• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2012 New Year Food Resolutions

weinoo

Now I'm not normally big on making New Year's resolutions, because I, ahem, never keep them.

But, for the New Year 2012, I resolve to try at least one new "recipe" a month. Doesn't sound like much, does it?

I also resolve to start writing down recipes as I bake and cook.

And you?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I resolve to try out one new grain every week...when I run out, I'll go back and do some experimenting with recipes involving grains other than wheat.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

In January, (I can't make a resolution beyond the first month of the New Year), I resolve to cook all the Holiday recipes that I ran out of time to cook in November and December.

Mitch -- I highly recommend your resolution! Four years ago, I made a resolution to make one new recipe a week, and I've kept it for the past four years. I keep a record of all the new recipes I try, and the whole thing has hugely enriched my cooking. This year alone I've tried 90 new recipes, and I love looking back and seeing which were the highlights when the year is over.

Mitch -- I highly recommend your resolution! Four years ago, I made a resolution to make one new recipe a week, and I've kept it for the past four years. I keep a record of all the new recipes I try, and the whole thing has hugely enriched my cooking. This year alone I've tried 90 new recipes, and I love looking back and seeing which were the highlights when the year is over.

Wow - very impressive! That only makes me want to keep my resolution even more.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I resolve to start each day with a 1-oz shot of cider vinegar.

Can you explain?

Living at extreme altitude (low oxygen content in my air!) means that my body produces about 25-30% more red blood corpuscles than somebody living at sea level to 500 masl. This means my blood is that much thicker. My doctor has advised me that I have to something to thin my blood out a bit so that living won't be so hard on my heart, and he gave me the choice of taking the shot of vinegar daily or taking warfarin. I don't like the idea of eating even small amounts of rat poison, so I'm going with the vinegar. :blink:

So, basically, my resolution is actually "I will not eat rat poison this year" but the other phrasing sounds a lot better. :laugh:

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

1. Eat less!

2. Learn to cook some Sichuan dishes from Fuchsia Dunlop's book.

With you there on #1! and I can recommend #2 as being very rewarding.

My goal is to take a proper lunch to school AND eat it every day.

Eat less crap when I travel... seriously, when I'm travelling, I eat things I'd feel embarrassed to even suggest to another person (this partly comes about because I'm trying to accomodate a couple of food sensitivities I have, but still). This happens mostly in transit, not when I'm at my destination, but after all, there's ostrich jerky and there's ostrich jerky (and thanks, Mitch, for drawing my attention to the former).

And I need to experiment more. I feel stuck, and haven't a spectacular food-related disaster in longer than I can remember, so I'm clearly playing it way too safe.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Eat less crap when I travel... seriously, when I'm travelling, I eat things I'd feel embarrassed to even suggest to another person (this partly comes about because I'm trying to accomodate a couple of food sensitivities I have, but still). This happens mostly in transit, not when I'm at my destination

I suppose that problems arise in traveling because of the area you may be traveling in. We travel across the USA twice a year and it works out quite well for us, even with two large dogs.

We start out with certain foods...we can't take any meat across the USA border...salmon, container of homemade hummus, and go from there. On the other hand, we have decided not to eat at certain 'useful' salad-providing chains anymore for political reasons which has added to the problem. But along the routes there are grocery chains which mean salad bars or made salads or salad fixing, augmented by tortillas, red salmon, hummus, etc. A plastic bag with pecans and 70% chocolate discs for desperate munchings.

Breakfasts are granola for DH with yoghurt in our plug-in cooler and a shake for me using powdred protein isolate and my BlenderBottle (such a neat utensil).

It's not exciting, but the chocolate and pecans help a lot and we don't a) get sick or oogy, and b) don't snack on calorie-laden 'crap'.

But that's by land and in the USA. :smile:

And really the above was our last year's resolution which we kept this November totally! First time.

