• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert to match Muscat

Mette

Hello, and happy holidays to you all.

Not quite yet Christmas, and already I need to think about dessert for New Years. My friends that are bringing the wine have bought Muscat da Beaumes de Venise "Hommage". I would normally go the 'chocolate-something and port' way on dessert, but I don't think chocolate and Muscat is probably a good match. So I need inspiration for something that both children from the age of 7 and grown ups will enjoy and that goes well with the wine.

Thanks very much

I like chocolate with muscat, and don't think it's a mistake, although large amount of glutinous, gloppy chocolate (e.g. chocolate cream cake) wouldn't seem like a great match.

My pick would be a selection of things that make for small, concentrated (flavour/texturally) bites, biscotti and panforte/some chocolates (recently, I've been going a bit amok with Peter Beyer's ale truffles, and also the ones with saffron and... rum? I think it's rum) or excellent quality dried/candied fruit in a thin layer of not-too-sweet dark chocolate would be good.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I’d make an almond cake flavored with some orange zest, and top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream or sweetened crème fraiche. If you have any good homemade fruit compote or preserve, I’d use it here, either to fill the cake or serve alongside the whipped cream.

An assortment of cookies would be welcome, especially biscotti or others that lend themselves to being dipped in the wine. You could serve your chocolate too, for those who want it.

Thanks for all the good ideas. Based on these, we'll go with individual pear frangipane tarts, vanilla ice cream and an elderflower/lemon syrup. I'll try to remember to take pictures, but at desserttime on NYE, the brain is sometimes not firing on all cylinders ;-)

Ok, so the (slightly melted) outcome was: pear frangipane tart on licorice powder and lemon/elderflower syrup with vanila ice cream and white chocolate with licorice powder.

IMAG0418.jpg

The licorice really made a big difference, and took it from ordinary to very tasty. Licorice, pear and elderflower is a winning combo