• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffing alternatives to bread in veal breast dish

thecuriousone

HI All-

I am making the stuffed breast of veal recipe in the december, 2011 BA and in reading the re cipe, it uses white bread for the stuffing. This veal breast is seared and then braised in liquid for 3 hours. It seems like the stuffing would be really wet and heavy.

Are there veggies that can be substituted in this stuffing that might make it lighter than the bread? I was thinking maybe sauteing some squash, shredding it and mixing it in as a portion of the bread. any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

It has been a long time since I made Julia's recipe and the book is in storage, but I seem to recall ground veal & pork with just a touch of bread crumbs to bind. There is a you-tube of her making stuffed breast of veal with Jody Adams that also includes pistachios and pecorino cheese. It sounds really good.

The use of matzo meal in some recipes also intrigues me.

The bread contains gluten and absorbent starch, all of which will hold it together. The squash will become mushy and fall apart in a 3 hour braise.

While I make a variety of stuffings for holiday meals, this particular dish probably needs the stuffing made as written.