• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime Rib Newbie

Goatjunky

I feel like this is such a basic question, but i just realized im not sure that im right. Tomorrow i will be cooking a prime rib for the second time ever. I bought a five pound roast and a four pound roast because i have a few people whi prefer it a little more done. Since they are two seperate roasts i i was planning on cooking time for the larger one. Timing for a five lb roast. But because i will have both in the oven at the same time do i need to adjust my cooking time?

If it is just an extra bone and more meat, whereas the thickness is the same. It makes no difference, bones conduct heat at the same speed in your case, no matter how many are side by side. But if other people like theirs more done, put this rack in the oven before the other.

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

A thermometer is the way to go. Get a remote thermometer with a probe cable. To see that others are doing, if you can find it look for a thread I started several years ago on cooking a roast low and slow. Good luck.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

A thermometer is the way to go. Get a remote thermometer with a probe cable. To see that others are doing, if you can find it look for a thread I started several years ago on cooking a roast low and slow. Good luck.

I did this this year (as I have in the past) and had an odd occurance. I have a probe thermometer with the cable that plugs into a unit. This unit will display the temp, but also transmit the temp via radio to another unit I can put in front of me while I, say, watch a football game on TV. That last bit is unrelated, but I think it's kind of cool.

Anyway, I inserted the probe and while the roast was sitting on the counter, the temp eventually read 38F. Totally expected as it was just out of the fridge. I put the roast into a 500 degree oven and immediately turned the temp down to 200. Within a few minutes, the temp read 56 degrees.

No way. The tip of the probe was as close to the center of the (admittedly smallish) 4.5lb roast as I could get. I reasoned that the 500 degree temp was conducting heat down the probe and figured that it would eventually resolve itself with the lower roasting temp. I used a second manual probe thermometer periodically to do sanity checks. Initially, the temp was off by 17 degrees and by the end it had gone down to 10-12 degrees off.

This was a thermometer I had used without issue before. And it seemed to start out reasonably this time, but quickly got out of whack.

I did this this year (as I have in the past) and had an odd occurance. I have a probe thermometer with the cable that plugs into a unit. This unit will display the temp, but also transmit the temp via radio to another unit I can put in front of me while I, say, watch a football game on TV. That last bit is unrelated, but I think it's kind of cool.

Anyway, I inserted the probe and while the roast was sitting on the counter, the temp eventually read 38F. Totally expected as it was just out of the fridge. I put the roast into a 500 degree oven and immediately turned the temp down to 200. Within a few minutes, the temp read 56 degrees.

No way. The tip of the probe was as close to the center of the (admittedly smallish) 4.5lb roast as I could get. I reasoned that the 500 degree temp was conducting heat down the probe and figured that it would eventually resolve itself with the lower roasting temp. I used a second manual probe thermometer periodically to do sanity checks. Initially, the temp was off by 17 degrees and by the end it had gone down to 10-12 degrees off.

This was a thermometer I had used without issue before. And it seemed to start out reasonably this time, but quickly got out of whack.

The lesson to learn here is that the probe should penetrate as much meat as possible before hitting center; if it's a steak it should go in the side rather than from the top or at an angle.

You can't do this with a roast because you'll see the hole in multiple slices, but I suppose you just need to start buying thicker roasts...