non foodie bff that includes olive oil, balsamic vinegar, spice grinder and about 10 little gorgeous tins of spices from a spice shop in SF she went to. She totally did her homework and i cant wait to experiment. She says she benefits because i then feed her. I also got cash that i think will be used for a smoker. Now to research what kind

A waffle maker, a few assorted cocktail glasses, a couple of nice super-hot hot sauces (I'm an occasional pain-junky with that stuff) and a big container of a really nice olive oil. Not directly kitchen related but I got the e-reader I wanted. It also reads pdf files so I'm assuming I can make my own recipe files and uae them on the reader... so it kinda ties into the kitchen.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

From my wife: Cuisinart griddler (grill/pannini press), (same issue as gfweb - where am I gonna store it?), large Lodge cast iron skillet, Essential Pepin.

Got myself a set of Tojiro Japanese knives: a santoku (Damascus finish), a gyuto, a sujihiki and a honesuki.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have enough gift certificates to Amazon to buy half a sous vide machine.....that's a big purchase for me and I'm not sure about it.

I need to study up to see which brand is the best.

Or maybe I'll chicken out lol.