I'll get back with a new one...perhaps. Not this week.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My father swears by vinegar. Hes 76, healthy as a horse. And takes it twice a day for years. Here is a quote about its supposed benefits

Apple Cider Vinegar, that wonderful old-timers home remedy, cures more ailments than any other folk remedy -- we're convinced! From the extensive feedback we've received over the past 8 years, the reported cures from drinking Apple Cider Vinegar are numerous. They include cures for allergies (including pet, food and environmental), sinus infections, acne, high cholesterol, flu, chronic fatigue, candida, acid reflux, sore throats, contact dermatitis, arthritis, and gout. Apple Cider Vinegar also breaks down fat and is widely used to lose weight. It has also been reported that a daily dose of apple cider vinegar in water has high blood pressure under control in two weeks!

My own resolution is to compost. Not exactly a food resolution, but then again it is.

Just one for 2012, but it's a biggie: I resolve to discard/waste less food due to poor planning or neglect.

I'm with you on this one...as I have a half pan of Christmas stuffed calamari sitting in my fridge...I think meal planning is the key to this. My problem is that I don't shop at the supermarket so I tend to buy what my butcher, produce guy, etc. has that week that looks good.

Let's see ...

1) Be a little more innovative. Getting a monthly meat box delivery, and weekly veg/salad/fruit boxes delivered from the beginning of January, so I'm hoping the contents will help be cook things that I don't usually buy. I can look see what will be in the boxes online on the Monday, and the boxes arrive on the Thursday, so hopefully I will still be able to plan for minimal waste.

2) Get to grips with pasty in various forms. Probably not all, but at least 4 different types of pastry turning out reliably well.

3) Have a year of preserving. Pickles, jams, salsas ... anything. Got me a 21 quart All American Pressure Canner for Chrismas, which will really help. There is a limit to the amount I'm prepared to process in an electric pressure cooker that takes 1 pound jar at a time!

Off Topic bits ...

Its been about 2 years since I last posted anything here, due to

1) working my way through the freezer contents in our old house (took months) and getting rid of junk before international move, then making the move

2) living in temporary accommodation for 6 months (with a combi microwave and kettle) and buying a house with a disgusting kitchen (OK others probably thought it was fine but the gas oven couldn't get to more than 140C on Gas Mark

Happily, the kitchen has now been gutted and rebuilt (almost, but the few things waiting to be done don't affect the kitchen's use)

My father swears by vinegar. Hes 76, healthy as a horse. And takes it twice a day for years. Here is a quote about its supposed benefits

Apple Cider Vinegar, that wonderful old-timers home remedy, cures more ailments than any other folk remedy -- we're convinced! From the extensive feedback we've received over the past 8 years, the reported cures from drinking Apple Cider Vinegar are numerous. They include cures for allergies (including pet, food and environmental), sinus infections, acne, high cholesterol, flu, chronic fatigue, candida, acid reflux, sore throats, contact dermatitis, arthritis, and gout. Apple Cider Vinegar also breaks down fat and is widely used to lose weight. It has also been reported that a daily dose of apple cider vinegar in water has high blood pressure under control in two weeks!

I've heard about the health benefits of black vinegar, supposedly an old Japanese health tonic. I'd be interested in hearing more about apple cider health folklore if you have a link.

For me, I'm going to try to master terrines and pates. And take better food pics.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I also resolve to start writing down recipes as I bake and cook.

THIS is a biggy! My husband, the engineer, has begged me for decades to keep "lab notes" of my kitchen endeavors.

One can cook with gay abandon...or one can keep lab notes! :laugh:

I wish you well but have no intention of joining your resolution.

I get so involved in my "experiments" that I forget to write notes, so I got one of the voice-activated recorders and as I often talk to myself anyway, it's not all that difficult to describe what I am doing and the amounts I am using as I go. I am often surprised when I transcribe it because by then I had forgotten that I added a particular ingredient or used an unusual implement.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've heard about the health benefits of black vinegar, supposedly an old Japanese health tonic. I'd be interested in hearing more about apple cider health folklore if you have a link.

For me, I'm going to try to master terrines and pates. And take better food pics.

This link is fairly comprehensive.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)