• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Things in the Stove

Shel_B

My gas stove has a drawer at the bottom, beneath the oven heating element. I was wondering how safe it would be to store a few items in that drawer. I was thinking about some skillets, baking trays, and so on. It would seem that those items would not suffer from any heat produced by the oven. However, there are also some Tupperware type storage containers that I'd like to find a home for, and if they's be safe in the drawer, it would go a long way to freeing up some needed space in the cabinets and on the shelves. So, how might such items fare in that environment?

... Shel

I store sheet pans, some cast iron, cooling racks,pot lids, etc. in my oven-drawer but I wouldn't think of putting tupperware or anything not oven-safe in there. Just my take on it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I see so many people's ovens now that I cook in their houses. That bottom drawer is always stacked with pyrex and sheet pans. From the name of the thread I thought you were talking about storring directly IN the oven. I've made it a habit to check their oven for random stuff now before I turn it on. Especially the younger clients :wink:

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I see so many people's ovens now that I cook in their houses. That bottom drawer is always stacked with pyrex and sheet pans. From the name of the thread I thought you were talking about storring directly IN the oven. I've made it a habit to check their oven for random stuff now before I turn it on. Especially the younger clients :wink:

My mom stored all sorts of things directly in the oven, and, I must shamefully admit, when guests arde coming by and I need to straighten up quickly, the oven is a great place to quickly stash a few items. So is the dishwasher, BTW <LOL>

... Shel